Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

$100+ Neverreach vs. $20 SipAway
Quote | Reply
I saw a new product at a tradeshow that is tryng to challenge Neverreach. It's call SipAway and it is 1/5th the cost of a Neverreach system. Neverreach (60oz.) has SipAway (28oz.) beat if you are a long distance competitor but if you are doing olympic or sprint distant races, it looks damn good. Anyone have either of these? I thinking I'm going to go ahead and order one of them for this years races. www.neverreach.com & www.sipaway.com I thought I would check with the experts first. The demo at the trade show looked great. You didn't have to draw very hard at all on the SipAway to get the fluid moving. Then is just hung at the end of the straw as you stopped drink. Does Neverreach do that? For $20 I'll probably end up going the SipAway route. Any feedback would be great, Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: $100+ Neverreach vs. $20 SipAway [dodgell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
never seen the sip a way before now..I'd say it looks very much like the straw from a Camelback type system extended to reach your water bottle. Once the water gets to your mouth the back check valve in the mouth of the straw keeps it from flowing back down to the bottle. Creative to be sure. I fondly recall the days of the Bikestream. Where or where have they gone....sigh.
Quote Reply
Re: $100+ Neverreach vs. $20 SipAway [Kentiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Although I don't know anyone who's used this before, it's definately pretty sweet. It might be worth looking into....

http://www.quickquench.com/

It might be a little on the heavy side though.

Jonathan Blyer,
ACME Bicycle Co., Brooklyn, NY
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The thing that I never liked about the neverreach was that if you use it, there is no place on the bike to put tools/tubes/co2/etc. Looks like the sipaway has solved that problem.

-C

------------------------------------------------------------
Any run that doesn't include pooping in someone's front yard is a win.
Quote Reply
Re: $100+ Neverreach vs. $20 SipAway [CCF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hmmm Good point about spare/air/extras behind the seat. I think I'll get the SipAway. We'll see if it as good in action as the demo was... THANKS!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not sure about he advantage/disadvantage of a pressurized system. Seems to me it would be subject to leakage.

Be that as it may, I use NeverReach® and I think it's great. As you mention, the capacity of the NeverReach is extremely valuable in longer races. Also, according to the testing by PK Racing, the NeverReach also helps smooth airflow off the back of the bike, reducing drag. Don't know how much that's worth, but until I start winning races, I'll go for any gimmick that promises to make me faster.

Cousin Elwood - Team Over-the-hill Racing
Brought to you by the good folks at Metamucil and Geritol...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I remember seeing homemade versions of the Sipaway 10 years ago. The valve part of a water bottle would be removed from the lid and the tube inseted through the aperture the bottle typically would be mounted behind the rider in a seat mounted cage and the tube routed along the top tube by velro straps and come up into front of the rider at the stem. Looks like someone desided to market that.

"How bad can it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Re: $100+ Neverreach vs. $20 SipAway [jk_allen13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Whats wrong with those profile bottles that fit between your tri bars ? You can easily refill those on the move, and you don't need to suck quite as much ?

I was planning on buying one - seemed the easiest option.
Quote Reply
Re: $100+ Neverreach vs. $20 SipAway [cougie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No idea. That is my plan for IMC, will have to check how it mounts on my HED aerobar though.

"How bad can it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't see the downside in long course racing using a 20oz bottle over a 60oz container? A typical Ironman has aid stations every 10 miles, 20oz is more than enough. Besides, fluid is heavy, why lug it all over creation?

I wanna go fast!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I made my own rear mount system a couple of years ago. It worked quite well but looked clunky so I've gone back to the front mounted aero bottle.
Quote Reply
Re: $100+ Neverreach vs. $20 SipAway [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How do you refill this thing?? One main advantage of these drink systems is to be able to dump fluid through a large opening on the fly to refill.....this looks like a water bottle w/ a tube??

---------------------------------------------------
Holden Cain, ObGyn..."People pulling people out of people"
Quote Reply
Re: $100+ Neverreach vs. $20 SipAway [holdencain] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"How do you refill this thing?? "

That's another reason I got rid of it. Mine was two regular rear mounted bottles with a Y connector connecting them to one hose. It worked fine , but would be impossible to fill on the fly.

It was one of those failed winter month basement tinker projects.
Quote Reply
Re: $100+ Neverreach vs. $20 SipAway [holdencain] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's a $3 waterbottle with a $17 tube!!

Not sure if I would have the energy or the concentration to suck the liquid up that distance when really tired.

Just a thought.

Fleck

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: $100+ Neverreach vs. $20 SipAway [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Now you got me wondering if I got the right one. I didn't think about refilling it. For a sprint I should be fine. You didn't have to suck hard at all to get the fluid up. However I tried the tube and valve at the show. Once the tube is full you just suck one it once and the fluid is right there at the end of the tube. The dude at the booth said you would just draw the fluild to the top of the tube while setting up in T1. Then when your on the bike you just take one sip. I guess I'll know when I get it and the rubber hits the road. .... I feel dirty after typing this message.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Of course for a sprint, you could leave the bottle in your transition bag and be fine. On a health note, make sure you keep that tube clean. You don't want to start a science experiment in there and be sucking up pond scum.
Quote Reply
Re: $100+ Neverreach vs. $20 SipAway [nickc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think the SipAway is a SipA-no-way!! One water bottle of liquid??? Nope. Not worth it from Oly distance on up...and anything less why bother?
HC

---------------------------------------------------
Holden Cain, ObGyn..."People pulling people out of people"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Son of a buck!!! I've been thinking every time I go to take a drink that it would be nice to just have a hose run from my big honkin' gatorade bottle...well...just like that one shows!!!! I'll be dipped in it! I'm still gonna do it anyway.

----------

Since life ultimately ends in death, life itself is life-threatening.

SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES... NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY STILL BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN YOU PUSH THEM DOWN A FLIGHT OF STAIRS
Quote Reply