Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

$100 Gift Card for local 10K win?
Quote | Reply
I don't know if I am getting really lucky but the last 2 races I have done since being back in the states have caught me by quite surprise. With the economy being so shitty they sure are giving out great stuff at these local races. Here is what I wrote on my blog about the Tri last weekend:

Also this race was one of the best races I have participated in. They had some great SCHWAG for the overall winners and they even had prizes for the premium winners of Swim,T1,Bike,T2,Run. Swim fast times got Xterra wetsuits, truly amazing for a $100 entry fee. Not to mention top 3 in each Age Group got a bottle of wine. And the best part that is really hard to believe FREE BEER post race, as well as the usual carb/protein food! AMAZING RACE put on by great people for there first annual race. THANKS http://www.thresholdracinginc.com/

I don't think you could beat that at most local races where there are only 240 competitors...........

Then I signed up for a local 10K earlier this week and showed up today looking to have a good race in prep for WF. Wasn't trying to go out and crush the run but figured if no one took off I would see what I could do. I didn't even know if there were going to be medals or awards but figured it was a hometown race and since I am not home that often I would see what I could do. Showed up and the Garmin was dead, I feel so lost running without that thing, so I ran completely off feel. Had no watch with me so it was really weird not knowing splits. There was a lead biker but he didn't start his watch so I had no clue where I was time wise until mile 5 when we passed the finish line. Anyways back to the fact that for a local 10K with only 93 participants they gave out $100 for overall win and age group winners got bottles of wine as well. Since I was in the 20-29 AG they gave out $15 gift certificate to a local Italian restaurant. They also raffled off a bunch of great items as well. Pretty happy with a $115 in Gift Cards for a IMO not so fast 10K, 37:41.

Is this becoming the norm or have I just got really luck lately? Seems like a lot of great stuff for a $28 entry fee, and not to mention it was a race with all proceeds going to Cancer Research.............
http://www.climb14ers.org/

-Brad Williams
Website | Twitter: @BW_Tri |Instagram: @BW_Tri | Strava | Co-Founder & Coach at: KIS Coaching
Partnered with: Zoot Sports | Precision Fuel &Hydration | ISM
Last edited by: afbadbrad: Apr 24, 10 11:42
Quote Reply
Re: $100 Gift Card for local 10K win? [afbadbrad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That seems comparable to what we have around us. My wife and I each got a certificate for a free fitting and pair of shoes at fleet feet at a small 5k last year, for local pool sprint last year the prize was a rudy helmet, a bunch of chocolates and a set of mugs. At my clubs olympic we raffle off a set of 404's, several wertsuits etc every year. Pretty much everything is donated, its not like the entry fees are going toward the "purse"
Quote Reply
Re: $100 Gift Card for local 10K win? [afbadbrad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It seems that you are picking the right races to be in. Hopefully faster guys will not find out about this and you will be able to defend your title next year as well.
There is a local trail race that I have won 5 of the last 7 years, and at first the award was a free pair of Mizuno running shoes of my choice but then changed to an champion embroidered high end wind breaker or vest.

and SCHWAG is the wrong word to use for the Awards the winners received...SCHWAG is generally "stuff we ALL get" (swag) or low grade weed...
Last edited by: SucabStunna: Apr 24, 10 11:59
Quote Reply