Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

"resistance" swimming for newbie
Quote | Reply
I am trying to find resources for workouts and tips for a beginner swimmer who has access to a small home pool and for many reasons is forced to use a "resistance" swimming system. I realize there will be various opinions on the merits of such systems. I'm looking for input from anyone who has used one and can offer tips and perhaps a site that offers workouts for them. Most swim workouts I have found prescribe distance only. I would guess with a resistance device, the workouts will be based on time. I'm a fairly fit duathlete and badly want to start racing tri-s. Thanks for any help you can give me.
Quote Reply
Re: "resistance" swimming for newbie [fishin-frog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I used to use this tether back when we lived in an apartment building that had a small indoor pool: http://swimriptide.com/
I'd still use it today if I had free access to a small pool.

I particularly liked that you were attached to it by your feet rather than having a belt around your waist. As for workouts, I used to count strokes and estimate 1 stroke = 1 meter (which I'm sure is completely wrong but that's how I did it).

To keep things interesting, I would throw in 50- or 100-stroke surges where I tried to stretch out the bungee chord as far as possible and then ease off for 50 strokes which made for an interval set of sorts.

===
"I eased off a bit. It never feels like you are easing off. More like you just stake out your place in the pain cave and sit there rather than venturing deeper inside..." -- Rappstar
Quote Reply
Re: "resistance" swimming for newbie [Croptop] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I employ the Aquavee swim system in my backyard pool, in between open water and olympic pool workouts. I did by time and HR. Great workout and the belt does take time to get used to but once you do, look out.

Mark E. Goldstein, FACHE, FLEXR Sports sponsored, Brittons Tri Force Member, 7x Ironman finisher (10:37:12 PR exact time on 2x IMs), 20x Half Ironman finisher (4:43 PR), 11x Marathon finisher (2:57 PR)
Quote Reply