Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

"flipping" the bar-end shifters...
Quote | Reply
While investigating the possibility of adding a 3rd brake lever to my aero bars, I came to the realization that my bar-end shifters (Dura Ace) were mounted upside down (ie. the Friction/SIS dials were pointed at each other instead of pointing out).

My bike (Cervelo Dual) came assembled, and that's the way it came. Since it's my first experience with bar-ends, I didn't realize they were upside down.

After looking at bike pics from various sources (race pics, ads, threads on this forum), it appears to be fairly common with Cervelos and Cervelos only (which is very strange, but whatever). Even in most of the magazine ads, the Cervelos have them upside down. I found almost no other bikes besides Cervelos that had the shifters mounted this way.

I flipped them around for a while, but eventually went back to having them upside down. They seem much easier to shift this way - especially the front. I think it's because the front shifter is tough to reach with S-bends (T2+, in my case) since it's pointed mostly (or completely) straight down. It also seems to fit my thumb/fingers better with the concave toward me.

I did like the cleaner look of having the cables running under the bars. But, I still switched for the comfort and performance (ease of shifting).

Anyway, I'm curious if any else has noticed this (the Cervelo thing) or experimented with flipping them around.

Thanks.

Steve

Steve

"If you ain't first, you're last." Reese Bobby Talladega Nights
Quote Reply
Re: "flipping" the bar-end shifters... [The_Mickstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Profile carbon extensions have the internal cable routed such that it's the only way they fit.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Some are born to move the world to live their fantasies...

https://triomultisport.com/
http://www.mjolnircycles.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quite a few people prefer them flipped over like that. I dont' think it makes a difference either way, just a personal preference thing.
Quote Reply
Re: "flipping" the bar-end shifters... [BK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just as long as you don't have them flipped with the shifter INSIDE the bar, I think you'll be OK.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yup - makes no difference. I just recabled my Guru and flipped 'em. Easier for me to shift up into the big ring on the left as well which is the hardest shift on any bike with cold fingers.

Quote | Reply
My Dual came the same way, works great for me, so if it ain't broke...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's how I run them. I like them better seems like they shift better, but mostly like how they look like their flipping someone off : )
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's not a "Cervelo thing", just how some shops prefer to install the bar end shifters. The bikes come from Cervelo with only the BB, crankset and rear brake caliper installed so all the other components come in individual boxes for the mechanics to put on the bike.

It doesn't matter whether they point up or down as long as you like them that way and they work as they are designed to.

-Darrell

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
up facing is supposed to be easier to shift to an easier gear.

down facing is supposed to be easier to shift to a harder gear.

Dan
www.aiatriathlon.com

http://www.aiatriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Re: "flipping" the bar-end shifters... [dennis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
re: they look like their flipping someone off : )

thats funny, i think the same way! Nytro has built all of their Tri bikes with them pointing back for years. when i worked there, and customers would ask whats the difference, i would ask if they would rather ride down the road like this (i simulate aero position with middle fingers pointing out) or like this (same position, double middle fingers) got a lot of laughs, and that was the only explanation needed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Down" facing allows you to slap-shift at the start and turn-around of a TT, which has won me more than one race.

Tech writer/support on this here site. FIST school instructor and certified bike fitter. Formerly at Diamondback Bikes, LeMond Fitness, FSA, TiCycles, etc.
Coaching and bike fit - http://source-e.net/ Cyclocross blog - https://crosssports.net/ BJJ instruction - https://ballardbjj.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is an InsideOutSports preferred way of mounting your bar end shifters upside down for the exact same reasons you decided to keep them upside down for. If I remember correctly, you bought your bike there. They did the same thing with my P3SL and my buddy's Saber. Freaked me out at first as I was used to the other way.

t

Team Endurance Nation
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
definitely the way to go, even super strong as I am I have a hard time going to an easier gear on a "normally" installed shifter. Problem is some bars (many Profiles for example) have really clean internal cable routing that only works in the normal position...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My personal preference is for an upside down FD shifter and a right side up RD shifter. I find it's more logical to pull up to go to an easier gear and "slap down" as someone else mentioned to go to a harder gear.

Cable routing is always something that can be worked around. I have tried both directions with visiontech, HED and profile T2s. ALll work quite well in either direction.
Quote Reply