Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
$1000 to spend on triathlon hobby...help me.
Quote | Reply
If you had a grand to spend, and already had a bike, race wheels, race helmet, race entries...what would you buy?
Quote Reply
Re: $1000 to spend on triathlon hobby...help me. [dprocket] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hire a coach.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1 week stay in Penticton during the spring (late April/May). I have rented a condo in Okanagan Falls, great place to stay.

And ride my ass off.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Updated pro fitting

Swim Lessons (That's me...)

Di2

Carbon bits

Stages Power

-Alex

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Power Meter
Quote Reply
Re: $1000 to spend on triathlon hobby...help me. [bostonalex] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bostonalex wrote:
Updated pro fitting

Di2

Carbon bits

Stages Power

Hit the nail right on the head. Get a real fit and a power meter. Maybe a new pair of running shoes and some good socks for run training.

Twitter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
M-dot tattoo.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
good winter cycling clothes and a bike w/ fenders
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hookers
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Save another $500 and get a Quarq...then get a coach who can help you make good use of it.
Quote Reply
Re: $1000 to spend on triathlon hobby...help me. [tucktri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
a hooker with an m-dot tattoo
Quote Reply
Re: $1000 to spend on triathlon hobby...help me. [tucktri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tucktri wrote:
Hookers

and blow.

2 great tastes that taste great together!

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Power meter, numerous choices out there, I would suggest either Quarq or PT and get a disc cover for it. You could then sell your rear race wheel as well, unless for some reason you use that set for road racing as well. Coach would be another great suggestion, but I don't think it is reasonable to get a PM and Coach as you will only end up getting 2-3 months of coaching. I don't know of too many coaches out there that will charge less than $200 and really dive into your power files and train you on power.

-Brad Williams
Website | Twitter: @BW_Tri |Instagram: @BW_Tri | Strava | Co-Founder & Coach at: KIS Coaching
Partnered with: Zoot Sports | Precision Fuel &Hydration | ISM
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Power Meter because all the guys that have them are riding faster than the ironman winers of the 80's and 90's that didn't have them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Power meter and a wetsuit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dprocket wrote:
If you had a grand to spend, and already had a bike, race wheels, race helmet, race entries...what would you buy?

POWER METER!

/end

------
"Train so you have no regrets @ the finish line"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Indoor bike trainer

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
New set of golf clubs!
Quote Reply
Re: $1000 to spend on triathlon hobby...help me. [Power] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote:

Hire a coach.

Option....I think it'd only get me a few months though. I'm not sure I'm real coachable.

Quote:

1 week stay in Penticton during the spring (late April/May). I have rented a condo in Okanagan Falls, great place to stay.

This would be awesome. Unfortunately, I have 4 kids so it's tough to get away on a focused trip like this for training.

Quote:

Some swim specific coaching is something I'm looking into right now.

Quote:

Di2

This seems like a drug I should not take part in.

Quote:

Stages Power Power Meter

Also on the list....

Quote:

Hit the nail right on the head. Get a real fit and a power meter. Maybe a new pair of running shoes and some good socks for run training.

I had a Retul about 6 months ago, so I think I'm fitted pretty well....

Quote:

Hookers

I'm too cheap.

Quote:

Save another $500 and get a Quarq...then get a coach who can help you make good use of it.

Is a Quarq worth that much more than a Stages or Power2Max? I'm considering those and they seem to be in budget.

Quote:

and blow.

Now we're talking.

Quote:

Power meter, numerous choices out there, I would suggest either Quarq or PT and get a disc cover for it. You could then sell your rear race wheel as well, unless for some reason you use that set for road racing as well. Coach would be another great suggestion, but I don't think it is reasonable to get a PM and Coach as you will only end up getting 2-3 months of coaching. I don't know of too many coaches out there that will charge less than $200 and really dive into your power files and train you on power.
-Brad Williams

That's what I'm thinking...not sure how far I would get with a coach for a grand, plus I'm slow and sort of a DIY kind of guy. Not sure a coach is best for me.

Quote:

Power Meter because all the guys that have them are riding faster than the ironman winers of the 80's and 90's that didn't have them.

So true. Too bad all those old guys weren't fast.

Quote:

I'm not sure what kind of PM AND wetsuit I could get for a grand....

Quote:

Indoor bike trainer

I've got a KK and Fluid 2, but if not....a trainer would be at the top of my list!

Quote:
New set of golf clubs!

Sorry, only one expensive hobby for me. I don't golf. Seems like it may be fun, but not for me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A grand is not a lot of money for a triathlete. Seems like you have everything except for a power meter.
I already have a power meter and thus I would invest this money into racing (IM plus 70.3 or a bunch of sprints).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dprocket wrote:

Quote:

Hire a coach.

Option....I think it'd only get me a few months though. I'm not sure I'm real coachable.

Quote:

This would be awesome. Unfortunately, I have 4 kids so it's tough to get away on a focused trip like this for training.

Quote:

Some swim specific coaching is something I'm looking into right now.

Quote:

Di2

This seems like a drug I should not take part in.

Quote:

Stages Power Power Meter

Also on the list....

Quote:

I had a Retul about 6 months ago, so I think I'm fitted pretty well....

Quote:

Hookers

I'm too cheap.

Quote:

Is a Quarq worth that much more than a Stages or Power2Max? I'm considering those and they seem to be in budget.

Quote:

and blow.

Now we're talking.

Quote:

-Brad Williams

That's what I'm thinking...not sure how far I would get with a coach for a grand, plus I'm slow and sort of a DIY kind of guy. Not sure a coach is best for me.

Quote:

So true. Too bad all those old guys weren't fast.

Quote:

I'm not sure what kind of PM AND wetsuit I could get for a grand....

Quote:

Indoor bike trainer

I've got a KK and Fluid 2, but if not....a trainer would be at the top of my list!

Quote:
New set of golf clubs!

Sorry, only one expensive hobby for me. I don't golf. Seems like it may be fun, but not for me.

How about you enter an ironman and with the change buy some gels or something.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tunnel Time or PM.

My YouTubes

Quote Reply
Re: $1000 to spend on triathlon hobby...help me. [kblahetka] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kblahetka wrote:

Hookers, blow and some good brown liquor are certainly at the top of the list. Might want to send TRS $500 for Pro's prize money since this sport is doomed if they don't start getting more.

But, if you want to become a better athlete, then a PM for sure.

--------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by: bhc: Jul 31, 14 16:12
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kickr or powertap. I'd go Kickr first but I train inside a lot. (I have both.)

Of course, race fees are still a major consideration, esp if you're doing IM next year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you're sorted enough goodies wise, as suggested, just use that money for babysitter time and local race entries. And/or gas money to drive nearby places to ride/run/swim.

The question of who is right and who is wrong has seemed to me always too small to be worth a moment's thought, while the question of what is right and what is wrong has seemed all-important.

-Albert J. Nock
Quote Reply

Prev Next