Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

$20, Cardboard Bicycle Could 'Change The World,' Inventor Says
Quote | Reply
NPR link here
a one liner comes to mind is "at least he's thinking outside the box"

...amongst the one of many others. ..just putting out there.

age is just a number after your name
Quote Reply
Re: $20, Cardboard Bicycle Could 'Change The World,' Inventor Says [AussieMikeinSD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AussieMikeinSD wrote:
NPR link here

It'll change the world until it starts to rain, that is ...

- Pete

Luckily my over eating disorder is offset by my over exercising disorder
Quote Reply
Re: $20, Cardboard Bicycle Could 'Change The World,' Inventor Says [AussieMikeinSD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AussieMikeinSD wrote:
NPR link here

Pretty cool for the 3rd world. Doubtful it's UCI compliant however #FirstWorldProblems

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Chicks are like Voltron, the more you can get, the better it is." -Tucker
Quote Reply
Re: $20, Cardboard Bicycle Could 'Change The World,' Inventor Says [Big-Pete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Big-Pete wrote:
AussieMikeinSD wrote:
NPR link here

^^This guy didn't click the link...

I tweet!

Quote Reply
Re: $20, Cardboard Bicycle Could 'Change The World,' Inventor Says [ZackC.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ZackC. wrote:
Big-Pete wrote:
AussieMikeinSD wrote:
NPR link here

No he didn't. If this is true: "How did he do it? As Reuters says, "once the shape has been formed and cut, the cardboard is treated with a secret concoction made of organic materials to give it its waterproof and fireproof qualities." then this is going to change the world.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
we cant seem to perfect brakes for carbon wheels... Now we have to start thinking about brakes for cardboard wheels?! I also wonder if he went with a tubular or clincher wheelset.

TeamRWB
Louisville Landsharks
follow me on Twitter @mlzervas
Quote Reply
Re: $20, Cardboard Bicycle Could 'Change The World,' Inventor Says [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ajthomas wrote:
ZackC. wrote:
Big-Pete wrote:
AussieMikeinSD wrote:
NPR link here

No he didn't. If this is true: "How did he do it? As Reuters says, "once the shape has been formed and cut, the cardboard is treated with a secret concoction made of organic materials to give it its waterproof and fireproof qualities." then this is going to change the world.

OK, fine. I admit it. I didnt. I read another article a month ago that didnt mention the waterproofing and fire retardant qualities. As such, I'll ammend my statement.
It'll change the world by leaving discarded cheap bicycles broken in two across the developing world, with a secret concoction of organic materials seeping into the the last dregs of fresh groundwater poisoning the entire populous of the developing world.

- Pete

Quote Reply
Re: $20, Cardboard Bicycle Could 'Change The World,' Inventor Says [AlphaQ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AlphaQ wrote:
AussieMikeinSD wrote:
NPR link here

Pretty cool for the 3rd world. Doubtful it's UCI compliant however #FirstWorldProblems
Forget UCI compliant. Can you do THIS on a cardboard bike??

- Pete

Quote Reply
Re: $20, Cardboard Bicycle Could 'Change The World,' Inventor Says [Big-Pete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
impressive downhilling -
but this is more impressive.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZmJtYaUTa0

Hilly Flats Racing

Quote Reply
Re: $20, Cardboard Bicycle Could 'Change The World,' Inventor Says [JChapATX] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JChapATX wrote:
but this is more impressive.
incorrect
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Big-Pete wrote:
AlphaQ wrote:
AussieMikeinSD wrote:
NPR link here

Forget UCI compliant. Can you do THIS on a cardboard bike??

That would be a sweet addition to the Single Speed Worlds, $20 bike downhill! If this bike goes into mass production I might suggest it :D

Chicks are like Voltron, the more you can get, the better it is." -Tucker
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i'd like to make this a fixie and ride it around williamsburg
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I still think that you did not read the article. It mentioned that the bike can be recycled and that it will be cheap enough to buy another bike or a new bike every year, if you can afford it in a third world country. Oh hell READ the article!

-----------------------------------------------------------
"You do what you have to do , so can do what you want to do."
Quote Reply
Re: $20, Cardboard Bicycle Could 'Change The World,' Inventor Says [duron43] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I love his line at the end- 'and my favorite part is: it's made out of cardboard!'

I do find it a little hard to believe the $20 price though. That implies a price to the bike shop owner of maybe $15, and production price of what, $10? I'm guessing that's possible in the far east, but then you have the shipping costs. OTOH, you could build on site, but it looks extremely labor intensive. It's hard to believe you could source the cardboard, waterproofer, paint, tires, and brake for $10-15.

I'd totally buy one for $20 though.
Quote Reply
Re: $20, Cardboard Bicycle Could 'Change The World,' Inventor Says [avatar78] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here try this link it talks beriefly about how he can manufacture and sell it for $20, a lot of it is based around government recycling incentives. I'm not sure if that will actually work in NA but maybe in Europe, I would love to have one but not painted just with clear coat so you can see the cardboard.

http://news.yahoo.com/...entor-090732689.html
Quote Reply
Re: $20, Cardboard Bicycle Could 'Change The World,' Inventor Says [duron43] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
duron43 wrote:
I still think that you did not read the article. It mentioned that the bike can be recycled and that it will be cheap enough to buy another bike or a new bike every year, if you can afford it in a third world country. Oh hell READ the article!

Oh hell, Have you ever been to a third world country? If you have, you'll recall that nearly NOTHING that CAN be recycled IS recycled. Rather, it is usually left at the at the precise point that its useful life has ended; be it a plastic cup, aluminum can, a cardboard sign, bottle of motor oil, rusted out motor bike, dead animal, you name it. The only way this thing gets recycled is if there is incentive to do so, which would increase the cost to manufacture and market significantly. And just because something is made out of secret organic materials, doesn't mean that it is non-toxic. The world is full of toxic organic products. If you dont believe me, then drink a nice big glass of this organic stuff and let me know how that goes for you.

- Pete

Quote Reply