Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
$2,000: Get Carbon Frame or Upgrade components?
Quote | Reply
I currently ride a 2005 P3 (aluminum) with Ultegra components, carbon hydrotail and Flashpointe 60 wheels. I'm trying to determine where money would be better spent to get lighter (and ultimately faster). Should I keep the frame and upgrade components to get the weight down? How much could I conceivably reduce in weight - I don't know. Alternatively I could change out the frame to a much newer carbon frame and keep my components. Will I recognize any change in weight from the 2 options?

What would you do? I understand the frame choice is extremely personal so I'm not necessarily searching for "what frame should I get", but looking for more guidance from those much more experienced than I.

Thanks for your input!
Quote Reply
Re: $2,000: Get Carbon Frame or Upgrade components? [edrusk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
weight has very little impact on time.

and there aren't many carbon frames more aerodynamic than what you have now.

you could maybe get a P3C frame and pick up a bit of speed.

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If it were me I'd upgrade something other than the frame first. Maybe you could use a powermeter...
Quote Reply
Re: $2,000: Get Carbon Frame or Upgrade components? [skavoovie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Keep the frame. Do you have an aero helmet? A disc wheel? How many miles does your current drivetrain have on it? If less than 1500 I would look in other directions first, and deffo go with Ultegra SL or DA 7800. Forget about 7900, it's too expensive if you only have 2k. Maybe check the classifieds here and get an aero helmet, a disc and hire a coach if you don't have one.

-All You Haters Suck My Balls-
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would keep the P3 and use the money to upgrade the rear wheel, hire a coach, get a new bike fit and a VO2 test.
Quote Reply
Re: $2,000: Get Carbon Frame or Upgrade components? [tramirez] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is all very good information. I currently have a disc wheel with matching front 4-spoke (tubulars) that I didn't mention in the original post. Have an aero helmet. Powermeter might be a good idea - hadn't thought of that.
So, basically keep the P3 (unless I can find a newer P3C for very reasonable) and focus on the "engine" (my own power). If I have lots of miles on components, consider upgrading those, otherwise leave them as is.

From what I'm hearing, it's more about the aerodynamics than the weight, as a general rule. Am I correct?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yeah, it takes a rather large amount of weight to cost as much time as a slight amount of drag generally.

if you have money to burn, going lighter will save a wee bit of time, but not much.

In Reply To:

From what I'm hearing, it's more about the aerodynamics than the weight, as a general rule. Am I correct?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Like others said, the set-up you have now is great. Perhaps use the money to travel to a cool race destination? Fun experiences will always outweigh more gear.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I currently ride a 2005 P3 (aluminum) with Ultegra components, carbon hydrotail and Flashpointe 60 wheels. I'm trying to determine where money would be better spent to get lighter (and ultimately faster). Should I keep the frame and upgrade components to get the weight down? How much could I conceivably reduce in weight - I don't know. Alternatively I could change out the frame to a much newer carbon frame and keep my components. Will I recognize any change in weight from the 2 options?

What would you do? I understand the frame choice is extremely personal so I'm not necessarily searching for "what frame should I get", but looking for more guidance from those much more experienced than I.

Thanks for your input!

Powermeter and a good training plan.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Powermeter.

"Can’t I just start alone? I don’t need a team. All I need is a mechanic and a car!"-Jens Voight http://velonews.competitor.com/...lgem-and-more_108891 "
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Aerodynamics are the most important thing and remember, the least aerodynamic thing on a bike is the rider. If you were fitted to the bike a few years ago, it might be time for another fitting.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Now Ed, if you send me the $2000 you'll go faster because your wallet is so much lighter. :-)

But yes, Powermeter.
Quote Reply
Re: $2,000: Get Carbon Frame or Upgrade components? [tramirez] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Aerodynamics are the most important thing and remember, the least aerodynamic thing on a bike is the rider. If you were fitted to the bike a few years ago, it might be time for another fitting.
Exactly, which may lead to a different frame. Buying a frame only for the sake of buying a frame is a great way to waste money.

I talk a lot - Give it a listen: http://www.fasttalklabs.com/category/fast-talk
I also give Training Advice via http://www.ForeverEndurance.com

The above poster has eschewed traditional employment and is currently undertaking the ill-conceived task of launching his own hardgoods company. Statements are not made on behalf of nor reflective of anything in any manner... unless they're good, then they count.
http://www.AGNCYINNOVATION.com
Quote Reply
Re: $2,000: Get Carbon Frame or Upgrade components? [Herbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Now Ed, if you send me the $2000 you'll go faster because your wallet is so much lighter. :-)

But yes, Powermeter.

Nice one, Herbert! I can always rely on you...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One interesting point that was brought up, that I considered earlier today, is the last time I was fitted was over a year ago and I've lost even more weight, gained more flexability and gotten stronger since that time. I've got an updated fitting scheduled for Thursday. We'll go from there.

Herbert: keep standing by the post office box for the $2,000 - if it doesn't come soon, just keep waiting there. :-)
Last edited by: edrusk: Jun 29, 09 15:08
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Power Meter or Road Bike
Quote Reply
Re: $2,000: Get Carbon Frame or Upgrade components? [JollyRogers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Got my bike refit last night by a professional: Simril Multisport Coaching - and he made several changes.
Took my seat stub on my P3SL and reversed it, making my seat more forward. Inserted a wedge in my left cleat to make my left knee upright. Took my stem an dropped it all the way. The result of all this, after looking at the photos, this gives me a much more aero position without losing any power. A few slight more changes may happen, but after riding this morning, it felt more aero, felt like I had power when I needed it and I didn't have any back issues from the more aggressive position. The only thing I noticed was my neck and shoulders were getting sore from looking up more than I previously had to - due to the lower position.

Anyone else have this issue? How can I get my neck and shoulders used to this position? Keep riding? Are there stretches I can do or something else?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's pretty much all about adaptation to get your head/neck more used to the position. Just keep riding.

Weights, specifically one of those nautilus machines that works neck flexion, MAY help a bit, but really, it's all about riding and getting your body to adapt.

I had similar issues when I got my first tri bike after several years on a road bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
congrats!
you can get used to the neck issue
you can also get sunglasses that dont obstruct your vision, so you don't have to look up quite as much (if that is currently an issue)

In Reply To:
Got my bike refit last night by a professional: Simril Multisport Coaching - and he made several changes.
Took my seat stub on my P3SL and reversed it, making my seat more forward. Inserted a wedge in my left cleat to make my left knee upright. Took my stem an dropped it all the way. The result of all this, after looking at the photos, this gives me a much more aero position without losing any power. A few slight more changes may happen, but after riding this morning, it felt more aero, felt like I had power when I needed it and I didn't have any back issues from the more aggressive position. The only thing I noticed was my neck and shoulders were getting sore from looking up more than I previously had to - due to the lower position.

Anyone else have this issue? How can I get my neck and shoulders used to this position? Keep riding? Are there stretches I can do or something else?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What about buying higher quality food every day for the next year?

-

-Mark Rebuck, http://www.markrebuck.com/
Quote Reply
Re: $2,000: Get Carbon Frame or Upgrade components? [MarkRebuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
that might be good for health or enjoyment

but isn't likely to make ya faster

now..if it could afford you more vacation time to train...

In Reply To:
What about buying higher quality food every day for the next year?

-

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Put the money in a 90 day CD, see if you can ride 1 mile for every dollar you invest, and if you do, go spend all the money you want on whatever toys you want for your bike, or anything else for that matter, regardless of what anyone else says - you would have earned it. If you don't ride 2000 miles, re-invest the $$$ in another CD and try again.

2000 miles/13 weeks is a tad over 150/wk. I guarantee that will make you faster than anything else you can do, and you get to keep the 2k. It can be quantity miles even - it does not necessarily need to be quality miles. Just ride lots. And don't crash...

Coach TJ Tryon - Open Water Swim Clinics | Facebook | @tjtryon

Ask me about: T3 Multisport | Gu Energy | Torhans | Xterra Wetsuits (discount code) | Karbon Speed - discount code: COACHTJ | Uvex Helmets
Quote Reply
Re: $2,000: Get Carbon Frame or Upgrade components? [tjtryon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I like that idea! I've always been a goal-setter so you may be on to something here.

Thanks for everyone's input - all this really helps and my wife likes the idea that I'll keep the bike and not be chasing after another high dollar bike.

In Reply To:
Put the money in a 90 day CD, see if you can ride 1 mile for every dollar you invest, and if you do, go spend all the money you want on whatever toys you want for your bike, or anything else for that matter, regardless of what anyone else says - you would have earned it. If you don't ride 2000 miles, re-invest the $$$ in another CD and try again.

2000 miles/13 weeks is a tad over 150/wk. I guarantee that will make you faster than anything else you can do, and you get to keep the 2k. It can be quantity miles even - it does not necessarily need to be quality miles. Just ride lots. And don't crash...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good. You already have the bike I wish I had, aside from the fact I am spoiled with Dura Ace components and deeper rims. I'd love a well fitting P3, aluminum or carbon. Good luck with the milage. Use some of the money to get your wife some roses.

In Reply To:
I like that idea! I've always been a goal-setter so you may be on to something here.

Thanks for everyone's input - all this really helps and my wife likes the idea that I'll keep the bike and not be chasing after another high dollar bike.

In Reply To:

Coach TJ Tryon - Open Water Swim Clinics | Facebook | @tjtryon

Ask me about: T3 Multisport | Gu Energy | Torhans | Xterra Wetsuits (discount code) | Karbon Speed - discount code: COACHTJ | Uvex Helmets
Quote Reply
Re: $2,000: Get Carbon Frame or Upgrade components? [tjtryon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My wife gets roses from me all the time - what she doesn't get on a regular basis is a new bike: she's being measured for a custom built bike on Sunday - something I've been wanting to give her for a year and she finally caved in. YEA - she'll look hot on it - and we all know it's about the look, right?
Quote Reply

Prev Next