Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: $120 in swimming lessons bought me ~3 minutes of time in an oly [JChapATX] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
of course! it is the internet after all.

without obnoxious comments, where would I get the drive to keep getting in a damned piss filled pool?

In Reply To:
you should expect some of these responses from the ST community. Congrats on a good race.

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Re: $120 in swimming lessons bought me ~3 minutes of time in an oly [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
swim in Barton - the dilution rate is better

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Hilly Flats Racing

Quote Reply
Re: $120 in swimming lessons bought me ~3 minutes of time in an oly [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good on ya Jack!! Here's the best part - you're fitness might come and go but once you can touch that kind of time you won't backslide much if you take some time out of the water. It's great news!!!

Ian

Ian Murray
http://www.TriathlonTrainingSeries.com
I like the pursuit of mastery
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
With bike aero parts that would take a pair of sweet heds or zipps, a sweet helmet, and a sweet frame.

something to consider =)

Well, that really depends on bad a swimmer you were before the lessons. Right? ;-)

The average human uses 10% of his brain power.

Find nine other people
Quote Reply
Re: $120 in swimming lessons bought me ~3 minutes of time in an oly [greijuz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thats true
it also depends how horrific your current bike gear is I suppose =)

In Reply To:
In Reply To:
With bike aero parts that would take a pair of sweet heds or zipps, a sweet helmet, and a sweet frame.

something to consider =)

Well, that really depends on bad a swimmer you were before the lessons. Right? ;-)

Quote Reply
Re: $120 in swimming lessons bought me ~3 minutes of time in an oly [Tri_yoda] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That brings up an interesting question and may be worthy of its own thread. I think I am good for an all out 1:10 100 SCY (I'll check today to make sure) and did a 62:00 IM swim and a 29:4X HIM. Does that imply my OW/distance skills are crap or that your pool/sprint speed is crap?
Quote Reply
Re: $120 in swimming lessons bought me ~3 minutes of time in an oly [torrey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I dunno if I did flip turns I'd probably hit that 1:10 =)

In Reply To:
That brings up an interesting question and may be worthy of its own thread. I think I am good for an all out 1:10 100 SCY (I'll check today to make sure) and did a 62:00 IM swim and a 29:4X HIM. Does that imply my OW/distance skills are crap or that your pool/sprint speed is crap?

Quote Reply
Re: $120 in swimming lessons bought me ~3 minutes of time in an oly [kus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
$120 for 1 lesson in NYC? I should be charging more.

But yeah, I've seen drastic improvement in my clients. 5 second drop per 50 yards, and counting:
Check him out HERE.

Technique over mileage for the average triathlete. No use in wasted yards.

triswimguru@gmail.com with questions.

I use swimsmooth.com in addition to in-water lessons.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
New Sig:

Always get a swim lesson. Unless it kills you, it makes you faster.

- Mott 2:1
Quote Reply
Re: $120 in swimming lessons bought me ~3 minutes of time in an oly [Devlin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

That's a great improvement, Jack! (And yes, I realize the 1:12 is an all out time, I learned to read a long time ago. ;) ) 18 seconds improvement per 100 is in the neighborhood of a 20% improvement for a one off 100, and looks like about a 10% improvement in the OWS. (I'm allowing another minute or so for a wetsuit aided swim).

And yes, going up to around 5-10k a week, a lot of it threshold and intervals, and you will see your times drop even more. Welcome to the wet side. ;)

John

I concur, that is a great improvement, and kudos for actually becoming a fish (and not a wetsuit junkie).

and seriously...put in some more yardage! I'm coming off a 50k scy week and I'm "finally" at where you just started.

sometimes you just have to eat the cake
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had somewhat similar of results. Some coaching sessions with him completely reworked my form, was soon swimming way faster with way less weekly yardage. Took several strokes/length off my swimming.

My best comparison for times would be that I did CapTexTri (2008) and swam 27:06. That's coming off of a winter of swimming a TON for me. Took my swimming VERY easily over the summer (with like three weeks off when I went to Europe) and then came back and did Austin Tri (with new swim form) and swam 23:51.

Of course who knows how long the courses were, etc, but that's what I got. Form is important.

---
justin

It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends upon his not understanding it. -Upton Sinclair
Quote Reply
Re: $120 in swimming lessons bought me ~3 minutes of time in an oly [torrey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

I think neither, as 100 free doesn't measure endurance, only strength/technique - so you have extra factors to account for... in addition to saving energy for biking and running.
Quote Reply
Re: $120 in swimming lessons bought me ~3 minutes of time in an oly [AndrewT461] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
...an add in the fact that many OW courses are poorly measured. Apples & oranges...

blood, sweat...and big gears

I hated every minute of training, but I said, ''Don't quit. Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a champion.''
- Muhammad Ali
Quote Reply

Prev Next