Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

"puncture resistance" tubular tires
Quote | Reply
How much marketing is in the term "puncture resistance" for tubular tires? I double flatted along with a few others on some glass in a 1/2 Iron and want to avoid this as best as possible at IMFL. Any recommedations?
Quote Reply
Re: "puncture resistance" tubular tires [XFalcon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Was this at DiamondMan in DE?

I saw a TON of flats today (two in the first mile) and thanked my lucky stars that I didn't get one since I ride Vittoria Corsa's. There was a lot of broken glass on that course and I'm amazed more folks didn't flat.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Mike R

Software Engineer and Mac geek
Aspiring to be front-middle-of-the-pack in 2010.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
probaby Tufo tires with sealant or the Conti GP4000 tubulars or any Conti's vectran breaker tubular series, I'm on Vittorias and they're smooooth and fast but slice rather easily
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Conti has a gatorskin tubular. It's what I use for a spare, but fortunately I don't have any experience in riding it. I've had great experience with the gatorskin clinchers.

scott
Quote Reply
Re: "puncture resistance" tubular tires [miker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep, Diamondman. Two brand new Dugaste Speed Silk tires....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
How much marketing is in the term "puncture resistance" for tubular tires? I double flatted along with a few others on some glass in a 1/2 Iron and want to avoid this as best as possible at IMFL. Any recommedations?

IME tubulars are considerably more resistant to puncture than tubulars. But tubulars flat only in the most important races :)

Sergio

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: English is not my first language. Please read this translated post considering that.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry to hear that, especially on such nice tires.

This was my third (and last) year at this race. The glass on the roads is just one of many issues I had today, and I rarely complain about races.

Mike R

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did Diamond Man in De last year and saw very few flats. How hot was the run in the sun along the C&D canal? Last year it was a real cooker. Tim
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
do you repair them your self or send them away for repair ?

that is a very expensive race for you

dirt

Slowtwitch bitchist place on planet earth
Quote Reply
Re: "puncture resistance" tubular tires [cervelorider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The run was brutal this year. My run split is shameful. The heat from overhead and reflecting off of the canal made it like a furnace. I remember last year being hot probably about as hot as this year.

Mike R

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm really glad I did not do DDT today, but I did this first year Oly Tri in the Lebanon Round Pond Recreation area of N.J. today. The swim was really good in clean clear water, but the bike ride was very hilly with about one third of it on poor surfaces (but well shaded) and the run was in the sun with lots of hills. You might look into it for next September. Tim
Quote Reply
Re: "puncture resistance" tubular tires [cervelorider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I grew up in the Round Valley area (about 30 minutes north). Yeah, it's a very hilly area and Round Valley is a great area for swimming. That reservoir is really deep too, if I remember correctly.

You definitely made the better choice.

Mike R

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
At the pre race briefing the RD said the water was like 185 feet deep and so if you get into trouble you had better wave your swim cap for rescue, because they wouldn't find your body. I don't care how deep the water is if its more then 5 feet (can't stand up and breath). Any way it was one of my best open water swims and I would even go as far as to say that the water is cleaner then Mirror Lake, the Lake Placid IM swim venue. The LPIM swim venue still gets my top rating because of the 1.2 mile under water yellow line to follow. But the pot holed roads and rough surfaces sucked for the bike. Tim
Quote Reply