Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
"real" food that won't get nasty or spoil on a long, hot ride?
Quote | Reply
Seeing the "shot blocks" thread got me thinking: Bars and gels are getting old, and there's 3.5 months to go this season. Most of the bars get pretty messy around 85 degrees and 3 hours into it anyhow. What kinds of real food have you guys packed along that will keep? I'd do a ham sandwich if I could- if nothing else, my stomach is strong, and I crave REAL, SOLID food 3 hours into a workout!

If I don't, who will? -Me
It's like being bipolar in opinion is a requirement around here. -TripleThreat
Quote Reply
Re: "real" food that won't get nasty or spoil on a long, hot ride? [lunchbox] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pop Tarts. 400 calories of sugary sweet goodness.

---------------------------------------------------

Brawndo's got what plants crave. Brawndo's got electrolytes. And that's what plants crave. They crave electrolytes. Which is what Brawndo has. And that's why plants crave Brawndo. Not water, like from the toilet.
Quote Reply
Re: "real" food that won't get nasty or spoil on a long, hot ride? [lunchbox] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Whole wheat fig bars, PB &J

Quote | Reply
I am a fan of beef jerky of any kind. I also read somewhere that it has a very nice mix of carbs, fat and protein.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Smuckers uncrustables. You will find them in the freezer section. They are individually packaged, I drop one in my pocket on the way out the door, it takes about an hour for it to defrost and is all good 2-3hrs. into the ride. They make pb&j (grape or strawberry) and pb&honey.

B-
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
payday candy bar

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Peanut butter-filled pretzels. Individually-wrapped string cheese. Bananas. And of course pb&j.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Banana bread.

"You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream" - Les Brown
"Discipline is the bridge between goals and accomplishment" - Jim Rohn
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cheese sandwich.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
nature valley trail mix bars are awesome for me on the bike

fig newtons or similar worked really well for me in long training ride/IM, they get softer when they get warm, which is actually a good thing

pizza is okay (better in a special needs bag vs. back pocket

banana's work okay

pretzels, potato chips, gummy bears

but i think granola bars will probably be the best bet

"Anyone can work hard when they want to; Champions do it when they don't."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Avoid the Bike Nashbar sushi kit. It doesn't keep well
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I do a honey wheat bagel. 290cal with some protien (sometimes w/ PB). I put it in a zip lock bag and slide it over my aero bars. Works like a champ.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Administrator [ In reply to ]
Re: "real" food that won't get nasty or spoil on a long, hot ride? [triyourbest] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I do a honey wheat bagel. 290cal with some protien (sometimes w/ PB). I put it in a zip lock bag and slide it over my aero bars. Works like a champ.

Peanut butter in the aerobars???? It's brilliant! Is there better motivation in the whole world? If I ride fast I can eat peanut butter!

I have a new IronMan nutrition strategy....

Jodi
Last edited by: Jodi: May 28, 07 18:10
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bean and Cheese burritos ... Taco Bell et al. Get them the day before and toss in fridge. then, put in jersey pocket and eat when needed during ride. Very good.

"In case of flood climb to safety"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ice cream sandwiches...bad idea
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I second pop tarts... How else can you get 1200 cals. in one jersey pocket?
Quote Reply
Re: "real" food that won't get nasty or spoil on a long, hot ride? [canuck8] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I like the sound of that- maybe if I make some of those "just add milk" muffins and freeze them...

If I don't, who will? -Me
It's like being bipolar in opinion is a requirement around here. -TripleThreat
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just for laughs, I'd like to pack along some fried chicken. It would be cool to have bones sticking out my jersey pocket.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you are near one, Trader Joe's sells blueberry 'newtons.' They are individually packaged~130 Cal each.
Dried fruit works well.

Take everything I say with a grain of salt. I know nothing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cheddar cheese combos. Yummmmmmy

infinIT Nutrition
Custom Blended Nutrition Solutions
http://www.infinITNutrition.com

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

I really like potatoes- baked, boiled, or oven roasted. Just add a bunch of sea salt, stick em in a ziplock bag, and you're good to go. They have good carbs, they're bland yet salty, and they also have a lot of potassium and vitamin C.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Sliced bagel in a zip lock with a very little bit of peanut butter. Ice cold coke is always great on a long ride. Raspberry/Fig newtons are staple on long rides as well. The more I have real food, the less I like gels, gu's, and powerbars, although I usually take those along as well.
Quote Reply
Re: "real" food that won't get nasty or spoil on a long, hot ride? [DavidinMA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just had a couple fried chicken tenders from the Publix deli for lunch. Those would fit in my Bento box and taste really good-- hot or cold! My fingers would get slippery from grease; I'd lose my grip and bust my a$$ going down a hill though-- so nevermind!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply

Prev Next