Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

"boot camp" circuit training and other painful, er i mean, ways to cross train
Quote | Reply
so, this morning i did my first "boot camp" class at Terry Bryan's Training Center here in Cincy. I foolishly walked in thinking, "piece of cake. i've been on my bike all spring and summer, i'm good to go". within 20 minutes i was drenched with sweat and shaking like a leaf. after the class was over i felt as though i could barf.

basically, boot camp is no impact circuit training complete with a coach, and about 20 stations laid out to be completed one after the other. it targets the entire body plus cardio system.

certainly this class, as well as weight training will make my body change--which it needs to do--and make for a better body composition. but outside of that, i don't know what it will do for tri.

i've been getting back into weights, and started this class so that i can loose body fat, mix things up, and become stronger, fitter, and have a much improved weight to power ratio. also, i've quit drinking and have overhauled my nutrition.

so, know that you know what my goals are, is this a good way to go about it?

what do you think boot camp and weights will do for tri?

many thanks,

Kitty
Quote Reply
Re: "boot camp" circuit training and other painful, er i mean, ways to cross train [kittycat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
<<within 20 minutes i was drenched with sweat and shaking like a leaf. >>

I know the feeling, but I only last 2-3 minutes before I orgasm.
Quote Reply
Re: "boot camp" circuit training and other painful, er i mean, ways to cross train [pluto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pluto! i'm not talking about you shooting your wad, i'm talking about a workout! :P
Last edited by: kittycat: Sep 2, 06 12:00
Quote Reply
Re: "boot camp" circuit training and other painful, er i mean, ways to cross train [kittycat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you combine the workout you described with a structured triathlon training program I can only see that it will benefit you. Specificity is important, but overall strength is helpful in injury prevention and work at high performance levels.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can also shoot your wad. You must try this online game - it is incredible:

http://www.freegameaddict.com/shootyourwadgame928.html
Quote Reply
Re: "boot camp" circuit training and other painful, er i mean, ways to cross train [pluto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i know some people are in the "stay with tri training only" camp, but i find it hard to change my body with just run, swim, and bike. since i'm aiming for my first IM next year, i need to work now on getting this body ready for that challenge.

weights and circuit training really do it for me--i can drop fat and become much more dense and strong. that doesn't seem to be the typical viewpoint or result for most people on this site though. just further proof that i'm the oddball out. LOL.

pluto, do you need laid or something? hehehehe (DON'T ANSWER THAT!)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Honestly Kitty, if an IM is your goal - Terry Bryan's place is NOT the way to go. I'd love to see him in a bike sprint though :) Would NOT be fun to see him after mile 120 ... Yes, they know what "cardio" training is, but have no idea about IM/endurance training as this is a completely different animal. Nothing wrong with some weights (I do in the off season) though. Overhaulin' your nutrition was likely needed - now I suggest just biking your ass off while the weather is nice. Then run the rest off this winter followed by some good swim training. Road race in the spring (very few females do this - you certainly have Ann to ask all about this), then run again after that. You will be ready.

Remember though, you HAVE to make a committment to yourself and stick to it no matter what if that is really what you want to do. I think you have so many crazy ass friends that are fast in several aspects (some tri, some run, some bike, etc.) that I worry you are trying to please them. Don't! We love you just the way you are, seriously!

Last edited by: rroof: Sep 2, 06 13:16
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did some training like this over the winter and into this last spring. I found it very good for training some trouble areas that swim/bike/run did not get, like my core stability muscles.

I was training for IMC this season and stopped doing these boot camp type of work outs at the end of my Base phase. Compaired to last season I was injury free this year and feel that this cross training helped.

I used to hold back a bit during cross training classes, I found it very easy to hold a very high Heart Rate during them and subsequently impacted some of my long/slow workouts and since IMC was my goal I needed to be mindful during this classes.

An other "fun" way to push your self is get into Cyclocross races. I found that at the start of last cross season even though I could ride a 100 miles no problem, I got my butt kicked in shorter distances at high intensity like cross races. Going all out for about 45mins and then going for a run right after the race was brutal, hell of a brick workout.
Quote Reply
Re: "boot camp" circuit training and other painful, er i mean, ways to cross train [rroof] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks everyone for feedback.

yes, i do have some fast friends--but i just want to do my own journey, not really try to do other's plans. if that makes sense.

Terry did get a mtb, by the way. it's fully custom (as it would have to be) Ti. He keeps breaking the peddles. :)

hey, i can hang my whole body on his arm and he can walk around with me just hanging there, it's hilarious. he's crazy strong.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
i know some people are in the "stay with tri training only" camp, but i find it hard to change my body with just run, swim, and bike. since i'm aiming for my first IM next year, i need to work now on getting this body ready for that challenge.

weights and circuit training really do it for me--i can drop fat and become much more dense and strong. that doesn't seem to be the typical viewpoint or result for most people on this site though. just further proof that i'm the oddball out. LOL.

pluto, do you need laid or something? hehehehe (DON'T ANSWER THAT!)

"Just"??????????

Either you aren't doing enough of it, or you are eating/drinking too much. Try not taking in any calories on rides and runs <2 hours. And then afterward don't eat any more than you would have if you hadn't worked out (in other words, no "extra" meal). Stack up 12 hours per week of that (2 hrs x 6 days) and you'll change aplenty.

Too f@ckin depressed from various injuries to care about having a signature line.

Sponsored by Blue Shield PPO.
Quote Reply
Re: "boot camp" circuit training and other painful, er i mean, ways to cross train [Aztec] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
well, lord knows i was drinking alot. lol!!! that's changed, and my body already sees the benefits of that. so yeah, i agree, but i want to make changes now. i'm 31 years old, and know from past experience that weights equate to fast changes for my body. so that's why i'm going it. plus it's fun to be strong!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can't believe that I am about to write this. But here it goes. If someone needs something other than triathlon to help them get into shape or get into better overall physical condition, I see no harm done. Especially in the off season. Now if you were to do this during your heavy training for an IM or in season then I think you would find that it could detract from your ability to recover and/or/plus do the specific work needed for triathlon. If triathlon is a goal and something you do to have fun, stay fit, meet nice people, help you enjoy life and you are not consumed by going fast/getting faster than do it. After all there is more to fitness than just S/B/R, I think.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Last edited by: desert dude: Sep 2, 06 20:48
Quote Reply
Re: "boot camp" circuit training and other painful, er i mean, ways to cross train [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GASP!

Kurt

http://www.pbmcoaching.com
USA Triathlon Level 3 Elite Coach
USA Cycling Level 1 Elite Coach

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How much did you pay for that? I know some guys who will have you dripping with sweat and shaking like a leaf as soon as you see them, and it's free. They might say a few obscenities and call you some hurtful names, but it will be the "real deal" and for free.
Quote Reply