Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
$2500 burning a hole in my pocket
Quote | Reply
My company got bought out by another company, and as part of the deal, I got a pretty sizable "retention bonus" to stay on through the transition period. So, I can take a part of that and spend it on something "fun."

I've been riding a 60cm Trek 2200 SL with Mavic Kysrium Elite wheels and a mixed-bag of components (105, DuraAce, Ultegra) that I bought used for $600 in January. I ride about 200 miles per week - usually 4, 50 mile rides.

Getting ready for my first "real" triathlon - a sprint, but it'll be real hilly and extremely hot. I'd like to treat myself to either a new bike or some new components. I'm still a bit of a bike newbie, so I turn to you, the knowledgeable for assistance and guidance.

Would you:

1) Take advantage of the SRAM Red deal that Westernbikeworks.com has right now - full SRAM Red set-up, with ceramic BB bearings and Zero-G calipers for about $1700, and upgrade the current bike.

2) Buy a new Tri bike, like the Felt B12 or Cervelo P2C

I'm leaning toward the B12, but I'm not sure if I would benefit by spending $3000 for a bike. I called Tom @ Bikesport, and they don't have any my size (I need a 60cm, as I'm 6'4"), so I'd have to pay the full retail ($2699) and buy closer to home rather than taking advantage of Tom's awesome pricing.

I know you guys hate these kinds of questions, but I've been wracking my brain for a few weeks trying to decide what to do, and I really could use your help. Thanks in advance.
Last edited by: geekysteve: May 28, 08 16:47
Quote Reply
Re: $2500 burning a hole in my pocket [geekysteve] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
new bike, unless you plan on racing lots of road the new component group would not make much of a difference.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
P2C Ultegra, tri suit, aero helmet.

------------------------------------------------
Ann Arbor Triathlon Club

Follow me on Twitter
Quote Reply
Re: $2500 burning a hole in my pocket [DaveV] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I bought the Felt B12 for $2,400 locally and love it. The P2C Ultegra and Felt B12 are both awesome bikes. I'd go and find a bike shop that has the Felt B12 and then tell them that you want to pay $2,400 for it and tell them that you will buy it that day if they agree to your terms (it helps if you can pay cash, too). That's kinda what I did to get mine, though I already had a relationship with the bike shop. Good luck!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hookers & blow...

every

single

time

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Re: $2500 burning a hole in my pocket [Khai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Hookers & blow...

every

single

time

You've really been into hookers and blow lately haven't you?

"your horse is too high" - tigerchik
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Hookers & blow...

every

single

time
I'll 2nd this recommendation... it's easily the most logical...

Founder of THE TRIATHLON COLLECTIVE (Closed Facebook Group). A SBR discussion group without the white noise/trolling!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
x 2 for a P2C. Keep the roady as a training bike. Upgrading the 2200 is a waste of money. Everyone needs at least 2 bikes.

Brad

3SIXTY5cycling.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Hookers & blow...

Ah, yes... I call that "the Rodney King Savings Plan".

---
"You'll find a slight squeeze on the hooter an excellent safety precaution, Miss Scrumptious."

"I can live with doubt and uncertainty and not knowing. I think it is much more interesting to live not knowing than to have answers that might be wrong." -- Richard Feynman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am submitting a vote for hookers & blow! :D

Quote | Reply
Well, as tempting as the hookers and blow sounds, that's likely to be short-lived pleasure... a new B12 would probably provide a more satisfying long term ROI. :-D

Ok, so it sounds like the new bike is the way to go. I'm at a bit of a disadvantage as far as dealing on price goes - the nearest Felt dealer is over 200 miles away, so I don't have a LBS that I can leverage a relationship with. I may just have to bite the bullet and call it good at $2699. Dangit.

Again, thanks to all for the help and replies. Your input is greatly appreciated!

I'll post pics when I get it, and yes - the cranks will be parallel and the bike will be in top gear.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dude. your trek is a piece of shit. buy a 2500 buck handbuilt custom frame/fork. a Strong, say, or a beautiful Waterford. a Steelman or an IF. maybe a local builder. there are boundless possibilities in this vein, with the common thread being it will be something killa that will actually get sweeter every year you own it. put the mixed bag of parts on there for now - that is fine. this what you should do.
Last edited by: t-t-n: May 28, 08 18:47
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
New bike. Or hookers and blow.

Upgrading that used bike is pointless, and won't actually do anything tangible for you.

Unless you can then sell it, and use the proceeds to get hookers and blow. ;-)

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Buy a new road bike....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Having owned and ridden both the 2007 Felt B2 and the P2C, I preferred the ride and feel of the P2C over the B2. Both are really nice bikes but I found the ride of the B2 to be a little harsher. The Cervelo seatpost is ingenious as well whereas I got really tired hearing the Felt's squeak and rattle all the time. I think both will be an enjoyable upgrade over what you are riding now. Tough decision but one in which you can't go wrong. Let us know which one you end up with.

Team Endurance Nation
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In your shoes, with my abilities, I would spend 1500 getting a nice used bike, or a new P2SL or S22, get wheels, a helmet, and some swim lessons.

Certainly going to make you faster than just buying an out of box P2C.

The last thing I would do is upgrade that 2200, keep it as a second bike, and youll have something you do not need to worry about.

Just my .02

Last edited by: Rycase: May 29, 08 1:37
Quote Reply
Re: $2500 burning a hole in my pocket [Rycase] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In your shoes, with my abilities, I would spend 1500 getting a nice used bike, or a new P2SL or S22, get wheels, a helmet, and some swim lessons.

We have a winner!

x2

:-)

Jodi
Quote Reply
Re: $2500 burning a hole in my pocket [Rycase] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
x3. Finding a used, practically new bike is a great way to go. I just picked up a 2007 QRoo Seduza with only about 100 miles on it for 1400.00 including ultegra pedals (it is mint!). That saved me over 1700 bucks on the retail price with pedals. If you don't lock yourself mentally into going with one bike (you seem to have decided on the Felt) then you can save yourself a pile of money by finding someone who just did a triathlon or two to check off a life goal, or someone who gets a new sponsor. The deals are out there, you just have to be flexible. You also have to get measured/fitted professionally so you know as closely as possible what size you need in a few different models. You may need a 60 cm in a Felt, but that could be equivalent to a 61 in brand x or a 58 in brand y.

-Mike
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

I'm leaning toward the B12, but I'm not sure if I would benefit by spending $3000 for a bike. I called Tom @ Bikesport, and they don't have any my size (I need a 60cm, as I'm 6'4"),
You need to get fitted, you might be surprised. I am about your height (6'3 3/4"), and after being measured had the option of either a 56cm or 58cm frame on the B12. I actually fit better on the 56cm.
Quote Reply
Re: $2500 burning a hole in my pocket [Guero] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Man, you guys are the best - I'm really appreciative of all of the good info. Never would've dreamed that a 56 would be an option; everyone I've called to talk with about a new bike says, "oh, you'll need a 60cm" - they say it almost immediately, so that's what I assumed I would need.

Couple of additional questions:

1) If you don't live near a bike shop that has anything other than Trek and/or low end Cannondale, what's the solution for getting fitted? I hate to drive 200+ miles each way to a good bike shop, get fitted, and then find out it'll be 8-10 weeks before I can get a bike. But, if that's what I have to do, I'll do it.

2) Any good spots to find a good used bike? I stumbled across mine on craigslist - I'm assuming I should just keep my eye open on regional craigslists?

Road bike is an interesting idea... I think I'd like the Tri geometry better, although I do have a lot of climbing to do where I live - we're in the foothills of the Ozarks, so my rides go from 800-1600 feet in short order and often. Perhaps a nice Specialized road bike would be a better option? Argh - too many things to consider. :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
2) Any good spots to find a good used bike? I stumbled across mine on craigslist - I'm assuming I should just keep my eye open on regional craigslists

Ummm. Hello. ST Classifieds perhaps? ;)

Forget the roadie. Unless you are going to be racing crits, you've got one that works fine. You will notice an appreciable difference with a new tri-bike. Not only that, the new bike lust translates into wanting to ride more.

Brad

3SIXTY5cycling.com
Quote Reply
Re: $2500 burning a hole in my pocket [hillier99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I love the ST classifieds, but never seem to see anything that looks like it'll fit me. :-( That, and I really hate buying sight unseen.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0YJrduz6LM

Classic tune on the subject. Bubbles rocks!

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Welcome to reality. This is the one thing that annoys me about a lot of ST posters when asked their opinion on specific bikes and sizing. The default answer is always the same, "Go and get fit on 3-4 different bikes, in different sizes, and ride them all, then see which is best."

Unfortunately, this is the case for like 10% of people. The closest Felt dealer is 200+ miles, what are the chances they carry more than one or two more brands? About 50/50 chance I would say. Say you did live in Michigan. Tom D has a great shop, but even he doesn't have a B12 in stock in your probable size for you to try and compare against say a Cervelo or QR. (I didn't call, but just going off your earlier post). And his shop is exceptional when it comes to brand selection.

Here is a list of negatives when it comes to the optimal bike buying experience. When you factor in everything, the chances of all these hitting the mark are basically nil, but on a positive note you should try to hit as many as possible:

Finding a dealer that is somewhat close and convenient. (Sub 5 hour drive).
That close and convenient dealer has 2-3-4 tri bike brands to choose from.
1-2 of those 2-3-4 bike brands happen to be a decent fit for you.
Of those 1-2 they actually have your size in stock in both.
You get fit on BOTH bikes and trial ride them.
The price is reasonable on the bike that works the best for you.
You get the bike.

------------------------------------------------------------
Did you touch my drumset? Nope. Why are you so sweaty? I was watching Cops.
Quote Reply
Re: $2500 burning a hole in my pocket [Dr. Bearmilk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do what I did: go to the best fitter you can find, THEN ask for the measurements and what bikes are suitable for your needed geometry. I ended up with a deal on a very high end bike and did not have to worry about continually working on my fit. My first cheap tri bike was close to fitting,but just off enough to be a continual headache my first year of racing!
Quote Reply

Prev Next