Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Post deleted by variousty [ In reply to ]
Re: $1,200 for IMNYC 2013 [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No, but we'll piss in your beer if you prefer.

2015 American Zofingen Du is May 17.
R.I.P. Chris Gleason
Quote Reply
Re: $1,200 for IMNYC 2013 [tetsuoni] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tetsuoni wrote:
No, but we'll piss in your beer if you prefer.

Unless it was Ironman New Paltz 70.3...
Quote Reply
Re: $1,200 for IMNYC 2013 [IVcoops] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Anyone guess the state with the most participants in yesterdays IM?

California!

Figures.

I used to work for a company that was trying to relocate a group from Madison, WI and a group from California to CT (fairly close to New York so that area was very pricey). All of us from Wisconsin thought the cost of living was outrageous and couldn't justify the move. The people from California were blown away by the "cheap" homes they looked at. I guess it's all perspective.

I could see this race doing well with athletes from other countries because then New York becomes more of a destination race.
Quote Reply
Re: $1,200 for IMNYC 2013 [Supersquid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Supersquid wrote:
Quote:

California!

Figures.

I used to work for a company that was trying to relocate a group from Madison, WI and a group from California to CT (fairly close to New York so that area was very pricey). All of us from Wisconsin thought the cost of living was outrageous and couldn't justify the move. The people from California were blown away by the "cheap" homes they looked at. I guess it's all perspective.

I could see this race doing well with athletes from other countries because then New York becomes more of a destination race.

New York, destination race? No thanks. If I want city life I can just drive to SF. Too many people.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: $1,200 for IMNYC 2013 [trackie clm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yup! I think I paid about $195 to do IMNZ the first time. No way no way never would I pay $1200 for an IM. I think Andrew Messek might have gone overboard this time....
Quote Reply
Re: $1,200 for IMNYC 2013 [cidewar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cidewar wrote:
Yup! I think I paid about $195 to do IMNZ the first time. No way no way never would I pay $1200 for an IM. I think Andrew Messek might have gone overboard this time....

I said I would never pay $675 for an IM. Boy am I a lemming.

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Quote Reply
Re: $1,200 for IMNYC 2013 [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
we were told this while waiting on line by a rep from kroff entrp.
Quote Reply
Re: $1,200 for IMNYC 2013 [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was curious about this as well - found this announcement from when the race was introduced:

http://ironman.com/...-today#axzz23LawBXwF

Looks like it was $895 this year. Price increase of $355 or 40%. Quite the increase.....
Quote Reply
Re: $1,200 for IMNYC 2013 [IVcoops] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
California!

Anyone guess the state with the most people?

Anyone guess the state with the most triathletes?

Anyone guess the state with the most money?

Duh.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: $1,200 for IMNYC 2013 [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Perhaps with the registration fee increase they can actually spring for chicken broth. I volunteered at the mile ~21 aid station and there was no broth, with exception of the 5 cans that one of the volunteers at the aid station bought from fairway market. I love that they were so proud that they had bought "real coke, not just cola" but hadn't flatted it at all. I also found it rather ironic that aquadraat was the title sponsor, but the aid stations had some other brand of water.
Quote Reply
Re: $1,200 for IMNYC 2013 [gleeclub] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gleeclub wrote:
we were told this while waiting on line by a rep from kroff entrp.

Wow, talk about real time race directing. Profit, profit. Amazing business model.

Quote Reply
Re: $1,200 for IMNYC 2013 [Cavemann] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cavemann wrote:
Perhaps with the registration fee increase they can actually spring for chicken broth. I volunteered at the mile ~21 aid station and there was no broth, with exception of the 5 cans that one of the volunteers at the aid station bought from fairway market. I love that they were so proud that they had bought "real coke, not just cola" but hadn't flatted it at all. I also found it rather ironic that aquadraat was the title sponsor, but the aid stations had some other brand of water.

How does that happen?? Seems to me like somebody is gonna be rather pissed off........

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There was broth. Just not at every aid station. More like every second aid station on the manhattan side which was disappointing.
Quote Reply
Re: $1,200 for IMNYC 2013 [variousty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just don't understand this line of thinking. A few hours of your time is so invaluable that you can't give it without getting something in return, even if that "something" then costs you $1200 in cold hard cash? Think of all those fools that volunteer at soup kitchens etc for free. Idiots!
Quote Reply
Re: $1,200 for IMNYC 2013 [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

[quoteWhat's a premium entry get you? ][/quote] A happy end? ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
we had broth in the med tent - not sure how you would choke down broth while running in 86 degree heat???
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
wait...so you made a deposit of a day of your time and then paid the $1200 on top of it? fool...
Quote Reply
Re: $1,200 for IMNYC 2013 [tetsuoni] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tetsuoni wrote:
American Zofingen 2013 is currently $135.

Best deal going...
Go test your fitness on a tough course w/ great atmosphere and not re-mortgage your house.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
variousty wrote:
because essentially i had already made a "deposit" for my 2013 registration fee with my time. when i decided to spend my time volunteering so i could get the guaranteed entry, i expected the price to be around 1000. didn't expect them to raise the price so dramatically. once you put a deposit on something, it's tough to just eat it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunk_costs#Loss_aversion_and_the_sunk_cost_fallacy

You'd already spent the 'deposit' when you found out about the price. You don't get that back regardless of whether you race or not, point so it's not relevant to the decision anymore. The only rational consideration remaining 'do I want to pay $1,200 for IMNYC 2013?'

Sounds like you want to do the race anyway and consider it 'worth it' but are peeved about the shadiness of the tactics on WTC's part. I don't fault you there, but the time spent to that point is non-recoverable either way.
Quote Reply
Re: $1,200 for IMNYC 2013 [meuf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Broth at the aid stations was not hot and was very salty. Was all good as far as I was concerned.
In Reply To:
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
variousty wrote:
because essentially i had already made a "deposit" for my 2013 registration fee with my time. when i decided to spend my time volunteering so i could get the guaranteed entry, i expected the price to be around 1000. didn't expect them to raise the price so dramatically. once you put a deposit on something, it's tough to just eat it.

And I thought "volunteering" was to help others...

I suppose you are not the guy who volunteers at the local soup kitchen?

So, because you gave some of your time, you simply needed to spend the $1200. That's awesome thinking. It's no wonder this race will sell out.
A small group of us volunteered yesterday. Actually, I volunteered at the swim and at the water aid station at mile 16 before the GWB, but some how my credit card isn't coming out of my pocket.

Best of luck... I suppose you'll hire a coach because you gave 4 hours of your life to volunteering yesterday.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No arguments from me on that point. It was just the comment that since a "deposit" had been made you felt compelled to follow through. If I am hearing you correctly now, the issue isn't the sunk cost of your volunteer time, it is the last minute fee hike that has your panties in a bunch (and understandably so). Good luck next year! No doubt I'll be out there somewhere cheering and volunteering.
Last edited by: Kiwifly: Aug 12, 12 9:50
Quote Reply

Prev Next