Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

"Wings" on brake shoes hitting carbon on 404's.
Quote | Reply
I'm putting on some 404's for the first time and having a major issue. The little "wings" that jut off the bottom of the brake shoes are hitting the carbon where it bulges out just below the rim. I've never had this problem before, but looking at other racing wheels I have used, (Hed Jet, Hed3) the Zipp is the only one where the carbon fairing juts outward to be wider than it is at the rim. Anyone else have this problem? Any solution? I've tried two different sets (one Ultegra, one DA) and different ways of spacing it with washers, etc, but no luck. And what are those wings there for anyway?

For the time being I pulled some 20-year SunTour brake shoes I have on an old bike sitting on the trainer - the "wing" pieces on those come off separately, so I pulled them off, but they are shot and are just a temporary stopgap.
Quote Reply
Re: "Wings" on brake shoes hitting carbon on 404's. [skid777] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The wings are designed for fast wheel changes during a race. They essential funnel the tire between the pads when you are slamming the wheel in there quickly.

I thought that they flared out quickly enough to avoid a bulged rim like the 404. The only think I can think of is to take a Dremel tool with a cutting wheel and just cut off the wing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe some new pads so the caliper is positioned further away from the rim.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If it is just the little black nub on the tire guides, they will unscrew from DA and Ultegra brakes. Alternatively, there are other pad / holder combos out there which do not have the tire guides, like Aztecs or Corima for carbon rims.

That said, I've never seen that problem before.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: "Wings" on brake shoes hitting carbon on 404's. [Todder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sounds like the ultimate weight weenie project as well!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Had that problem with my old Litespeed. Ultegra ( I have no clue about compnants0 or how to spell that. I took the brake shoe including pad and flipped it over, so the wing thing was facing up. New brake pads came with the new bike, so no problem now.