Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

$2000 for upgrades
Quote | Reply
So I have a 2013 Trek SC 7 Series and about $2000 I can spend on upgrades.

My season is as follows:

April - 70.3 Galveston
June - 70.3 Eagleman
July - IM Lake Placid
September - Savageman
October - Kona if I qualify

I thinking upgrade as follows - all comment appreciated I'm interested in most bang for my buck. I am 41 years old - 5'9" 160lbs -I average 19/20mph over 56 miles and a little less as distance increases. Over the winter I already upgraded to some Look Keo blade Carbon pedals.

1. Flo wheels - a disc for the back and 90 for the front - most aggressive option - if I make Kona I will buy a 90 for the rear later in the year
2. A new cassette for the rear for ease of wheel changing
3. I'd like a new saddle for comfort
4. Rotor Q rings and new cranks
5. Yearly basics - new tires,bar tapes etc

That is about the $2000 gone I'd guess - is it well spent?

Thanks.....
Quote Reply
Re: $2000 for upgrades [mex99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well to qualify for Kona you are going to have to get more bike speed than the equipment unless a uber runner and uber swimmer
Last edited by: Kenney: Mar 2, 14 7:02
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You have a power meter already?

What helmet do you have now? Does it "match" well for your postion?

Training aides?

Coach? Training plan?

I thnk sometimes it's better to focus on equipment that helps you train more effcient and effectively and with more motivation, than equipment that might gain you 0.1mph in a race.

THe biggest gains I recieved from getting a nice fancy zipp 808FC rear wheel was the motivation ot train and race harder. It's like I needed to prove that wheel was faster. Sure it was a little faster, but my fitness is what really made me faster.

19-20mph isn't real fast even in your age group on a hilly course. I't keep focusing on quality and volume on the bike if you really want to make Kona.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For aero speed improvements, start with:

1 .Body position
2. Aero helmet properly utilized
3. Aero wheels with optimized tires

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you have a power meter? If not I would definitely ditch the crank/Q-rings "upgrade" and go that route... used quarq or stages should still fit in your $2k budget along with the wheels and saddle. The extra cassette is a luxury if it's just a duplicate of what you're already riding.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Make sure the Rotor rings and crank are what you need. Test them out! It's an expensive mistake otherwise.
Quote Reply
Re: $2000 for upgrades [AG Tri Newbie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the feedback - I do have a coach, good heart rate monitor, aero helmet. I've also spent some extra money on swim coaching over the winter and have seen some improvement there. I don't have a power meter though - maybe that is better way forward.

In reality I am a couple of hours away from Kona qualification - and I know 19/20mph is fairly average..... gotta keep trying though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not to be a dick, but Kona is a long way off at that speed on the bike. What I would do...

1. Power meter and some literature to help you use it effectively. (This could be your entire budget or you could buy used or a Stages and have some left over.)
2. Bike fit.
3. An aero helmet if you don't already have one.
4. The opposite cassette of what you have. Your races are on very different courses. I'd want an 11-23 and an 11 or 12-28. Then you can swap accordingly based on the course.

If you need a new saddle because you are having issues that's definitely worth checking out. Personally, I wouldn't drop a dime on Rotor Q rings, but that's just me. I don't think that will gain you a thing.

Quote | Reply
Which wheels are you using now? If you're using stock wheels a aero-wheel upgrading is making a significant improvent in speed (and motivation). That and a power meter (a used SRM is a good option, I'm using a old wired Dura-Ace SRM on one of my bikes, works excellent and will cost you maybe $600). The powermeter is great asset to you training, and awesome extremely usefull for pacing the bike leg and go hard enough, but not blowing up your running legs
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Powermeter for sure. And not just because I'm selling one ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Get a wheecover. $80, take your wife on a riding holiday with the rest. (Do more riding)

(I'm 66 and faster than that on a Dual)
Quote Reply
Re: $2000 for upgrades [phog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks again, yes I am using the standard wheels and I will look closely at a powermeter.

I am glad you are faster than me - I am a disabled athlete and I'm doing my best with what I have.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mex99 wrote:
Thanks again, yes I am using the standard wheels and I will look closely at a powermeter.

I am glad you are faster than me - I am a disabled athlete and I'm doing my best with what I have.

Well don't I feel like a doofus, apologies. Although in some small defense it might help if you mentioned that.
Quote Reply
Re: $2000 for upgrades [phog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not a problem - I didn't mention it as I didn't think it was relevant to the question.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Take $700 of that and go to Ride-faster.com, get a fit and jump into the wind tunnel......

The biggest gains are made with the biggest thing warped all over the bike. I've been there a few times and have always felt like it was the best "bang for the buck" I've spend on being aero.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry to say this... But you aren't going to Kona if that is how fast you ride a bike.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
New Training/Racing Log - http://www.earthdaykid.com/blog --- Old Training/Racing Log - http://colinlaughery.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mex99 wrote:

Well if you're missing a left leg, don't get a Stages PM.

I think sometimes we're all a little disabled... I mean hell, if you can't swim like Chura or Potts, Bike like Rapp, Starky, MacKenzie or Kienle, or run like Carfrae, your just not getting it done now are you?

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply