Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
"filler" snacks?
Quote | Reply
 So I've just started my first "real" job after graduating from college. Unfortunately this also coincides with an accident I had a few weeks ago which resulted in some major road rash, quite a bit on my face. Luckily none of it was deep enough to cause much of a concern, but a family friend who is a plastic surgeon has advised me to keep out of the sun of up to a year if I want to make sure I don't get any weird pigmentation.

In the meantime I have been sitting around in the office doing work and eating just as I had been before, I found that whatever I eat goes in and out of my body really fast and leaves my stomach growling within an hour and a half to two hours. I find that when I don't use much energy on a daily basis I go to the bathroom really soon after every meal, like within 2 hours. This is really annoying and has always happened to me if I don't exercise. It has been the same for me as long as I can remember. I am 5'10 around 120-126 lbs, though I only stand on the scale out of curiosity if one is near (so maybe once a year). Basically I have been around the same weight since I stopped growing taller.

I can only assume that this is because I really don't need much nutrition sitting around all day and I am just used to eating a lot to keep my energy up. No, I don't have any weird disease or worm!

So to finally get to my question, does anyone have a recommendation for some snacks that sit in your stomach for longer? In the past when I have had this problem I just ate some steel cut oats which worked out just fine, but its not too convenient to cook things at work. A buddy recommended eating some grainy bread (low gi) so I brought a loaf of la brea whole grain bread to work, ended up eating the whole loaf!
Quote Reply
Re: "filler" snacks? [daryl1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Something with some protein. I like apples and peanut butter.

chris

"You can quit, and no one will care if you do. But you will know."
~John Collins, Ironman founder

Member HED Mafia
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
whole grain bread with peanut butter and a little honey.

If you don't have the patience to make that you can do the less healthy (200 calories each) smuckers uncrustables PB&Honey.

Orange is very filling too.

http://tri-ingfatman.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
x2 on peanut butter and honey on whole wheat. Cut it into quarters and it's not too heavy. That was my absolute staple food during IM training.
Quote Reply
Re: "filler" snacks? [slowhokie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ha, everyone says peanut butter, which is pretty much the only thing I can't eat! I am mildly allergic to peanuts (my throat goes a bit numb and if I eat too much I will throw up). I think I will give your guys' recommendations a go with almond butter, sounds like it should work out fine :)

I don't really care how many calories I eat, but don't really like stuff that is too sweet so a granny smith apple with almond butter sounds good :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh, rough on no peanut butter. Almond butter is a good sub though, if a bit more expensive... When I have access to a fridge at work, cottage cheese on wheat or plain yogurt with honey and granola are also an option.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I love to do the peanut butter and honey but i wrap mine in a tortilla!

Or my favorite snack when i was working full time was peanut butter filled pretzels.

Quote | Reply
everyone keeps saying "something with protien" and then saying peanut butter. PB (and nut butters) is more of a fat than a good protein source. It can be filling, but look at something like yogurt that is a good protein source, too.
Quote Reply
Re: "filler" snacks? [krull_etc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
everyone keeps saying "something with protien" and then saying peanut butter. PB (and nut butters) is more of a fat than a good protein source. It can be filling, but look at something like yogurt that is a good protein source, too.

I was thinking the same thing. I love peanut butter, but it is mostly fat and not the best protein source anyway.
A great snack is strained yogurt, mostly protein and they make the 'no' fat kinds.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carrots and hummus is pretty good.

Morning snack, one of those instant packets of oatmeal is filling.

Want: 58cm Cervelo Soloist. PM me if you have one to sell

Vintage Cervelo: A Resource
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My wife and I eat Clif Bars as our normal out of the house snack. They're a little bit more money but are quite well balanced. They taste okay, but aren't something you eat unless you're hungry.

Ken

"the trick is to keep losing weight until your friends and family ask you if you've been sick. then you know you're within 10 pounds. if they start whispering to each other, wondering if you've got cancer or aids, you're within 5. when they actually do an intervention, you're at race weight." - Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tortillas and peanur butter. both can be stored in a desk drawer without refridgeration and make great, quick, sandwiches.

Twitter @achtervolger
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Protein is without a doubt , the reason why you are hungry.

I have an arsenal of snack foods to tie me over , some with protein, some without.

- Watermelon , always have one chopped into bite size in tupperware in the fridge..

- Oatmeal plain or with bananas.

- Heinz low fat soups , dump a can of tuna ( in brine or water inside ) add frozen veggies , nuke. A highly nutritious meal that WILL fill you. I alternate tuna with chicken.

- Go to your local supermarket and buy a BBQ chicken for lunch twice weekly , save the balance for snacks ( if there is balance ).

- Hommus with any veggie. Cucumber , carrot , celery , capsicum all are brilliant.

It all starts at the supermarket. Take a stroll around and buy meal snacks and not crap.

READ your labels carefully as N. American producers ( generally speaking ) are very dodgy disguising crap.

NO partially hydrogenated oils , no MSG , no high fructose corn syrup , etc. etc. etc.

Good luck :)

Terry

"You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream" - Les Brown
"Discipline is the bridge between goals and accomplishment" - Jim Rohn
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
So I've just started my first "real" job after graduating from college...
In the meantime I have been sitting around in the office doing work and eating just as I had been before...
Basically I have been around the same weight since I stopped growing taller...
I can only assume that this is because I really don't need much nutrition sitting around all day and I am just used to eating a lot to keep my energy up...
...so I brought a loaf of la brea whole grain bread to work, ended up eating the whole loaf!

Ah, the good old days in my 20's of eating everything in sight and not gaining a pound, I remember when the cruelty of the slowing metabolism first hit me. I put on 10lbs. in a heartbeat and I was "just sitting around the office eating just as I had before". Before you start thinking about "filler snacks", you should look longer term at your current activity level and your daily caloric intake. Unless you are working out more, you don't need filler. Just spread your normal intake around a little better. Instead of the full breakfast, eat half and take half along for later when the hunger hits. If not, your next thread will be "How do I take of 25lbs?".

Nowadays, in my late 40's, I can't afford to mess around with extra calories. They are too much work!

Brad

3SIXTY5cycling.com
Quote Reply
Re: "filler" snacks? [canuck8] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
2x on oatmeal and banana. Of course the occasional chocalate and poptart are okay

Re: "filler" snacks? [redtdi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
My wife and I eat Clif Bars as our normal out of the house snack.

Ken
My wife and I do the Clif Z-Bars. They are smaller and a lot tastier than the clif bar and only about 100 cals if you are watching the intake. We usually buy the chocolate brownie or peanut butter ones online by the case.

They have made up my mid morning or afternoon snacks at the office for about a year and you don't have to worry about making anything of special storage.

Up Up Down Down Left Right Left Right B A B A
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bummer on the peanut butter. I know everyone is saying its more of a fat source, but at least they're good fats. On another note, ever tried Nutella? its a hazelnut spread and is as delicious as any other "butter" out there.
Quote Reply
Re: "filler" snacks? [finderal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cheese and crackers.

Instant oatmeal if you have a hot water source

"I wanted movement and not a calm course of existence. I wanted excitement and danger and the chance to sacrifice myself for my love. I felt in myself a superabundance of energy which found no outlet in our quiet life. " -- Leo Tolstoy --
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cottage cheese

Hard boiled eggs

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: "filler" snacks? [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You said you like steel cut oats.... I do as well - I make them in advance and then just take them to work and eat them at room temperature. If you have a microwave, you could heat them up; it saves on having to "make" food at work.

I make a big batch of steel cut oats once a week, so I can just scoop some out each day into a small bowl for a snack. I make them in the crockpot, which makes the whole process easy.
Quote Reply
Re: "filler" snacks? [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Cottage cheese

Hard boiled eggs

Both work well for me and I like both spicy, capers, olives, hot sauce.

Of course I fart a lot...

"you know, aero trumps training ;-) "
R10C 10/09
Quote Reply
Re: "filler" snacks? [iwgu1030] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I thought this thread was going to be about low-calorie snacks that keep you full. I could come up with a lot more stuff for that one.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Baker's Breakfast Cookies.

They are awesome. Taste good, fill you up, come in about 15 flavors.

http://www.bbcookies.com/shop/home.php?cat=1

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i find avocados pretty filling for me. somewhat high in calorie but they do offer up a good dose of unsaturated fat, antioxidants, and potassium. spread some on multigrain bread or have with some pita or crackers and you have a nice filling little snack.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
everyone is talking about protein a lot and I agree...but also increasing your fiber intake will make you feel more full.
Quote Reply

Prev Next