Quote | Reply
Hmmm are pimples faster than dimples?

~Matt
Quote Reply
Re: "reputable" Tom Demerly [synchronicity] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"the bike tape is my preference how it is put on"

translation: you have no clue how to put on handlebar tape

I have come to the conclusion after being a close observer and student of this sport for many years that half the people in this sport are "Experts" the other half are totally clueless.

As for Tom's original post on this, I got what he was trying to get - that many people in the sport don't take good care of their bikes( which is dead-on right), That many bikes out there are being ridden that are mechanically unsafe( which is dead-on right) and that many people are very poorly set up on their bikes( which is dead-on right).

Fleck

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: "reputable" Tom Demerly [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Playing devils advocate here. People also have the right to privacy and to wallow in their ignorance. Had Tom been a doctor and pulled something similar about "Look at how fat these people are? Why can't they maintain their bodies and trim that pubic hair". He would have been sued out of existance.

~Matt
Quote Reply
Re: "reputable" Tom Demerly [tri-3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm dropping off some dry cleaning today. If I find of my cleaner has posted pics of my clothes on drycleaners.com accompanied by unflattering comments about them, I would question whether that is a place I want to continue to do business with.

Its not that I don't have a thick skin or a sense of humor but I do expect some level of respect from people I am paying to perform a service for me. I'm not going to lose any sleep if that mustard stain on my blue shirt shows up on the internet but you can be assured I will have a new dry cleaner.
Quote Reply
Re: "reputable" Tom Demerly [Waterski] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would agree with you had Tom identified this guy in any way. To all but maybe a handful (if that) of people no one had any idea whose bike it was. It could have Tom's for all anyone knew here. This is no big deal and the reaction to it is hysterical on many levels
Quote Reply
Re: "reputable" Tom Demerly [MJuric] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Playing devils advocate here. People also have the right to privacy and to wallow in their ignorance. Had Tom been a doctor and pulled something similar about "Look at how fat these people are? Why can't they maintain their bodies and trim that pubic hair". He would have been sued out of existance."

Would that thread have been longer than this one?

Quote | Reply
Disturbing?!?.....That photo of you in bed with that tiny man was disturbing. ;-)
Quote Reply
Re: "reputable" Tom Demerly [victorbike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
If Mr. Demerly wanted to relay information to me he should have called me.

Ironic coming from you isn't it? You raised issues about Tom that had ZERO to do with this forum or his post. Your allegations are one sided and without proof. (Unlike Tom's photos) Had you kept your mouth shut no one would known it was your bike and if you felt it necessary to call Tom out on this then you could have called him to discuss it but instead you come here to troll and make accusations. It says a lot that you come to a forum you never have posted in before, anonymously, and make these statements and then run off. Sort of a drive by troll.
Quote Reply
Re: "reputable" Tom Demerly [5280] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I would agree with you had Tom identified this guy in any way. To all but maybe a handful (if that) of people no one had any idea whose bike it was. It could have Tom's for all anyone knew here. This is no big deal and the reaction to it is hysterical on many levels

No. It basically a matter of respect and ethics. Does not matter whether there has been identification of the owner to the public or not. The owner of the bike saw enough of the pictures to figure out that it was his bike and that is enough.

Tom did not respect his customer, and the people on Slowtwitch did not respect another athlete.

If you have problems following general guidelines for codes of ethics, respect, or personal interaction, I would perhaps recommend attending a seminar or an ethics class at your local college.

I deal with alot of people every day, and trust me, everyone has different levels of what they consider private and personal.
Last edited by: Waterski: Nov 9, 05 7:54
Quote Reply
Re: "reputable" Tom Demerly [Mr. Chin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
>> Truely disapointed in alot of ST people. <<

Stick around and you'll see this is par for the course for many, so next time don't be surprised.

clm

PS--You can put me down as a vote for totally uncool for Tom to post the pics like he did w/o the owners knowledge or permission. You can also put me down as a member of the "my bike is usually dirty" club.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: "reputable" Tom Demerly [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Shame on you clm!! :)
Quote Reply
Re: "reputable" Tom Demerly [MJuric] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The level of privacy expected and guaranteed by law with your Dr. is a bit different than the level you expect from your bike store. Would it be ok if Tom and his guys stood around and laughed at it? If Tom brought his friends who showed up for a ride? When is it okay for him to point this out and when is it not?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think the line is drawn somewhere well before posting on the internet, that's fair don't you think?

Portside Athletics Blog
Quote Reply
Re: "reputable" Tom Demerly [Kestrelkerri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I actually think the whole thing has been blown out of proportion, but then again my bike is always a museum piece and this is ST! ;)
Quote Reply
Re: "reputable" Tom Demerly [Kestrelkerri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why clean it when you can get someone else to come over and do it for you???? ;-)

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree with you that Tom was out of line by posting that stuff your bike. And yes, at any other bike shop, if an employee posted stuff like that about their customers they would be fired. Total lack of professionalism.
Quote Reply
Re: "reputable" Tom Demerly [Mr. Chin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For the record, if you look at it closely, I was trying to run away from that bed! ;-)

And I resent the expression "tiny man"! :-)

-
"Yeah, no one likes a smartass, but we all like stars" - Thom Yorke

smartasscoach.tri-oeiras.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If there was an expectation of privacy I might agree with you. Had Tom posted a picture of a bike that he held as a good example of great maintenance and care would you have an issue then?
Quote Reply
Re: "reputable" Tom Demerly [smartasscoach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

And I resent the expression "tiny man"! :-)[/reply]

I agree SAC, you aren't that small in stature. It likely should have read "tiny manHOOD" ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think 5280 has done an excellent job providing an example of what you were talking about.

Proud Founder of the Jamis Mafia- Daring to be different.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It doesn't matter, good/bad example. You don't post pics like he did w/o the owner's knowledge or permission. For me, it's a lack of professionalism.

Tough times don't last, tough people do ;-)
Francois.
Quote Reply
Re: "reputable" Tom Demerly [SwBkRn44] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No, that is my point, I don't see any expected right to privacy for a bike. I think that the poster has gone far beyond anything Tom did.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Would you be ok if your local car dealership posted pics of your car and talked about how poorly maintained it was on a forum? How about if your plumber posted pics of the piss stains on your toilet? I'm sure you can think of many other examples.

Proud Founder of the Jamis Mafia- Daring to be different.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I guess the easiest way to avoid the debate about whether what Tom did amounted to an invasion of privacy or just a bit of generous tweaking and brotherly advice is to leave it alone and confine each of our comments to how it would you feel.

Personally: posting a picture of any of my property, on the internet, without my permission let alone doing so as an invitation to a wide group of fellow athletes to comment disparagingly would P*ss me off about 6 out of 10.

Doing any work on my bike without getting my approval for whatever reason is a 10.

"Are you sure we're going fast enough?" - Emil Zatopek
Quote Reply

Prev Next