Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

$200 HRM suggestions
Quote | Reply
I searched the forums, but couldn't come up with much useful information. I'm hoping someone can give me some insight as to which HRMs I might consider, based on your experience with said model (obviously I can do the research on feature vs. feature, etc., but I'm more interested in personal experience).

So, my criteria are as follows:

$200 or less, somewhat negotiable but I don't want to hear about $500 stuff
Must be able to wear under water (don't care if it works in the water, but I don't want it to get ruined in the water... bonus if it actually works in water)
Basic stopwatch & heartrate functionality at a minimum
Don't care about cycling computer functionality such as speed, cadence, etc., bonus if it can be (reasonably) integrated later
Don't care about GPS functionality

Then, I'll give preference to watches that have extra capabilities, such as data analysis/upload/download capabilities, training software (pref. over website), foot pods, etc. I'm a gadget guy, so the more data analysis I can do w/ the thing, the better.

Obviously I'll look at Polar, Timex, Garmin, etc. Any others? Specific models? Any thoughts on/experience with the "budget" watches out there?

Thanks in advance...
Quote Reply
Re: $200 HRM suggestions [NotYoMama] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You can get the Garmin 305 w/ HR for $200 and for about $60 more get the bike mount and cadence/spd sensor so you will have a pretty capable run/bike computer. Best value out there IMO
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
timex easy to use and dependable use a cheap polar(as little as $10.)on bike and on wrist but it does not have timer have used expensive polar(s625x)but it is too complex to use especially when I get race brain
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The garmin 305s are nice, but its not something that I would go swimming with.
Quote Reply
Re: $200 HRM suggestions [moberballs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a black on black screen Suunto T3, the strap needs replacing. I recently dropped the coin on the T6 and thats why its up for sale. make an offer
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Polar S625x if you can find it on sale, which isn't terribly difficult. It has all the features you list plus more. (It's a great platform which can be expanded with additional sensors etc.). I came to it after using other similar products by Suunto and Garmin, none of which I really cared for. Based on my experience the Polar is reliable, easy to set up, and easy to use -- contrary to the frequent claim that it's way too complicated. (To those making this claim I have one thing to say: read the manual first.) I use both the cycling and running functions with the footpod and speed/cadence bike sensors. The Polar chest strap is the most comfortable chest strap I've ever worn -- no chafing, period. The only complaint I can think of is that the footpod could be a bit smaller/sleeker, but honestly aesthetics is just about at the very bottom of my list of criteria for selecting a good HRM.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You really want the RS400 with no footpod(it isslightly more than $200), the data from downloading to Protrainer5 is world class, used by a few Olympic teams. If no RS400, then the RS200(no fpod). The S625x should be more than the $200 requirement, the RS200 will provide info on training zones, timers for repeats, a huge step up from the Polar RS100.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would grab this. It is way below Polar's legal price. We have problems with them selling so low, Please consider this. I would post on Slowtwitch about Polar's software for your data review.

http://www.jomashop.com/...nning-hrm-rs400.html
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for all the help & suggestions everyone... I'll be sure to let you know what I decide. Lots of good info... Now if I could just figure out the correct height for my seat :)
Quote Reply