Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
"Who will wear the Jersey?" Anyone?
Quote | Reply
So anyone know what thsi is all about? Posted today via facebook Ironman page. "Who will wear the jersey? What garbage if they are starting a "yellow Jersey" type tradition.
Quote Reply
Re: "Who will wear the Jersey?" Anyone? [P3whitelighting] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why is it garbage? Only cycling is allowed to do this?

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Imagine if they spent this much effort PROMOTING the sport, getting events broadcast live and really building a fan base instead of copying and doing something kitschy
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lance will.

Err...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't know very much about it, just the bit that explained when they asked if they could use my picture.

I think the idea is that triathlon - and Ironman - deserves to have it's own sort of "championship signature." Right now, athletes - myself included - use the rainbow stripes, but really, that's just taken from cycling. Neither running nor swimming uses them. But like the rainbow stripes, or the maillot jaune, or the maglia rosa, or (I would add the vuelta, but they just changed from golden to red)... I think it's a nice tradition.

So rather than "borrowing" from another sport, they are going to make their own.

That's all I know. Actually, what I know is just that there are going to be "champions jerseys" as part of a new honoring of the person who wins in Kona (not sure about Vegas). The rest is my own extrapolation from that conversation with WTC.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: "Who will wear the Jersey?" Anyone? [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rappstar wrote:
I don't know very much about it, just the bit that explained when they asked if they could use my picture.

I think the idea is that triathlon - and Ironman - deserves to have it's own sort of "championship signature." Right now, athletes - myself included - use the rainbow stripes, but really, that's just taken from cycling. Neither running nor swimming uses them. But like the rainbow stripes, or the maillot jaune, or the maglia rosa, or (I would add the vuelta, but they just changed from golden to red)... I think it's a nice tradition.

So rather than "borrowing" from another sport, they are going to make their own.

That's all I know. Actually, what I know is just that there are going to be "champions jerseys" as part of a new honoring of the person who wins in Kona (not sure about Vegas). The rest is my own extrapolation from that conversation with WTC.

I guess a question for later will be does the person who wins get to wear it to all of their events? Or are they supposed to wear it the next year at Kona. I ask because this will likely be Crowie's last attempt at Kona so if he wins and the person is supposed to wear it the next year at Kona then that will be a bit of a fail.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Right now, athletes - myself included - use the rainbow stripes, but really, that's just taken from cycling.

Curious as to your decision making on this. You certainly earned the right to be recognized in some way, so was it "Crowie and others did the rainbow thing, I will too?"

What if Crowie and others decided triathlons version of the rainbow stripes, was a hot pink band, would you have done that? What if no one had ever tried to call out a WC in tri, would you have tried to do something to recognize/honor yourself?

Not a criticism at all, just curious as to this "tradition", in quotes because as you said, it's really cycling tradition.

Portside Athletics Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rappstar wrote:

If cycling already uses a champions jersey, like for example what they do at the TdF, how is using a jersey to signify a past champion not borrowing???

Me thinks they are trying too hard
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think it is a good idea. I would not care what they choose to wear to show they have won an Ironman. I would like to see people have something that younger people/kids could see an say " I want one of those someday"
Quote Reply
Re: "Who will wear the Jersey?" Anyone? [dennis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
x2

Can we stop criticizing every WTC move just because they are the overlords of the sport? They don't screw EVERYTHING up guys.

Sounds like a nice little thing. Let former race winners and champs have special recognition. Who gives a rip if they pilfered a good idea from cycling.
Quote Reply
Re: "Who will wear the Jersey?" Anyone? [kkoole] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wasn't there a leaders Red Jersey for the Coke Grand Prix series in the 1980's?

"one eye doubles my eyesight, so things don't look half bad" John Hiatt
Quote Reply
Re: "Who will wear the Jersey?" Anyone? [Maui5150] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maui5150 wrote:
Rappstar wrote:

If cycling already uses a champions jersey, like for example what they do at the TdF, how is using a jersey to signify a past champion not borrowing???

Me thinks they are trying too hard

So every sport that awards trophies and rings are essentially borrowing from the first sports to have done this. I can't believe they try so hard! Seriously people need to not over analyze everything. It may be cool and fun or it may suck. Can we just not let it happen and then react.
Quote Reply
Re: "Who will wear the Jersey?" Anyone? [SwBkRn44] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SwBkRn44 wrote:
Right now, athletes - myself included - use the rainbow stripes, but really, that's just taken from cycling.

Curious as to your decision making on this. You certainly earned the right to be recognized in some way, so was it "Crowie and others did the rainbow thing, I will too?"

What if Crowie and others decided triathlons version of the rainbow stripes, was a hot pink band, would you have done that? What if no one had ever tried to call out a WC in tri, would you have tried to do something to recognize/honor yourself?

Not a criticism at all, just curious as to this "tradition", in quotes because as you said, it's really cycling tradition.

Basically, I just did what other athletes I know do/did - Michellie, Crowie, Javier, Conrad, and a bunch of others. (Some do nothing - Faris, Macca, Normann, Reid; at least, nothing that I recognize.) But certainly, the "tradition" seemed to be that if you were going to do something, do rainbow stripes. If the de facto tradition was a hot pink band, I would have done that. If the de facto tradition was to do nothing, I would have done that.

Certainly it's not a universal tradition, but enough athletes that I respect have done something that I thought it at least wasn't out of line or odd. And I was/am proud of what I achieved, so given that there was a precedence for doing something - even if it was just borrowed from cycling - I wanted to do that.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: "Who will wear the Jersey?" Anyone? [tucktri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Many trophies, etc are either unique or very stylized to the sport.

But to have a jersey that signifies a past champion and not say that it is borrowed when many series of one component of the race do the exact same thing.

I would be calling the same crap if the US Pro Championship for golf handed out a "Blue" jacket and instead of the Green Jacket from the Masters.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maui5150 wrote:

But to have a jersey that signifies a past champion and not say that it is borrowed when many series of one component of the race do the exact same thing.

I would be calling the same crap if the US Pro Championship for golf handed out a "Blue" jacket and instead of the Green Jacket from the Masters.

x1
.........and have you seen that butt ugly tartan jacket they give to the winner of the PGA Heritage classic each year ?

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>X
If you run long enough....something is bound to happen
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Most cyclists find the use of rainbow stripes in triathlon quite amusing.

But then again, the UCI is slapping it on just about anyone who wants it as well these days.

Quote | Reply
Can't say that I have.

I watch very little golf, if at all. It is one thing to spoil a long walk carrying a heavy bag and swinging clubs, but like baseball, to me golf just gets in the way of drinking and decent conversation
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
will there be literally a jersey ?

I mean,, I can understand in cycling that jerseys are standardised, so then a shirt is a shirt, but triathletes wear all sort of shapes and types of shirt and suits and have personal material choices,

what about a fluro yellow race number ? both bib bike and helmet, with golden ironman logo with black outline stickers for helmet and bike number ..and any promo stuff ...

that way it wont get in the way of sponsors stuff either, just add
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rappstar wrote:

Wasn't Mark Allen one of the first if not the first to "borrow" the rainbow stripes? I think the bike jersey he wore at he 89 Ironman had the stripes, he had just won the World Champs in France earlier that summer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think it should be a tatoo of the Ironman logo. Err, ......
Quote Reply
Re: "Who will wear the Jersey?" Anyone? [lacticturkey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lacticturkey wrote:
will there be literally a jersey ?

I mean,, I can understand in cycling that jerseys are standardised, so then a shirt is a shirt, but triathletes wear all sort of shapes and types of shirt and suits and have personal material choices,

what about a fluro yellow race number ? both bib bike and helmet, with golden ironman logo with black outline stickers for helmet and bike number ..and any promo stuff ...

that way it wont get in the way of sponsors stuff either, just add

Call me skeptical, but I'm guessing that this "honor" will contain the obligation to wear this jersey (complete with IM sponsors' logos) at all WTC events for the next year. This is not dissimilar to what the TdF does (you wear a yellow jersey from the TdF's clothing supplier, and with their sponsors...there's a square in the front center for your sponsors), but it only lasts during the race.
Me thinks WTC is looking to add value to their sponsors/brand at the expense of the athlete's own sponsorship. The question is if the prestige of the jersey will make the athlete increasingly attractive to sponsors to offset this loss.

World Championship jerseys are quite different in that the winner designs the jersey and it is done with their clothing sponsor and team sponsors (i.e. no hijacking space on the rider's kit).

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: "Who will wear the Jersey?" Anyone? [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Come on guys......just another marketing move for WTC. Do you know what kind of sponsorship moolah they can get for a company to sponsor or have their decals splattered on that champions jersey?

Some day everyone around here will get it. WTC makes no moves unless it is to somehow increase the bottom line. That's what PE firms do. They are not in the hospitality business for a reason.
Quote Reply
Re: "Who will wear the Jersey?" Anyone? [Trifecta] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A triathlete wearing rainbow stripes or a Yellow jersey makes no sense to me. Why not buy a Green Sports jacket, put on some Olympic rings, or get a World Triathlon Belt Buckle about the size of a dinner plate? Rainbow stripes and their protocol are a UCI designation just as Olympic rings, Green Sportcoats,Yellow jerseys and huge belts are associated with the Olympics, the Masters Golf, Le Tour, and pro boxing/wrasselin. I have wanted rainbow stripes almost as long as I thought I could play in the NFL, or hit a 100 mph fastball, but unless some guys in my age groups get a whole lot slower I probably won't ever get to wear them. Oh well.

If the Triathlon federation wants to do some award or clothing as a world championship, I have no problems with that at all. Just don't steal one from some other sport. The Unoffical Single Speed Cyclocross World Champion has to get the tattoo or brand burned on or they can't get the title, or be invited back. Now that is a sport.
Last edited by: G-man: Aug 30, 12 11:15
Quote Reply
Re: "Who will wear the Jersey?" Anyone? [G-man] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
G-man wrote:
A triathlete wearing rainbow stripes or a Yellow jersey makes no sense to me. Why not buy a Green Sports jacket, put on some Olympic rings, or get a World Triathlon Belt Buckle about the size of a dinner plate? Rainbow stripes and their protocol are a UCI designation just as Olympic rings, Green Sportcoats,Yellow jerseys and huge belts are associated with the Olympics, the Masters Golf, Le Tour, and pro boxing/wrasselin. I have wanted rainbow stripes almost as long as I thought I could play in the NFL, or hit a 100 mph fastball, but unless some guys in my age groups get a whole lot slower I probably won't ever get to wear them. Oh well.

If the Triathlon federation wants to do some award or clothing as a world championship, I have no problems with that at all. Just don't steal one from some other sport. The Unoffical Single Speed Cyclocross World Champion has to get the tattoo or brand burned on or they can't get the title, or be invited back. Now that is a sport.

We need something unique and triathlon-specific. How 'bout world champion compression socks.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maui5150 wrote:

Ok, give UCI a call and tell them to stop allowing aero bars because those were "stolen" from triathlon.

Quote Reply

Prev Next