Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: $120 in swimming lessons bought me ~3 minutes of time in an oly [xcsnail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
xcsnail, you haven't even been paying attention.

i wasn't holding 1:12 in the pool, it was just a single 100m lap, all out. i said that above

i apologize for my lack of fish talk, I'm just trying to communicate to people who are poor swimmers like me, that theres more speed per dollar/efort to be had from some 1 on 1 lessons than from bike gadgets.

but, if you communicating to the world that I am a poser is more important to you then feel free.

tell the world you think I am a poser because I haven't done an ironman, go ahead!

In Reply To:
If you were holding 1:12/100's in the pool then you would be elite/Pro level for tri

I call bullshit on you!!

Are you sure you wern't in the kiddy pool?

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Re: $120 in swimming lessons bought me ~3 minutes of time in an oly [xcsnail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
If you were holding 1:12/100's in the pool then you would be elite/Pro level for tri

I call bullshit on you!!

Are you sure you wern't in the kiddy pool?

Did you even bother to read the thread? Jack admitted that the 1:12 was an all-out time, not reps.

I call reading-comprehension fail on you!!
Quote Reply
Re: $120 in swimming lessons bought me ~3 minutes of time in an oly [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Your OW speeds still seem off even if that is 1 time 100

You were most likely in a yard not a Meter pool correct? It was also most likely SC correct?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Re: $120 in swimming lessons bought me ~3 minutes of time in an oly [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So...what technique changes do you feel helped you the most?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jack, Jack, tsss.....

Last edited by: de-tri-mental: Sep 7, 09 20:26
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My second places in the last few years have all been by less than 3 minutes, even for a half. And, that 3 min translates to ~ 4 min for HIM. It takes a lot of $$$$$in bike parts to make that up and a good fit on the bike might save you that amount of time, but for even more $$$$$. I think I'm agreeing with what you're saying when I say 'you got a bargain.' Sign me up.

Take everything I say with a grain of salt. I know nothing.
Last edited by: docfuel: Sep 7, 09 21:13
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jack, allow me to be the first non-asshole and say congratulations...job well done. I'm proud of you and expect great things in the future.

There!

"you know, aero trumps training ;-) "
R10C 10/09
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm sure it is, I think with better pacing I could have gone quicker OW, but then I came out of the water nice and fresh, thats good too.

The pool is a meter pool, I've confirmed that a couple times.

SC?
What is SC?

In Reply To:

You were most likely in a yard not a Meter pool correct? It was also most likely SC correct?

Quote Reply
Re: $120 in swimming lessons bought me ~3 minutes of time in an oly [Boudreaux] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
x2, great job improving the swim. I hope someday I can author a post like this. I just don't understand why swimming is so hard for us non-fish but there it is--it's hard.

Phil
Quote Reply
Re: $120 in swimming lessons bought me ~3 minutes of time in an oly [pcombs22] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stick with it, its harder for some people to know what their body is doing. try different one on one instruction and experiment until it clicks!

In Reply To:
x2, great job improving the swim. I hope someday I can author a post like this. I just don't understand why swimming is so hard for us non-fish but there it is--it's hard.

Phil

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
To be honest since the lessons work has been rough and I haven't spent much time in the pool. Thats why I am so encouraged. I've been at like 1k to 3k per week since the lessons. Much of it just 25m at a time working on stroke.
I look forward to getting in a solid 5k per week (still weak sauce I know fish, shut up) and see what happens

Congratulations, thats a solid swim for triathlon standards. I just perused the Longhorn results, looks like swim times were a bit high overall, even for pro's, perhaps the course was long, or was there a current in town lake this WE?

If you are swimming 24 min on 1-3k/wk you will see some dramatic improvements with even 9-10k/wk, which is probably on the low side of what most triathletes SHOULD be doing to see improvements - for me, as an ex-fish, 9-10k/wk is barely enough to stop the inevitable decline due to age.

------------------------------------------------------------
some days you're the windshield some days the bug
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree. Sounds fishy to me. No pun intended.. :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Learn the flip turn. Then you could add to your tag line:
Always flip turn. Unless it kills you, it will make you faster.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

jack's times seem about right to me. I can swim 100 SCY in about 1:08 flat out, 23m Oly with wetsuit, 25 without.
So from a 1:12 100 SCM plus decent endurance, to a 24:30 non-wetsuit, isn't unreasonable.

"being 6'3", skinny, and fit I ought to be allright at swimming if I can swim partly non retarded right? "
Tall helps in swimming, skinny, not so much.. as a younger man, 6'2", 160lb, I could swim a 20:30 1500 LCM. So yes you ought to be allright..
But I had good coaches as a child, swam competitively age 8-12.
On the down side, this means I have to buy speed with bike parts, have nowhere else to get it..
Quote Reply
Re: $120 in swimming lessons bought me ~3 minutes of time in an oly [doug in co] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jack, Congrats... I too had a huge benefit from lessons, I was offered to join the high school winter conditioning class for $100 (3 months of swimming plus a coach) and it paid dividends. I was swimming 4 times a week and the coach corrected stroke and roll, times came down but the biggest benefit was feeling strong when I came out of the water. Knocked 64 minutes (overall) off my half IM time and contribute alot of that to a faster swim (by 5 minutes) and a faster bike and run due to feeling fresher after each leg.

Grandpa Dave
Sponsors/ Main Sponsor WIFE!!!
RUDY PROJECT
http://www.e-rudy.com
Quote Reply
Re: $120 in swimming lessons bought me ~3 minutes of time in an oly [ITRI2008] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I bought the Total Immersion book, and read the recent thread on here by Gary Hall Sr. Lots to work on for me, but I really feel I am swimming a lot easier now.
I get the impression on here that TI is considered complete snake oil, but it has honestly helped me loads.
My pre-TI time was 15.09 minutes for 950 meters (pool, no wettie), and I have the impression now that I am swimming at a similar speed but with much less effort.

-------------------------------
´Get the most aero and light bike you can get. With the aero advantage you can be saving minutes and with the weight advantage you can be saving seconds. In a race against the clock both matter.´

BMANX
Quote Reply
Re: $120 in swimming lessons bought me ~3 minutes of time in an oly [Barchettaman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I bought the Total Immersion book, and read the recent thread on here by Gary Hall Sr. Lots to work on for me, but I really feel I am swimming a lot easier now.
I get the impression on here that TI is considered complete snake oil, but it has honestly helped me loads.
My pre-TI time was 15.09 minutes for 950 meters (pool, no wettie), and I have the impression now that I am swimming at a similar speed but with much less effort.
TI is not really snake oil. It teaches a basic stroke to people that don't have one. It enables people to at least swim as opposed to survive. What it doesn't really do is teach you how to be fast, and the stroke that it teaches isn't really conducive to being fast, although it will work for a lot of people.

My biggest peeve with Terry is the pseudosciencebabble that he uses on his site.

John

Top notch coaching: Francois and Accelerate3 | Follow on Twitter: LifetimeAthlete |
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
24:30, no wetsuit

not a fish yet

but a lot better than 25:30 with a wetsuit =)

In Reply To:
So what was your swim time?
SC = Short course, LC = Long course. SCY is a 25 yard pool, LCM is a 25 meter pool. It's important to know since the times will differ between the two.

That's a great improvement, Jack! (And yes, I realize the 1:12 is an all out time, I learned to read a long time ago. ;) ) 18 seconds improvement per 100 is in the neighborhood of a 20% improvement for a one off 100, and looks like about a 10% improvement in the OWS. (I'm allowing another minute or so for a wetsuit aided swim).

Excellently done! How much would people pay for a 10% improvement in the bike or run? :D :D :D $120 is a bargain!

And yes, going up to around 5-10k a week, a lot of it threshold and intervals, and you will see your times drop even more. Welcome to the wet side. ;)

John

Top notch coaching: Francois and Accelerate3 | Follow on Twitter: LifetimeAthlete |
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well all I did was switch from Gu to Hammer Gel and I took nearly 3 hours off of my Ironman time. (of course this is facetious, there were other factors involved), but still..

--------------
Elivis needs boats.
Quote Reply
Re: $120 in swimming lessons bought me ~3 minutes of time in an oly [Schwingding] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Well all I did was switch from Gu to Hammer Gel and I took nearly 3 hours off of my Ironman time. (of course this is facetious, there were other factors involved), but still..

nice
;)

Quote Reply
Re: $120 in swimming lessons bought me ~3 minutes of time in an oly [Devlin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
LCM is a 25 meter pool
LCM is a 50m pool, SCM is a 25m pool

------------------------------------------------------------
some days you're the windshield some days the bug
Quote Reply
Re: $120 in swimming lessons bought me ~3 minutes of time in an oly [unclerock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Quote:
LCM is a 25 meter pool
LCM is a 50m pool, SCM is a 25m pool
Yeah, that. Oops. :-/

John

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
24:30, no wetsuit

not a fish yet

but a lot better than 25:30 with a wetsuit =)

In Reply To:
So what was your swim time?

You can do 100m in 1:12 and you are only swimming 25:00?

I have never swam a 1:12 for 100 yrds even once, my best ever for 100 yrds all out was about 1:18 (I wouls guess that is around 1:23 for 100m) and I have done an IM swim in 63:00, usually do an olympic around 24:00, HIM about 32:00 - 33:00.

I think you just need to learn some open water technique as 100m in 1:12 is pretty fast for most triathletes, I am thinking top 10%.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
you should expect some of these responses from the ST community. Congrats on a good race.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Hilly Flats Racing

Quote Reply

Prev Next