--
dude, consider chilling out a little.

Josef
-------
blog
Quote Reply
Re: "reputable" Tom Demerly [MJuric] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Actually considering todays dimple technology wouldn't a dirty bike be more aero than a clean one?"

Technically, those would be pimples, not dimples.
Quote Reply
Re: "reputable" Tom Demerly [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Real class act.....
Quote Reply
Re: "reputable" Tom Demerly [victorbike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I understand the complaint you're making. Not sure I agree with it, but understand where you're coming from.

Perhaps a note to Tom letting him know that, in the future, you'd prefer he not post pics of your bike on a publicforum. I don't know that swearing off communication with him is the rational choice.

Truth be told, there are some professions where I'd prefer the person care too much, be too torough, and go above and beyond the call ... anything to do with my (or loved one's) health, my car's health or (for a triathlete) bike health would be among those.

IMO, when Tom stops being so darn compulsive and obcessive about bikes, and/or loses his entusiasm and thoroughness ... THEN one should complain and/or take their bike elsewhere.

Personally, I'd rather my bike shop guy tell me there's 1,284 things that could be fixed/cleaned on my bike and let me choose what I want to pay for, rather than half-arse it and tell me "she's good to" when "she" may not be all that good to go.

There's gotta be some middle ground here, right? Tom posted the pics of the bike, and many of us got new ideas of things we should be looking at (not all of us are seasoned bike mechanics). Sorry you took the comments personally, but try and consider that people were commenting on the situation, not your worth as a human being.

Certainly Tom, through his past actions, has repeatedly shown that his intentions are good. Has anyone ever found Tom to be deliberately cruel or malicious in his postings?

=======================
-- Every morning brings opportunity;
Each evening offers judgement. --
Quote Reply
Re: "reputable" Tom Demerly [TripleThreat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
personally, I dream of a bike shop who will be as vigilent as Tom's appears to be. I have had too many run-ins with really crappy bike shops not doing what they say they are going to do.

Does anyone else not find it hysterical that nobody would have know it was this guys bike had he not posted and told us it was?
Quote Reply
Re: "reputable" Tom Demerly [adrialin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I feel for the guy, and each person is entitled to approach sports however they want to, but riding a lot is no excuse for neglecting your bike. It takes 30 seconds to check your bike before you ride, 2 minutes to wipe down your bike after a ride and another 15 minutes to clean and re-oil your chain once a week. That minimal maintenance avoids all sorts of problems and preserves your investment.

I think Tom did everyone a service by posting those photos--- He raised an important point: The same set of people who obsess over dimples on their carbon fiber and who pay thousands of dollars to shave a few pounds off of their bikes are not caring for these dream bikes.

-Marc
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
What a surprise I had when a friend of mine called me to say pictures of my Felt 2 were posted on the slowtwitch. I left my bike at Bikesport to be picked up and shipped by Tri-Bike transport for the Ironman Florida. I did tell Tom it was ready to go and not to work on it. I had just cleaned the chain and cog. I always finish cleaning the bike when I arrived and have it checked over by a mechanic at the site because it often get knocked during shipping. Tom makes it seem liked he worked on all the bikes- not true. My chain was not worn and dirty, it is my choice to use a pump- he never asked me if there was a reason for this and the bike tape is my preference how it is put on. The kinked shift cable was a piece of dust! I find it interesting no other bike company that shipped bike went on the internet to talk about the bikes. If Mr. Demerly wanted to relay information to me he should have called me. Any other bike store would have fired an employee for doing what he did. I bought a lightspreed from Tom two years ago. He does do a good job of fitting, however , I went to a tri camp with chuckie v and he changed my position! Purchasing a bike at bikesport requires the entire amount of the purchase price to be paid in advance! What other bike shop does this. I wonder, can't Tom get credit from his suppliers. As a past member of the Wolverine's, Tom agreed to sponsor and had his logo on the jersey, he never would pay the club the sponsorship. Mr. Tom Demerly needs to learn about professionalism. Tri-Bike needs to find another drop off point. I will not be responding to anything that Mr Demerly replies to.

Let's see... you claim to have been perhaps emotionally distressed or defamed by a post made my Mr. Demerly about a Felt bike owned by an anonymous owner without specifically identifying you? I don't think there's any basis for a cause of action against him for what he did.

On the other hand... I'd say that the text in red could be construed as emotionally distressing or defaming Mr. Demerly specifically. I would not be surprised if there was a basis for a cause of action against you for that.

If someone has already posted something like this, sorry... I don't have time to read through all the posts...
Quote Reply
Re: "reputable" Tom Demerly [Mr. Chin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What the heck do you have against Tom? I obviously missed something, but you're sure the first to jump in on any thread which involves him. You're like a freakin' stalker, 'cause you NEVER miss a Tom Demerly thread! Crazy, yet totally annoying.
Quote Reply
Re: "reputable" Tom Demerly [Frank13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Personally I don't give a flying flapper jack how anyone else treats their bike...none of my business. I may be one of the few on here that loves cycling, rides a pretty good bike, makes sure it is safe, but spends no time cleaning it and as a result it is often caked with some dirt. I wake up in the morning smiling. Why should this bother anyone. I would rather spend my time enjoying the ride then polishing it. But that's just me.

Quote | Reply
BTW, "Francis" is not necessarily a woman's name. In fact, it was my father's middle name. So, *really* lighten up this time, k? ;-) ;-)[/reply]

BTW "Michelle" is not necessarily a woman's name. In fact, it may be Francois's middle name. Perhaps the lightening up should start a bit closer to home...
==============================================================================================

Play nice children or you will sit on the naughty chairs in recess!

"How bad can it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Re: "reputable" Tom Demerly [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh yeah, THANKS A LOT TOM. because of you, I had to RETAPE my aerobars yesterday after yor initial post because I felt like a poser. I actually taped them the other way for preference, but now that they are the right way, I feel that all is well with the slowtwich universe :) Sadly, I don't clean my bike enough but I definitely clean the chain enough.

berndog
How did we all get sucked into this crazy sport anyway?!!
Quote Reply
Re: "reputable" Tom Demerly [berndog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Grow up. If I saw my filthy bike on a web site I'd piss my pants and get on with life. Most people who work in bike shops are pretty odd anyway. Relax.
Quote Reply
Re: "reputable" Tom Demerly [AJHull] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, AJ you are entitled to feel that way. Actually go look at my bike and you can tell I feel the same.

But if someone were to take pictures of it and post in on the web and show how dirty it was, I wouldn't care. It's dirty I know it, and I dont care.

Victor appearently has a dirty bike, knows it (I think), doesn't want anyone else to know it, but in reality his freind knows it cause they could spot it in unlabeled pictures. Then jumps on a forum and tells everyone that the dirty Felt is his. So know we all know he rides a dirty bike and I think is ashamed of it.

I also know if I take my bike to Tom, It may show up as a don't bike somewhere. Will get fixed properly and with more care then I have seen from any of the local bikestores around me so far.

Hey maybe we can start a Dirty little Bike thread.

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Re: "reputable" Tom Demerly [Diablo-Advocato] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Devil,
My first thought's were exactly the same.

So should we all Hail to the Victor????

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Re: "reputable" Tom Demerly [astrotri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would welcome the opportunity to have my bike critiqued thusly! I try to keep it clean, but I have no idea of the small things to look for that might suggest a problem down the road. Even looking at the photos you posted (did these come from Tom's article?), I can't conclusively determine the problems in all of the circled areas.

We are (in part) an informational forum, and if my bike "has" to be depicted in order to demonstrate problem areas, then I wouldn't mind at all. My name here is not anonymous, but my bike sure is.....and even at that, my ego is not so large that I would get offended by having my "ignorance" (which I acknowledge) put on public display.
Quote Reply
Re: "reputable" Tom Demerly [Ironman Bangkok] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
are you talking to me dude? Can't you read. There was a smiley in the frickin post dude. I love Tom D. I was just saying that because I respect him so much, I ACTUALLY RETAPED my bars just because he said that. Dude, you need to learn to read between the lines.

In case no one else got it, I am so glad Tom D is here and I totally soak up all his info, and I have read every stinkin equipment review on his site.

And my bike wasn't on the website. Then again, maybe you are replying to victorbike and not to me, but if so, you have to make that clear man and specificially reply to him and not to the last poster.

berndog
How did we all get sucked into this crazy sport anyway?!!
Last edited by: berndog: Nov 9, 05 4:19
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What? You have never met man-child who thinks that a 10 degree "kink" in a shifter cable is a sin against humanity and another great opportunity to publicize himself?
Quote Reply
Re: "reputable" Tom Demerly [Diablo-Advocato] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am not sure I agree with Tom's decision to post those pics, but that's pretty irrelevant, I am sure I have made some decisions that Tom wouldn't agree with.

However, it seems as if he knew he might be stirring up trouble, his post did start with "Not to be a dick but..."

Usually when you say that you know you are in danger of being viewed as a dick so I don't think this rant should come as a suprise to anyone.

Portside Athletics Blog
Quote Reply
Re: "reputable" Tom Demerly [SwBkRn44] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Personally, I'd like to thank Tom for the post and for taking some of the grief this thread gave him.

To just write some of those problems doesn't quite demonstrate the problem. Before Tom's pics, I pictured a 'kinked cable' as something so obviously bent that it may as well have been folded into a giraff like a balloon in the hands of a circus clown. It helps to see the detailed level of 'unnacceptability' an anal bike mechanic found on these bikes.

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: "reputable" Tom Demerly [AJHull] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"flying flapper jack"

I LOVE THAT!!
Quote Reply
Re: "reputable" Tom Demerly [Jon499] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am not criticizing Tom or thanking him, he seems like a super nice guy to me. All I am saying, is that this shouldn't be a suprise to him or anyone else, he obviously had some idea that he might come across as a bad guy. However, this also means not tearing apart the original poster. If Tom initially conceded what he was doing might be perceived as dick-ish, then we shouldn't flame someone for when they call him on it.

Portside Athletics Blog
Quote Reply
Re: "reputable" Tom Demerly [Kestrelkerri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why cause Tom grief?

He is doing his job - he is very particular about his job (call it anal if you like) but that is something that is sadly missing in so many professions these days - particularly professions involving maintenance of items that can either harm us or help us (cars and bikes -- planes too for that matter)

Have I ever bought anything from Tom? A pair of sunglasses once.

Have I ever visited his store? Yes - several times while in the area.

Would Tom even know who I am? Probably not

Was he advertising his services? No - he was merely pointing out items that as a wrench - concerned him.

Ok - dirt on a bike - that's no big deal to some people - to others - it's a huge deal.

Worn and damaged components - that's a whole other story

The general basis to the thread was that so many people poorly maintain their bikes and if by that one thread - one of the thousands of slowtwitchers here inspoects their bike and finds damage that could contribute to a serious wreck - and it is avoided - then Tom's post is worth all the shit he has copped over this.

I am certain - that many people - who have not posted on this thread - have had a second look at their bikes and possible re-considered the way they care for them as a result of his inital thread.

Why be the Peaceful Tribe anymore - let's call ourselves the Troll's bitches

because sadly - too many folks come in here - drag a thread through to stir up crap - and disappear - never to contribute.

Tom D on the other hand - along with so many other people in here - are CONTRIBUTORS on so many levels and by being visible - unfortunately that attracts freaks like flies to flypaper

Get over it - clean and maintain your bikes - or don't - that's your call - but is it really worth the time of day that everyone has spent replying on this thread?????

Flame away - I am done with this thread
Last edited by: AndrewJ: Nov 9, 05 6:47
Quote Reply
Re: "reputable" Tom Demerly [SwBkRn44] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think the person who owned the Felt has the right to be upset over having his bicycle posted on the website. I furthermore think it's downright thoughtless for several members of this forum to flame the guy for posting his legitimate feelings. One guy, even told him off in an off hand manner, stating that he was the reason why he has to sign up for Ironman 365 days in advance.

As I sat sat there and read the posts, I truely developed a sense of disrespect for a lot of the people in this group. The guy, Victory, or whatever, has the right not to have his personal belongings posted and discussed on open forum without his prior permission. If Tom had asked the guy for the "GO" to post and got it, then Tom could have gone ahead and did his presentation without violating customer-store "ethics". The bike was brought there to be shipped, not to be presented as a "unmaintained" scenario for a dialogue on a forum. Since it is very apparent that Tom did not ask for permission, I feel that Tom did over step his boundries from an ethical standpoint.

Alot of people treat their equipment very personally. To some other people, a bicycle is something you leave behind the garage until you need. Some other people treat the bicycle better than they treat themselves. To some people, maybe having a picture of their bicycle picked apart on the internet is like someone posting a candid photo of them in the locker room, even though the face is blurred. If the person has feelings about their equipment put on display without permission, I feel it is wrong to try and "troll" them out or what ever the posters on this forum do to belittle that person.

Truely disapointed in alot of ST people.
Quote Reply
Re: "reputable" Tom Demerly [Waterski] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well said, sometimes things can be good-natured around here, sometimes they can be a little spiteful.

Portside Athletics Blog
Quote Reply
Re: "reputable" Tom Demerly [Waterski] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I also agree to the point of this. I see that extreme closeups were done, and I know that most of the details of many of our bikes would look like a catastrophe waiting to happen magnified to that degree. More a show a good macro photography than problems other than housekeeping. And, permission would have justified it and made a very professional point.

Gary Geiger
http://www.geigerphoto.com Professional photographer

TEAM KiWAMi NORTH AMERICA http://www.kiwamitri.com, Rudy Project http://www.rudyprojectusa.com, GU https://guenergy.com/shop/ ; Salming World Ambassador; https://www.shopsalming.com
Quote Reply

Prev Next