Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
$160 for bike on plane?
Quote | Reply
I've got a race this weekend in Seattle and I'll be flying from CA with my bike- thought it wouldn't cost anything to bring it along in my super durable bike case, but NWA states "$80 each way" to bring a bike (no matter how it is packaged) on the flight. Since when did they start charging for this? So much for the free flight that I used my frequent flyer miles for...any creative ideas on how to dodge this charge? Never flown with my bike before...
Quote Reply
Re: $160 for bike on plane? [PNWTSUT13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nothing new. I've been traveling to races for about 6 years and have had to pay almost every time. $160 round trip is pretty much the standard on the airlines I fly most (Delta and Northwest), but some are even higher. I've paid as high as $220 for domestic and $300 for FL-S America and back. For the times I got out of paying, here were the circumstances:

--Curbside check-in (when that was still applicable)

--Pick the least intelligent attendant or one that's in a really good mood. After claiming you'll be checking 2 bags at an electronic kiosk, hope they don't catch on that one of them is bigger and just saunter through their job like a bored zombie (Obviously, don't select 3 pieces of checked luggage at the kiosk or that will definitely set off flags for extra charges.)

--Once, the attendant didn't know it was a bike case and asked what was inside. I told her it was art. She tagged it and went on her way. That's not really a lie...I think it's art no matter what she thought.

One last piece of advice. At most airports now, they'll open the case and search the interior. Bike boxes are not always the easiest to close, so if that involves a 250 lb security guy sitting on it until something gives, then that's what might happen. I would stay with your bike till it gets through security if possible.

There's my .02.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Stay away from Northwest--I have had very bad luck with them, cancelling flights, not assigning seats, trying to overcharge......on and on...NEVER AGAIN!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i tnhink that's the norm -- try shipping it Fed Ex or Cargo.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, its better than paying $10 for Snakes on a Plane. I heard it really really sucked.

Next! Sharks on a Rollercoaster!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
$75 - $80 is pretty standard. When I fly I use my Akona travel case & don't pay a dime.

Paul "Speedy" Gonsalves
http://www.rollingthundercanada.com
RollingThunderCanada

Canadian distributor for HED Cycling, Blue Competition, Akona Biospeed & Aerus Composites

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, that is standard, I once paid 100$ each way....I would be cautious about misdeclaring the contents, however, as if anything happened to the bike you would not be able to claim the insurance ( or so I heard, I may be wrong but Id defintely look into it before you do so..)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've always flown NWA, never had a problem with anything..EVER...always got charged $80 each way..that's the way it is!!

-----------------
http://www.konashelley.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A few more to consider:

- Tell them you're going to a race

- Show up late or at the counter with LOTS of people

- Say it's a "tradeshow booth" and put your company logo on it (I'm 2 for 2 with this one)

- I've heard the line "golf clubs" has actually worked

- That $80 is only up to 50lbs!!!! So, if they REALLY want to screw you (and you lied above), they will weigh it. Considering most bike boxes are 25lbs and most bikes are around 20ish with all the crap, that doesn't give you a lot of room for error with pumps, shoes, tools, etc.

I'd say there's a BIG opportunity for the proper parcel carrier to step in and make some money from the cycling community.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Frontier Airlines was $50 each way for my bike, from Atlanta to San Francisco. This was in the huge Tri All 3 Sports bike case. They were also the most friendly group of airline employees I have ever flown with. I will fly them whenever I can now.

---------------

"Remember: a bicycle is an elegant and efficient tool designed for seeking out and defeating people who aren't as good as you."

--BikeSnobNYC
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Re: $160 for bike on plane? [PNWTSUT13] - NEW [In reply to] Quote
- Show up late or at the counter with LOTS of people | Reply

The only problem with this scenerio is that your bike may not get there. Be careful......maybe show up early, but when the counter is busy with another flight. That way you get the bike through, and don't get stalled at security and miss your plane.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There was a thread here a while ago about this with some really creative suggestions. Apparently they only charge for 'bikes' not skies or golf clubs so there is a double standard. One of my favorites is to pack the wheels seat and pedals in another (carry on) bag. Tell them that it is art, and if they tell you that it is a 'bike' ask them to ride it. If you can't ride it, it ain't a bike. BTW i don't think that they charge for bike parts either, so w/o wheels pedals and a seat, taken apart, the letter of the law is bike parts.

This is your life, and it's ending one minute at a time. - Fight Club
Industry Brat.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
any creative ideas on how to dodge this charge?

Fed Ex Ground - it cost me 35 bucks to send from Madison, WI to San Diego. Then you don't have to lug the thing around the airport with you either.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've flown to 5 Ironman races and never once had to pay for my bike. I always check my bike as 1 of my two bags. Never had any problem.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just a story from our last flight. (I am a wheelchair user, in case you don't know.) Joe uses two boxes, wheels in one, frame only (requires completely dissasmebly of the bike and a custom made box). The frame box actually a few inches oversize, but they are more concerned with the weight. We never lie when asked what's in the box. Only a few times have they measured and charged us.

When we check in they are so concerned with my electric wheelchair, they often don't even ask about the other boxes. Last flight the baggage handler asked our clerk, "what's in there?". Before we said anything, the clerk says "oh, that's a racing wheelchair". We smiled and laughed about it all the way to the gate. (I'm about as capable of racing in a wheelchair as an average 90 year old. :-)

Now, before you cheap guys get any ideas! Fraudulently claiming to be disabled to gain advantage of ADA regulations is a FEDERAL OFFENSE! Being injured does not count either! To be entitled to ADA protection you must be permanently unable to perform a major life function. Fine for this offense is $10,000.

Support Crew
This information contained herein has been assembled for your assistance and convenience. It is believed to be reliable, however, its accuracy cannot be guaranteed. All opinions shown are subject to change without notice.
Quote Reply
Re: $160 for bike on plane? [bigskyTi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This might be the thread you're talking about. It's a good read....

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/gforum.cgi?post=772156;search_string=airlines;#772156

I'll try my luck on Friday....with wheels and frameset ...uhh I mean artwork.... packed in separate boxes. Framset box will exceed the dimesions, so we'll see if they care about measuring.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Try $95 each way on Continental.

Behold the turtle! He makes progess only when he sticks his neck out. (James Bryant Conant)
GET OFF THE F*%KING WALL!!!!!!! (Doug Stern)
Brevity is the soul of wit. (William Shakespeare)
Quote Reply
Re: $160 for bike on plane? [AR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
This might be the thread you're talking about. It's a good read....

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ing=airlines;#772156

I'll try my luck on Friday....with wheels and frameset ...uhh I mean artwork.... packed in separate boxes. Framset box will exceed the dimesions, so we'll see if they care about measuring.

You are using the services (baggage transportation) of a company (the airline) for which you pay, and you (not just you, but everyone else who is thinking of doing this) think it's okay to lie to them about what you are transporting?

Not only is lying in these (any any) circumstances unethical, you can also get into a heap of trouble with both the airline and TSA.

Welcome to the free market. If you don't like their service and/or fees, go elsewhere.

I just don't understand this attitude.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Stay away from Continental. They've increased the fee to $95 each way.

I can't remember the last time I was on a flight that wasn't packed. Can the airlines REALLY need the bucks that badly? Oh, yeah, and most airlines are starting to charge for: aisle seats, pillows, other "preferred seating"!

Chuck Graziano

"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, who are we to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented and fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be..." Nelson Mandella, 1994
Quote Reply
Re: $160 for bike on plane? [Tri Fold] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LOL. It was a joke. Go read the thread I linked, you might see where I came up with that one.....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just did IMCA, and flew with Delta. Guess what? It's now $200 round trip. And to top it off they charged me $50 each way for my wheel bag. Luckily, I had a friend take the disc wheel back for me and saved $50. It's getting to be almost cost effective to have your bike shipped and built for you by the ECM shop at IM's...This soo bites. I thought IM North America was offering deals to fly/ship with a contract carrier. Does anyone know if IM 70.3 Worlds in Clearwater is doing something?
Quote Reply
Re: $160 for bike on plane? [mmamales] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've taken my bike with me on a number of cross country flights this year. As someone posted, it's entirely dependent on the individual checking you in. I've paid anywhere from $85 to nothing.

On my USAT survey I made certain to mention that they should be partnering with a few airlines to offer deals to members. I was on a train with a young guy on the USA cycling team and he said they fly strickly United and get a voucher to fly with their bike for free. Why can't USAt work out an arrangement like this? It would certainly tip the scales in United's direction.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I flew with Northwestern when I did Florida, was 80.00 round trip. But that was because on the way down they lost the bike box and didnt charge me on the way home
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm going to Austraila in March next year.. I wonder how much THAT is gonna cost me.
Quote Reply
Re: $160 for bike on plane? [support crew] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Post of the day!

;o)
Quote Reply

Prev Next