Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: $150 - What are you buying? [knighty76] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A work stand is great to have and can be built with some basic hand tools and parts from a local hardware store on a budget. No need for a college student to spend $200 on a park tools stand.
Last edited by: d_rex: Jul 28, 15 11:15
Quote Reply
Re: $150 - What are you buying? [cshowe80] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i'll second the r550 pedals, as i recently bought a pair for my fixed-gear conversion.
notes:
1 - i have Ultegra 6610 and D/A 7810 pedals, and the r550 are very light and easy to click into(i have not bothered to set the retension level any higher than stock)
as the bodies are resin/composite they may not be as durable as the alloy ones, i just have to remember not to dump the bike or get hit ;-)
2 - they can be found for very little money, i got them for $45 on ebay new-in-the-box.
3 - use the same cleats as ultegra and D/A; bonus for me, three bikes, one pair of shoes(Pearl Izumi Try Fly IV)
4 - the cleats are easier to walk in than most(you can still fall and hurt yourself, don't ask me how i know this)
5 - even though they don't have as good bearings as the D/A pedals, they still feel really smooth
6 - no creaking or squeaking

cshowe80 wrote:
Shimano pedals and cleats have been widey considered to be the most durable and reliable with the lowest amount of maintenance. The new 550's are a good starting point and come in at around the same price as those Keo ones.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ca/en/shimano-r550-spd-sl-clipless-road-pedals/rp-prod106714

I'd use the money to get a disc cover and latex tubes myself. Pedals won't make as much of a time difference for the $150

"...I try not to ever ride as slow as 20mph. ;) ... And even more than that, I don't race with a speedometer. My computer is set up to show Power // Cadence // Time. I don't actually ever know how fast I'm going. I only know that if I'm in 53/11, and it takes more than 100rpm to hit my target watts, it's time to coast." - Jordan Rapp on '09 IMC
Quote Reply

Prev Next