Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
"decorating" a wheel cover...
Quote | Reply
Well, I bit the bullet and blew some of my Christmas money on a custom-cut wheel cover from wheelbuilder.com . (Even a cheapskate like me can't pass up a little extra speed for <$100.) It should be here just after the first of the year.

So, now I'm looking for ideas to spruce it up. I recall seeing some interesting designs posted, but can't seem to track any down with the search. So, if you have a wheel cover (or even an actual disk for that matter) that you've "decorated", and wouldn't mind posting a pic, I would appreciate it. Or, if there's a pro out there with a design you find particularly nice, that'd be good, too.

Thanks.

Steve

Steve

"If you ain't first, you're last." Reese Bobby Talladega Nights
Quote Reply
Re: "decorating" a wheel cover... [The_Mickstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I bought one too for my PT.

Interested like you are

I think Tai has some designs for sale.

jaretj
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I remember seeing a thread with custom wheel decals/designs when I was looking to get this done, but I can't find it now.
Did find this however.

"Here's how you run a marathon. Step 1: You start running. Step 2: There is no step 2." - Barney (How I Met Your Mother)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you have a small child, give him/her a silver Sharpie marker and let him/her go to town.

---------------------------------------------------

Brawndo's got what plants crave. Brawndo's got electrolytes. And that's what plants crave. They crave electrolytes. Which is what Brawndo has. And that's why plants crave Brawndo. Not water, like from the toilet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm trying to get our tri club logo put on my cover. I just want that middle part with the water, foot, and spokes. I think it will look good when it's finished.

There was a picture of a red cervelo dual with a wheel cover that had a yellow sunflower design on it but I couldn't find the thread.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A few I have done in the past

Quote Reply
Re: "decorating" a wheel cover... [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nice, Ken. Yours is one that I remembered seeing.

Is that vinyl decal or ??? If decal, is it from Tai? If so, do you mind me asking what it cost?

I actually like the simpler designs (like yours, the yellow "star" in PaintIt's post and the "sunflower" I've seen posted on here).

I'm thiinking of doing a simple black & white design. I'd like to do something something that looks like it's spinning backwards when in motion (like some car wheels & the Xentis Mark 1 wheels). I just need to find a nice, simple design that will give that effect.

Thanks.

Steve

Steve

Quote Reply
Re: "decorating" a wheel cover... [PaintIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That pinup design is sweet!

--------------------------------------------------------------
"A bucket...if you haven't puked in it you could be going harder."
- Lazy Ben
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow! Nice work. Great detail. Probably a little too pricey for an $65 wheel cover, though.

Steve

Steve

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Nice, Ken. Yours is one that I remembered seeing.

Is that vinyl decal or ??? If decal, is it from Tai? If so, do you mind me asking what it cost?

I actually like the simpler designs (like yours, the yellow "star" in PaintIt's post and the "sunflower" I've seen posted on here).

I'm thiinking of doing a simple black & white design. I'd like to do something something that looks like it's spinning backwards when in motion (like some car wheels & the Xentis Mark 1 wheels). I just need to find a nice, simple design that will give that effect.

Thanks.

Steve

I put my 8 year old daughter to work with some markers while I did some squats.

Actually, it's adhesive vinyl, made from some white stock I got at a sign making company for like $10 (they gouged me, I'm sure). It was a bitch to get on straight without getting a huge amount of air bubbles (of which there are many still); probably easier as a two person operation.

Here's an interesting one: http://www.michaelbach.de/ot/mot_ske/index.html

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the link. Some great ideas on there.

Steve

Steve

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
quick question. Is the wheel cover from wheel builder different from the CH aero cover. I checked wheel builders site and they say its ABS plastic which the ch cover says its mylar. Im pretty sure thats not the same thing but hey if im dumb let me know. Also has anyone ever thought of going to one of those air brush kiosks in the mall and having them do a design in stead of printing up a big vinyl sticker and fighting with it to get it on straight with no air bubbles? Just a thought.

God's in his heaven, alls right with the world -Nerv
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow, that is amazing work. how much does something like that go for?

This is your life, and it's ending one minute at a time. - Fight Club
Industry Brat.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sunflower wheel cover.

- Stopped Clock

Correct twice a day.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Those rock! How much do you charge? Do you happen to own a tattoo needle?
Quote Reply
Re: "decorating" a wheel cover... [Peleton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LOL , only airbrush needles and I don't think the paint is on toxic. Generally a wheel starts at $250.00 and can go as far as you want. All of my wheels are painted with automotive paints and clearcoated with gloss or flat. Have not really been doing any in a while just a couple of frames since the hurricanes.
Quote Reply
Re: "decorating" a wheel cover... [StoppedClock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is sweet!

Sunflowers are my favorite flower!!! Shoot, I might have to steal that idea... black and pink though....

In Reply To:
LOL , only airbrush needles and I don't think the paint is on toxic. Generally a wheel starts at $250.00 and can go as far as you want. All of my wheels are painted with automotive paints and clearcoated with gloss or flat. Have not really been doing any in a while just a couple of frames since the hurricanes.
So I could mail you a picture of what I wanted and you'd give me a quote? Is that how it works? $250 sounds cheap
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
are things getting anywhere near back to normal down there?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That star is mine. It turned out great and I can't say enough nice things about how easy it was to work with PaintIt. He painted my Renn disk - but since now I have a PowerTap I will be getting a race cover for it, so my 'star' disk may be the prettiest back up disk around.

Incidently, the design for the star came directly off of Liz Phair's guitar! lol
Quote Reply
Re: "decorating" a wheel cover... [Kentiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Things are pretty normal where I frequest but you do not have to go far to see signs of no progress. I have just started to get back on the bike since finishing my father in laws house after flooding.

Hey Brian good to hear the disk is doing well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you ever custom painted a Hed3 or deep carbon wheel? You know, to make the carpet (front) match the drapes (rear).
Quote Reply
Re: "decorating" a wheel cover... [Picasso_Bull] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have not painted those particular wheels but I have done Spinnergy, LEWs and some others. I have a set of Carbon Concept lightweight that are scheduled to be done with a frameset. I am not really keen on doing the spoked wheels unless the are delaced before painting so I usually just do not do any.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Here's an interesting one: http://www.michaelbach.de/ot/mot_ske/index.html[/quote]
That is some SWEET action!!! I wonder how much that kind of design would cost.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
Michael in Fresno
"Do you spend time with your family? Good. Because a man that doesn't spend time with his family can never be a real man" V. Corleone
Quote Reply

Prev Next