Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

$15K Super bike needs constant adjustment @ 175PSI !!
Quote | Reply
I just happen to be on a site and was reading customer reviews and saw this:

"Have had this for approx 3 months. Is a really good daily ride. I have had to keep returning to the shop for re-tightening different parts. Most on the front end area. I have been riding 175psi tires and recently dropped to 150psi. Better ride quality/enjoyment and less maintenance by doing this. I ride 1080 Zipp clinchers front and rear, SRAM Red throughout,and Fizik K1 saddle."

Downright dangerous. Old 1080's can be good for anything upwards of 140 or so. At least the LBS probably coaxed him into the 150's.

Training Tweets: https://twitter.com/Jagersport_com
FM Sports: http://fluidmotionsports.com
Quote Reply
Re: $15K Super bike needs constant adjustment @ 175PSI !! [SharkFM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe his "daily rides" are around a velodrome paved with glass?

Professional Athlete: http://jordancheyne.wordpress.com/ http://www.strava.com/athletes/145340

Coaching Services:http://www.peakformcoaching.com/

Quote Reply
Re: $15K Super bike needs constant adjustment @ 175PSI !! [SharkFM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SharkFM wrote:
I just happen to be on a site and was reading customer reviews and saw this:

"Have had this for approx 3 months. Is a really good daily ride. I have had to keep returning to the shop for re-tightening different parts. Most on the front end area. I have been riding 175psi tires and recently dropped to 150psi. Better ride quality/enjoyment and less maintenance by doing this. I ride 1080 Zipp clinchers front and rear, SRAM Red throughout,and Fizik K1 saddle."

Downright dangerous. Old 1080's can be good for anything upwards of 140 or so. At least the LBS probably coaxed him into the 150's.

I did not realize that clinchers could be pumped up that high without blowing off the bead.

I believe my local reality has been violated.
Quote | Reply
I call bullshit. Pumps, like power meters, can diverge wildly from reality.
Quote Reply
Re: $15K Super bike needs constant adjustment @ 175PSI !! [stephenj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The old max. pressure ratings for tires were the 50% of the pressure that blew the tire off the bead. Based on that it probably took 220-240PSI to blow one off a rim (though that was back in the days of 19mm heavy aluminum rims).

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
People that daft give me hope.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ha - a quick google brings up the poster. He classes himself as a casual recreational cyclist. That's probably why he's riding a superbike with concrete tyres. (although he's a pilot so you think he'd know what he's doing ?)
Quote Reply
Re: $15K Super bike needs constant adjustment @ 175PSI !! [cougie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cougie wrote:
Ha - a quick google brings up the poster. He classes himself as a casual recreational cyclist. That's probably why he's riding a superbike with concrete tyres. (although he's a pilot so you think he'd know what he's doing ?)
Pilots aren't necessarily very technically/practically competent. Commercial pilots in particular are pretty procedurally oriented as far as I'm aware.
Quote Reply
Re: $15K Super bike needs constant adjustment @ 175PSI !! [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
At IM70.3 UK, a couple of years ago, a guy blew his rim while pumping his tyre 30min before race start. He was livid. His race was over before it started.
Quote Reply
Re: $15K Super bike needs constant adjustment @ 175PSI !! [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Titanflexr wrote:
The old max. pressure ratings for tires were the 50% of the pressure that blew the tire off the bead. Based on that it probably took 220-240PSI to blow one off a rim (though that was back in the days of 19mm heavy aluminum rims).

Yes, but that is a static pressure...if you are riding and going over bumps, the dynamic pressure can change to be a little bit more, in addition to changing the geometry of the tire and thus the tendency to stay where it is supposed to be.

Stephen J

Quote | Reply
He must have an Iron-Crotch!

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: $15K Super bike needs constant adjustment @ 175PSI !! [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fleck wrote:
He must have an Iron-Crotch!

And a good dentist. That would be a tooth cracker of a ride. Not to mention buzzy hands and feet. The post was a review of the Trek Speed Concept 9.9, actually on a Trek website.

Training Tweets: https://twitter.com/Jagersport_com
FM Sports: http://fluidmotionsports.com
Quote Reply
Re: $15K Super bike needs constant adjustment @ 175PSI !! [stephenj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stephenj wrote:
Titanflexr wrote:

Yes, but that is a static pressure...if you are riding and going over bumps, the dynamic pressure can change to be a little bit more, in addition to changing the geometry of the tire and thus the tendency to stay where it is supposed to be.

Stephen J

Agreed.

That being said, back in the day many of us TT'd with tires pumped to 160psi (we were told it was faster) and there weren't problems with tires blowing off the rims.

I also don't remember it being terribly uncomfortable, just the discomfort of sitting on the hard nose of a saddle designed for road riding.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Titanflexr wrote:
stephenj wrote:
Titanflexr wrote:

Stephen J

Agreed.

That being said, back in the day many of us TT'd with tires pumped to 160psi (we were told it was faster) and there weren't problems with tires blowing off the rims.

I also don't remember it being terribly uncomfortable, just the discomfort of sitting on the hard nose of a saddle designed for road riding.

I hear ya. I rode the TUFO tubies at 150psi...but had a softride; so it was no that bad.