Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: $150 - What are you buying? [C_Hassard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I need to new bearings for my pedals. I may just buy new pedals.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
C_Hassard wrote:
What do you think of new pedals/cleats? I've been unknowingly using MTB pedals and cleats for three years now of triathlon racing. Apparently I've missed out on a ton of control, so looking into either Shimano SPD-SL or Look Keo and I'm not sure which ones to go with.

I started out with Speedplays and now use Looks on my road/tri bikes - most of the guys I train with (I think you know at least a couple of them, BTW) use Speedplay and swear by them. I think I have an extra set of Keos (I'd need to check for cleats) laying around that you're welcome to borrow to see if you like them - PM me if you want.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Apparently I've missed out on a ton of control"

I think you are going to be disappointed at the amount of extra "control" you get by switching to road pedals. It's going to be about none.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
C_Hassard wrote:
By that point, all the monthly service fees if I don't actually use the gift cards will take away all the money.

What do you think of new pedals/cleats? I've been unknowingly using MTB pedals and cleats for three years now of triathlon racing. Apparently I've missed out on a ton of control, so looking into either Shimano SPD-SL or Look Keo and I'm not sure which ones to go with.

If you need to spend the money now to avoid fees I would recommend spending it on something you typically budget for like food or gas. Then you can save the cash you would have normally spent on those items and you still have $150 and no timeframe to spend it in.

Pedals and cleats are a solid option and I would take the guy up on the offer to borrow his before buying. But if you can't decide what to do with it don't forget about something we older guys call "saving". I wasn't particularly good at it when I was 18 but if I could go back I'd be a millionaire right now. But that's a story for a different thread. Seriously though, 6-12 months down the road you may have a real need/repair or find a race you want to enter and having the money set aside would be nice. And of course you could always add to it over time and sooner or later that $150 will be $300 and then $500 and so on. Then you would have even more choices.

The best pace is a suicide pace, and today is a good day to die. -Steve Prefontaine
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
C_Hassard wrote:
Looking at shoes like the Trivent Expert and PI Tri Fly series, a lot of them look like the holes on the bottom are only set-up for Look cleats or SPD-SL cleats.

Nah, all 'good' shoes will use a 3-bolt pattern which will allow you to use pretty much any road style pedal you want. The problem is you aren't using road pedals right now, you're using cheap 2-bolt mountain cleats. Nothing terribly wrong with that for a beginner, but I agree that getting yourself a set of proper cleats and pedals is probably a smart move.

As for which ones you get, it's a matter of personal preference. The Look and SPD-SL style have nice wide pedaling platforms and the cleats are pretty cheap to replace. I use Speedplay pretty much because that's all I've ever used, they have very easy dual sided entry and I'm very used to the float so riding without it feels strange to me. There could be other advantages to speedplay such as aerodynamics, which is probably minimal, and cornering ability but that's likely not all of a concern for tri. On the downside, the cleats are a little more expensive to replace (I recommend walkable cleat covers) and the pedals need occasional maintenance to pump some new grease in.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Whenever I find myself trying to think of ways to spend money, I stop.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am really close to buying a Mio Fuse heart rate monitor. I have a Mio Link but the battery doesn't last long enough for weekend training. I do love it however. I am a firm believer in monitoring heart rate. I feel like it keeps me honest.
Quote Reply
Re: $150 - What are you buying? [WelshinPhilly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WelshinPhilly wrote:
C_Hassard wrote:

I started out with Speedplays and now use Looks on my road/tri bikes - most of the guys I train with (I think you know at least a couple of them, BTW) use Speedplay and swear by them. I think I have an extra set of Keos (I'd need to check for cleats) laying around that you're welcome to borrow to see if you like them - PM me if you want.

Which Look style do you use? Not that I'm necessarily trying to go really cheap, but right now on eBay there's KEO 2 Max with all the cleats/hardware for $88 and also Keo Classic 2 with the cleats/hardware for $60. Both products are new. I definitely want a solid product but if I could save a bit of money while doing it, that'd be great as well. The KEO 2 Max pedals for $88 seem like a damn good deal.

They have a full refund upon returning as well if I don't like them. If they didn't have the returns, I'd definitely take you up on that offer and I appreciate you letting me try them for a ride.

What do you think about that deal?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Shimano pedals and cleats have been widey considered to be the most durable and reliable with the lowest amount of maintenance. The new 550's are a good starting point and come in at around the same price as those Keo ones.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ca/en/shimano-r550-spd-sl-clipless-road-pedals/rp-prod106714

I'd use the money to get a disc cover and latex tubes myself. Pedals won't make as much of a time difference for the $150

------
"Train so you have no regrets @ the finish line"
Last edited by: cshowe80: Jul 23, 15 12:46
Quote Reply
Re: $150 - What are you buying? [Beachboy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Beachboy wrote:
Gram of Coke and a bag of Weed.....

You can get a gram and a bag for 150 bucks?

Sharon

Festina Lente
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
C_Hassard wrote:
WelshinPhilly wrote:
C_Hassard wrote:

Which Look style do you use? Not that I'm necessarily trying to go really cheap, but right now on eBay there's KEO 2 Max with all the cleats/hardware for $88 and also Keo Classic 2 with the cleats/hardware for $60. Both products are new. I definitely want a solid product but if I could save a bit of money while doing it, that'd be great as well. The KEO 2 Max pedals for $88 seem like a damn good deal.

They have a full refund upon returning as well if I don't like them. If they didn't have the returns, I'd definitely take you up on that offer and I appreciate you letting me try them for a ride.

What do you think about that deal?

I'd have to check on the exact models but I think I have Keo Classics and Sprints.

That Ebay deal for $88 seems like a good one.
Quote Reply
Re: $150 - What are you buying? [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Titanflexr wrote:
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
C_Hassard wrote:
Good on tires. About the saddle, I have the stock Oval saddle that came on my 2011 Fuji D6 4.0. I haven't had any comfort problems or pain of any sort using that saddle. Would an upgrade to a tri-specific saddle such as a Cobb one (referencing that because it's in your sig) really make that much of a difference in terms of comfort if I'm not having any problems right now? I'm pretty clueless when it comes to saddles.

Also, another question, which is just for everyone...

Shoes like Pearl Izumi's Tri Fly Carbon/Octane shoes. What are your thoughts on Tri-specific shoes? I have really old Shimano road cycling shoes and they've done me well but aren't exactly the most comfortable anymore. Would an upgrade to semi-expensive triathlon shoes be worth it?

If you aren't having any problems then I wouldn't bother switching. With that being said, if the saddle doesn't have some cut-out then it is possible you don't know what you are missing. My first saddle was an Fizik Arione Tri way back in the day, I cringe how I made it work back in the day. Shoes sounds like another good upgrade, but I am a fan of specialized high-end shoes for training but they can be pricey - well out of the $150 range.

Consider the Specialized Trivent Expert shoes ($175 IIRC). Really well designed shoes, and not too pricey.

For split nose saddles, the Adamo PN 1.1 is a great option at $149.

The most speed for your $$$$ would be the aforementioned tires & latex tubes.

I just bought the Adamo PN 1.1 on Amazon for $99 (5 days ago). I was about to pull the trigger a couple days earlier for $125 on Amazon, but a phone call came in that I had to take. When I went to buy it, $99. Price seems to move every couple days.

Quote | Reply
150 gels?

Pete Githens
Reading, PA
Quote Reply
Re: $150 - What are you buying? [Economist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Economist wrote:
Titanflexr wrote:
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
C_Hassard wrote:
Good on tires. About the saddle, I have the stock Oval saddle that came on my 2011 Fuji D6 4.0. I haven't had any comfort problems or pain of any sort using that saddle. Would an upgrade to a tri-specific saddle such as a Cobb one (referencing that because it's in your sig) really make that much of a difference in terms of comfort if I'm not having any problems right now? I'm pretty clueless when it comes to saddles.

Shoes like Pearl Izumi's Tri Fly Carbon/Octane shoes. What are your thoughts on Tri-specific shoes? I have really old Shimano road cycling shoes and they've done me well but aren't exactly the most comfortable anymore. Would an upgrade to semi-expensive triathlon shoes be worth it?

If you aren't having any problems then I wouldn't bother switching. With that being said, if the saddle doesn't have some cut-out then it is possible you don't know what you are missing. My first saddle was an Fizik Arione Tri way back in the day, I cringe how I made it work back in the day. Shoes sounds like another good upgrade, but I am a fan of specialized high-end shoes for training but they can be pricey - well out of the $150 range.

Consider the Specialized Trivent Expert shoes ($175 IIRC). Really well designed shoes, and not too pricey.

I just bought the Adamo PN 1.1 on Amazon for $99 (5 days ago). I was about to pull the trigger a couple days earlier for $125 on Amazon, but a phone call came in that I had to take. When I went to buy it, $99. Price seems to move every couple days.

Just ordered a PN 1.1 last night, coincidentally ($104 on Amazon when I did it). Reasonably low cost way to try split nose saddles, and can probably recoup most of that if it doesn't work for me.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

I use Look Keo Carbon on all my road bikes, been very happy with them.

I'd definitely make the switch to real road shoes and pedals if the money is really burning a hole in your pocket. Wider pedals transfer power a bit better, road shoes are usually stiffer and the bigger pedal can help with hot spots on your feet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is a no-brainer. Something for the wife--maybe even kick in a little extra to get something totally awesome...being in good graces with them is PRICELESS!
Quote Reply
Re: $150 - What are you buying? [GAUG3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pn 1.1 i really like, disc cover, running shoes i like altra, and supersonic/turbo cottons tires
Last edited by: eggplantOG: Jul 25, 15 17:24
Quote Reply
Re: $150 - What are you buying? [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Titanflexr wrote:
Economist wrote:
Titanflexr wrote:
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
C_Hassard wrote:

Just ordered a PN 1.1 last night, coincidentally ($104 on Amazon when I did it). Reasonably low cost way to try split nose saddles, and can probably recoup most of that if it doesn't work for me.

You can send it back to Amazon. I did that with another saddle. I contacted them prior and told them I used it for two weeks. It had contact marks from my seat post, otherwise looked new. They just told me to send it back. I'm also a Prime member.

I'm on my third ISM saddle, fifth split nose. The Sietro is awesome, but hard as a rock. Ass is so painful. The other ISM ones my ass can't get use too. I'm hoping the padding with the PN will be the one.

Quote | Reply
A copy of Zinn and the Art of Road Bike Maintenance and some decent tools.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Power Cal Heart Rate strap that also approximates power on your bike. $88 at Clever Training website when you link from DC Rainmaker's review. It's made by Power Tap folks.

Sharon McN
@IronCharo
#TeamZoot
Clif Bar Pace Team 2003-2018
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Some suggestions:

- more running shoes. Mine usually last about 6-9 months, depends on your mileage. You will always need more running shoes!!
- wet weather gear, trail shoes, whatever helps keep you training through the crap weather months (signature suggests Philly?)
- decent lights for the bike or a head torch, keep you training when it gets dark?
- like the tools suggestion, I find that a bike stand is a very useful thing to have. You can save your money back many times over if you learn how to work on your bike yourself.
- Amazon Prime membership for a year, plus the Firestick HD. For those indoor zone 2 sessions when the weather is just too crap and you don't need the intensity. I prefer Prime to Netflix now, and in the UK we get free next day delivery for any purchases which I guess is probably 2-day in the States?

Have fun whatever you buy, nice to get a bit of bling once in a while.
Quote Reply
Re: $150 - What are you buying? [docpeachey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
docpeachey wrote:
Beachboy wrote:
Gram of Coke and a bag of Weed.....

You can get a gram and a bag for 150 bucks?

Sharon

Normally the standard answer for these sorts of questions would be "hookers and blow", but -
with only $150 to spend, the quality of both would be cut-rate, to say the least.

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Re: $150 - What are you buying? [Murphy'sLaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd get a mechanics home kit and a really nice cleaning kit, something like this:

http://www.excelsports.com/main.asp?page=8&description=Port-A-Shop+Tool+Kit&vendorCode=LEZYNE&major=6&minor=9

and this:

http://www.excelsports.com/main.asp?page=8&description=Drivetrain+Service+Kit&vendorCode=MORGAN&major=6&minor=21

Unlike most of the crap sold to the tri market, those things will make you faster and enjoy your machine more!
Quote Reply
Re: $150 - What are you buying? [GAUG3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Shimano for sure.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I heard m-2 course jersey can save you 10w at $149.
Assuming you can find your size.
Quote Reply

Prev Next