Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

$2,899 Plasma versus $2,500 P2SL
Quote | Reply
What an odd match up but at their respective prices, very interesting.

The Cervelo seems much better equipped with Dura Ace components and FSA Carbon Cranks. And some nice aerobars to boot.

But who can resist the carbon frame the Scott offers? After all, one can upgrade the 105 componentry throughout, if they feel so inclined, $70 or $80 at a time. How easy is it to upgrade the frame one carbon tube at a time?

I'm afraid of the lack of adjustability in the Scott seat post. I am afraid of the rear derailleur set up on the Plasma as well. But I think I could get used to it. First I need to make sure it fits.
Quote Reply
Re: $2,899 Plasma versus $2,500 P2SL [anonymo_8] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thats about what I paid for my 42" plasma, but what a great HD picture!

--------------
Elivis needs boats.
Quote Reply
Re: $2,899 Plasma versus $2,500 P2SL [Schwingding] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good one. I get equal enjoyment from both my Plasma, also a 42 inch, and my bikes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are you able to articulate why you want carbon? If money is a factor, then I would say the P2SL. If you absolutely need carbon, then get the P2C. You will spend a lot less money getting a P2C now than you would by getting the Scott with lots of components you need to upgrade.
Quote Reply
Re: $2,899 Plasma versus $2,500 P2SL [Flanagan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Money isn't so much the issue until you start talking about the P2C.

The P2C is $750 more than the Scott Plasma Team price here in town. I am just thinking, it's less expensive down the road to upgrade components than a frame. I just am wary of Scott as a company as they are still relatively new on the scene.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you buy the Plasma team there is no need to think you will have to upgrade the 105 components. I might buy the Plasma Pro just because I can get a great club discount, but if you lose a race on the Plasma Team it won't be because of the 105 componentry, it's good stuff. If you want to throw on a DA rear derailleur at some point go ahead, but the 105 is more than adequate.

By the way, plenty of adjustablity on the saddle too, the binder gives you about 2 inches, if you need to adjust your saddle height more than 2 inches you are probably on the wrong size frame.

Portside Athletics Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
scott started as a company in 1958
cervelo in 1995
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I first decide which 'mafia' to join, then select the bike. My comfort level is with the brand first, from there the options are far fewer. I went on Scott's web site and they make snowmobiles, paintball stuff etc. Cervelo only makes bikes, and certainly is 'god' in the tri world. On top of that you have principals like Gerard here who freely pipe in with their advice. I think it matters, this is not jiust a busines to them. Once you pick the brand, you do need to decide frame material, then the choices become fairly quick and limited. I went P2C because I wanted carbon. Can I articulate why I must have carbon? Somewhat, but I didn't want regrets later on when I could ;-). It's not the only way to decide on bikes, it's just a way. If you are going aluminum, then also look at the Dual, that baby is in a class of its own.

----------------------------------------
I ride a Cervelo...get over it....
Quote Reply
Re: $2,899 Plasma versus $2,500 P2SL [Flanagan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agreed. This is NOT a knock against Scott or a patent endorsement of Cervelo but you have to ask yourself what the desperate need for a carbon frame is. Our host here, Dan E. AKA Slowman, has said it himself - The REAL value this year is in the high end aluminum bikes. Bikes like the P2SL were being ridden to victor in stages in the Tour de France and wins on the Ironman circuit including IMH just a couple of years ago before this obsession with carbon took hold. How much bike do you need?

Fleck

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply