Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: $1200 Is Just TOO MUCH for a race. Can we finally admit this? [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
I enjoy passing people who overspend on triathlon gear.

Ironman is not about going fast but proving you got an entire day to waste, since you are paid well to take so much time off.

And you like to eat during the entire day with free supplied food.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: $1200 Is Just TOO MUCH for a race. Can we finally admit this? [taciturned] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
taciturned wrote:
For $1200 I could spend a couple months as a hobo cycling from Vancouver to Mexico.

But why would you WANT to??????

There are a lot of things we can do for under $1200 - but how many of them would we want to do.
Quote Reply
Re: $1200 Is Just TOO MUCH for a race. Can we finally admit this? [jinci] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jinci wrote:
I think it is too much for this particular race given the product you get and the alternatives available in the market.

That's the crux of it right there - the price point they are probing for is simply the premium on the M-dot brand name, not the price for the underlying commodity. Clearly an event with an outstanding, safe, scenic and exciting course, lots of amenities and unreal schwag can be put on for far less than $1200 a person. A reputation for excellent event execution also has value, and they've banked some of that, but that value component is at least in theory attainable by all, it's not explicitly protected.

I don't begrudge WTC their tenacious exploitation of the value of the trademark for as long as they can, but I think jinci is right, the trend toward wider acceptance of generics is inevitable, hopefully at a level that will allow other race organizers to reach the critical mass necessary to pull off such high quality events. For a savings of $600 or more, more people are surely going to be willing to take the risk of having to explain to an interrogator that their triumph was indeed in a legitimate "Iron Distance" event even though the ubiquitous logo is missing from the tshirt.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Generic_trademark
Quote Reply
Re: $1200 Is Just TOO MUCH for a race. Can we finally admit this? [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
japarker24 wrote:
razorbacksteve wrote:
BLACKSHEEP wrote:
$7000 is just TOO MUCH for a bike. Can we finally admit this?

..................... but if people buy them, it's a fair price

$7k...how bout $10K! The P5 loaded w/ Di2 and race wheels is hitting that and they can't get them delivered fast enough!

Does anyone besides a pro even have a P5 yet?

Saw one in my local bike shop (getting a tune up) that has been well used.
Quote Reply
Re: $1200 Is Just TOO MUCH for a race. Can we finally admit this? [matto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Supply and demand don't matter when I'm the one being "exploited"
Quote Reply
Re: $1200 Is Just TOO MUCH for a race. Can we finally admit this? [Cervelo Apple] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The market will determine what is too high.......sadly enough.
Quote Reply
Re: $1200 Is Just TOO MUCH for a race. Can we finally admit this? [npage148] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
npage148 wrote:

You can't rape the willing.

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Re: $1200 Is Just TOO MUCH for a race. Can we finally admit this? [Murphy'sLaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If I could I would
Quote Reply
Re: $1200 Is Just TOO MUCH for a race. Can we finally admit this? [Cervelo Apple] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think WTC is being irresponsible to its investors. To properly price their product they should set an expected sell out time. Then measure how quickly a race sells out and price accordingly. Continue raising or lowering pricing until expected sell out is achieved.

For everyone that doesn't like it, they can find other products.

"your horse is too high" - tigerchik
Quote Reply
Re: $1200 Is Just TOO MUCH for a race. Can we finally admit this? [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Does anyone besides a pro even have a P5 yet?

Saw a guy riding a P5 in a local sprint race. Maybe because he saved a few $1200 entry fees by entering shorter races?

. . . . . . . . .
-julie
Quote Reply
Re: $1200 Is Just TOO MUCH for a race. Can we finally admit this? [npage148] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
npage148 wrote:

How are you being exploited?

I'd really like to buy a Porsche; is it exploitation that the price is so high?

-Andrew
Quote Reply
Re: $1200 Is Just TOO MUCH for a race. Can we finally admit this? [Livetotri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Livetotri wrote:
I'm racing Thursday night.

It costs $20.

This.

I started racing mtn bikes tuesday nights. It's hella fun and $25 per week. Generally place high enough to take home a pint glass too. Sometimes even a $20 or $30 gift card. Way more fun, way less stress.

--
MyGearGarage - Track all your gear!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
japarker24 wrote:
travelmama wrote:
Not only is it too much but absurd. With money to spend on whatever I want, I try to put things into perspective. Less than $1200 will take me back to Cozumel with air and local transportation. $1200 is what I pay for property taxes and insurance on one of my properties. $1200 is what I pay to fully insure three vehicles. $1200 is what I spend in groceries for 4 months and the list goes on. No way I would spend $1200 on ONE RACE in New York or anywhere. Heck, in spite of the hit and run incident in Abu Dhabi a few months, I am definitely considering that race because it is only $200 and the home of Ferrari World.

I call BS on the Cozumel part. I see that you are from California. Entry alone is $600US. So that leaves $600US for air (including bike), hotel, food, local travel, etc. I say no way you could do IMCoz for $1200US.

Race entry fee is only one piece of the entire cost.

ETA: Unless you have friends/family in Cozumel, which makes this an apples/oranges comparison.

(S)he said go to Cozumel. He didn't say anything about racing in Cozumel.

--
MyGearGarage - Track all your gear!
Last edited by: mrtrik: Aug 14, 12 13:06
Quote Reply
Re: $1200 Is Just TOO MUCH for a race. Can we finally admit this? [mrtrik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Other than assuming "travelmama" is a she, you are absolutely correct. I read the post incorrectly. Sorry, Travelmama!!!!!!!!!!

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Re: $1200 Is Just TOO MUCH for a race. Can we finally admit this? [AMT04] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"exploited" is this faux outrage that is generally thrown around when someone is at the sore end of an economics lesson. Same thing can be said for people getting butt hurt about the 5 day min stay at IMLP yet continuing to go year after year.
Quote Reply
Re: $1200 Is Just TOO MUCH for a race. Can we finally admit this? [travelmama] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
travelmama wrote:
$1200 is what I pay for property taxes and insurance on one of my properties. $1200 is what I pay to fully insure three vehicles. $1200 is what I spend in groceries for 4 months and the list goes on.

For someone who has "money to spend on whatever I want", you must weigh 60 pounds, live in a shoebox, and drive three Yugo's......
Quote Reply
Re: $1200 Is Just TOO MUCH for a race. Can we finally admit this? [AMT04] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AMT04 wrote:
npage148 wrote:

How are you being exploited?

I'd really like to buy a Porsche; is it exploitation that the price is so high?

Exactly. But don't let logic get in the way of people's misguided anger.
Quote Reply
Re: $1200 Is Just TOO MUCH for a race. Can we finally admit this? [matto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Somebody mentioned that an economist could argue that the price is not high enough if events sold out. As an economist, I'd disagree with this a little bit. Standard supply/demand suggest increasing the price, but that's assuming a standardized product. Also, the standard rule of Supply/Demand is economics 101, which isn't really practical in the real world given the required assumptions. Not all IM events are the same. Very close, but venue being the main variable. Somebody else mentioned that they wouldn't pay that money to swim in the Hudson or deal with the logistics.

WTC has capacity to increase prices, but to put the prices at equilibrium would be a mistake and they know it. All businesses know it. First, there is no fixed equilibrium like there is in the classroom, it's a moving target. Second, WTC needs to maintain this high demand, thus sell out their events. This generates the capacity to expand into new markets as well as discretionary sales in merchandise, etc. It also gives them negotiation power when dealing with cities, granted NY had no flexibility. However, during an interview with the RD of IMNY, he mentioned one city repaved it's roads for in time for IM. Finally, selling out adds to the 'mystic' of participating in an IM event. (mystic may not be the right word).

I don't mean to criticize the person who posted that statement, I just wanted to clarify. When I teach into Micro/Macro, it's easier when discussing supply/demand. When I teach advance micro/macro, it can get messy really really quick.

Quote | Reply
japarker24 wrote:
travelmama wrote:
Not only is it too much but absurd. With money to spend on whatever I want, I try to put things into perspective. Less than $1200 will take me back to Cozumel with air and local transportation. $1200 is what I pay for property taxes and insurance on one of my properties. $1200 is what I pay to fully insure three vehicles. $1200 is what I spend in groceries for 4 months and the list goes on. No way I would spend $1200 on ONE RACE in New York or anywhere. Heck, in spite of the hit and run incident in Abu Dhabi a few months, I am definitely considering that race because it is only $200 and the home of Ferrari World.

I call BS on the Cozumel part. I see that you are from California. Entry alone is $600US. So that leaves $600US for air (including bike), hotel, food, local travel, etc. I say no way you could do IMCoz for $1200US.

Race entry fee is only one piece of the entire cost.

ETA: Unless you have friends/family in Cozumel, which makes this an apples/oranges comparison.
Call BS all you want but first read my post then show where I made mention of accommodations. I know what I have paid and will pay and it is still less than $1200.

Quote | Reply
6 String wrote:
travelmama wrote:
$1200 is what I pay for property taxes and insurance on one of my properties. $1200 is what I pay to fully insure three vehicles. $1200 is what I spend in groceries for 4 months and the list goes on.

For someone who has "money to spend on whatever I want", you must weigh 60 pounds, live in a shoebox, and drive three Yugo's......
Oh damn, you have got me on the floor laughing. I am much heavier with a house a bit larger than a shoebox. To own three Yugos is wishful thinking.

Quote | Reply
Ultra-tri-guy wrote:
Man some of the responses surprise me because people are equating the place that the race is being held to the value for money of the race itself..I'll happily spend $600 to go to a race that costs me $2000 to get to if the race itself is value for money.Where the race is being held should not affect the price of the actual race and if it does and the RD's are passing on the cost of that venue to me then I won't go.

First of all, I really don't understand why so many of you care so much about this. Neither you nor Cerveloapple are planning to race WTC or Iron-distance so cost is irrelevant to both of you. Just another thread for the two of you to bitch.

And did you not read the title of this thread? The OP is bitching that $1200 is too much for a race, which you agreed to because you hate WTC and IMNY, but then contradicted yourself in the part I just quoted. You don't value the race, others do. I don't value Apple products, other people happily overpay for the same crap.

All you are really saying is that YOU don't think NY is enough of a destination, which is fine, don't go race in NY, with WTC, for an Iron-distance.

There is a new Irondistance in my home down that costs like $100, but I have no desire to spend $1200 to fly out there and race a place I already know with about 24 other participants. I plan to do Ironman Lanzarote next which is *only* 400 euros. Except that the flight will cost me $1200. Oddly enough, the fight to NYC is less than $400 so total race cost is LESS. You mentioned Brazil which is also on my list, costs less than IMNY but will cost a fortune to get to.

Let people decide for themselves what they think a race is worth. Obviously $1200 is NOT too much since lots of people spend way more than that already.

Someone mentioned the NY marathon that now costs over $200, but they forgot to include the three times you have to pay to enter the lottery.

And let's not forget that nearly all Ironman events have charity slots that cost twice the ticket price, and plenty of people pay. $1200 is obviously not too much for a race. Some people will pay, others won't, who the fuck cares?
Last edited by: Aqua Man: Aug 14, 12 14:57
Quote Reply
Re: $1200 Is Just TOO MUCH for a race. Can we finally admit this? [Aqua Man] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Aqua Man wrote:
Ultra-tri-guy wrote:
$1200 is obviously not too much for a race. Some people will pay, others won't, who the fuck cares?

x2, I'm not interested in the race, but I'm sure they will sell the slots just fine
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
To all those bitching about the $1200 price tag, can you please explain what part of the following you are not understanding?

1) It costs a ton to put on the race in NYC
2) If they don't jack up the registration, there will be no race
3) No one is forcing you to enter. If you think it's too expensive, there are plenty of other races for you to do.

What exactly is the problem again?
Last edited by: matto: Aug 14, 12 15:10
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
are you aware of the psychological/marketing term called "anchoring"?

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: $1200 Is Just TOO MUCH for a race. Can we finally admit this? [guppie58] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
guppie58 wrote:
Finally, selling out adds to the 'mystic' of participating in an IM event. (mystic may not be the right word).
The word is "Mystique".
:-)

http://www.bobswims.com/

"If you didn't swallow water in your last open water race, you weren't racing"
Quote Reply

Prev Next