Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

"spin bike' vs. fluid trainer
Quote | Reply
Need some advice here... Think I've got CinCHouse sold on a second IM if I will do more of my road miles indoors. Right now, I've got my tri-bike hooked up on a fluid trainer but its not very comfortable and just doesn't 'feel right.' My bike is great on the road, but something about the feel of the fluid trainer just makes me want to call it a day after an hour or so.

On the other hand, I finally got around to taking a spinning class at the local Y and felt great on their bike. Maybe is the fixed gear, heavy wheel, and better resistance control, but I could very much see spending hours on it as an alternative to the road (nights and poor wx primarily). I set up the spin bike much like my tri-bike (forward, and ride in the 'aero position' most of the time in class) so I don't think its positioning.

So... is this common? Would a gym-style spin bike be a decent purchase? If so, recommendations?

--------------------------------------------
"The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle." - Army General John J. "Black Jack" Pershing
Quote Reply
Re: "spin bike' vs. fluid trainer [IP Freely] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
First, I can't believe your handle was available when you signed up 2 weeks ago. Damn!

Second, no question, a spin bike is comfy. Usually it's the wider cushy saddle that would feel like a load on a bike on the roads. Spin bikes also have a hefffffffffty flywheel, so you can ease up and momentum will keep things turning. Even if for just very brief moments, that can add up over the couse of a longer workout. A fluid trainer on the other hand has no momentum to speak of, so the moment you let up, you slow down. I'm talking fractions on seconds here. But it matters.

Fluid -- materially better workout. Spin -- more comfort.

Too f@ckin depressed from various injuries to care about having a signature line.

Sponsored by Blue Shield PPO.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My wife and I decided on the commercial Johnny G "spinner" for indoor training for a couple of basic reasons...

1. less noise/lass danger with my kids running around (no spokes outside my field of vision)

2. quick and easy to switch between riders so both my wife and I can hop on and off in seconds

3. no extra set up and break down when transitioning between in and outdoor riding... this may seem silly, but I can talk myself out of riding indoors quickly and not having the bike set up ahead of time is just the lame excuse I might use.

3. saves money/fatigue from excess tire wear, chain, cassette, etc...

I do find that I have a slight adjustment period between the spinner and the road bike (I ride a road bike @ ~74 degrees) 10 - 15 minutes of strangeness is all and likely due to the fact that I cannot precisely match my road bike set up on the pre-set spinner positions. As far as what brand is better, I have no specific reason to choose what I use over another... I would however suggest you purchase a commercial version as a moderately dedicated athlete will destroy a "home unit" in one off season.

BTW, it's my personal experience that wanting to get off the bike after 60-90 minutes indoors will not change by switching to a "spinner" type of machine... Hope it works out for you!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ooops, Lemond Spinmaster is excellent. Wish I hadn't sold mine because you can put powercranks on them!!!

Too f@ckin depressed from various injuries to care about having a signature line.

Sponsored by Blue Shield PPO.
Quote Reply
Re: "spin bike' vs. fluid trainer [OBLA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks to you and Aztec for the thoughts. (BTW, had a few other - but rarely used - callsigns before I discovered this one was still available. So fitting, no?)

Actually like the 'theory' of being inside - maybe watching TV or playing PS2 with the kids (after they get one for Christmas!) - while logging base miles. And, I too like the idea of a dedicated spinner - I make all kinds of rationalizations with which bike is on the trainer and why I can't ride either one. Plus, while I can stay tucked all day on the road, my a$$ hates sitting on the bike indoors. Not sure why - likely that I move around on the seat a bit more outside.

Hmmm... safer and more economical? Man, can't believe I didn't think of those arguements before... I might just slide this by SWMBO (she who must be obeyed).

I saw one today at CosCo; but it was magnetic resistance. Think - but might be wrong - that the 'gym style' ones have a mechanical brake on them. Other than not buying one off QVC, are there any other lessons learned? Is the "Johnny G" pretty good? How many nights on the couch will this cost me?

"The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle." - Army General John J. "Black Jack" Pershing
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My personal favorite for indoors is my fixed gear on a Computrainer. Gives you a high end spinbike feel and is a blast outdoors in summer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nothing beats training in the position you will be racing in, but I know what you mean about being comfortable on your bike on the road, but not on the trainer. It will take me about 30 minutes to find the sweet spot, but then its all good.
As another option, maybe you can piece a bike together that will be your trainer bike. It doesn't have to be even road worthy, but as long as you can get your saddle height, your bars, drop, and top tube length correct, it will work...and you can put on a comfy seat too(though I would get used to whatever seat you will be racing on).
Good luck

56-11...the only way to fly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a Schwinn Spin bike I do most of my indoor training on...if you have one great, if not, get a fluid - if given the option I would take the "spin" bike any day.

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you have a dedicated workout room where you can leave it set up all the time, I think an indoor bike is great for all the reasons mentioned above...although having it always "ready to go" is the best one by far.

My choices would be 1. Cycle Ops, esp. the 300PT which has the power tap hub....having something to "gauge" your effort level by is critical, and nothing beats a power tap. 2. Kettler Ergo Racer. 3. Lemond. Note these are all probably the most expensive as well - the Schwinn/johnny G are okay but not "The Best".
Quote Reply
Re: "spin bike' vs. fluid trainer [Aztec] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]Ooops, Lemond Spinmaster is excellent. Wish I hadn't sold mine because you can put powercranks on them!!![/reply]

Actually, you can put PC's on most of these high end bikes, although it is easiest on the LeMond because we make a specific adapter for that bike.

--------------
Frank,
An original Ironman and the Inventor of PowerCranks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the Schwinn spin bike that I had picked up for ~125.00 from local Y when they were updating inventory. Works good, put on a real saddle and look pedals, but living in Florida I only use it on rare occasions. The only negative is that it is a little bit noisy to use inside the house.
Quote Reply
Re: "spin bike' vs. fluid trainer [trijs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hoping to find a used one, the Y was going to be one of my stops today.

Have the space already - my Griffen has been imprisoned on the fluid trainer for several weeks; I think the spin bike would have a smaller footprint. Noise? With a 5 and 8 y/o; hardly a problem!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Something you might want to consider before buying one of these used. I teach spinning at our YMCA and we use the Tomahawk brand bikes. Lately I noticed many of them in need of repair so I asked our handy man Juan "what's up with the broken bikes?" He informed me that NO Parts were available for these bikes. So we are piecing them together until they are all shot. I guess then it will have to be different bikes. I'm not sure if the company is going under or if they discontinued the model. But if you buy one for a good deal and then are not able to use it long, well that may stink. Any way I agree with the majority here. I sold my trainer over a year ago, the noise was agrivating and it was a hassle to deal with.
Quote Reply