Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

"What it takes" feat. Reid, Bowden, Bell, Fuhr (movie)
Quote | Reply
Pretty cool movie/documentary coming soon. Found the preview here (http://www.peterreid.com/what_it_takes.htm) and thought ST would be interested:

------------------------------------------------------------
Searching for the bliss of ultimate exertion.
Last edited by: callidus: Oct 4, 05 1:31
Quote Reply
Re: "What it takes" feat. Reid, Bowden, Bell, Fuhr (movie) [callidus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Very cool. Unfortunately we won't be able to see it in Europe I guess.
Quote Reply
Re: "What it takes" feat. Reid, Bowden, Bell, Fuhr (movie) [Diabolo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe on DVD??

Quote Reply
Re: "What it takes" feat. Reid, Bowden, Bell, Fuhr (movie) [callidus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Should have read everything :-))
Quote Reply
140 POINT 6 - the Movie [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And available now (showing in NYC tonight):

"140.6 miles, the distance that Ironman Triathletes must complete by swimming 2.4 miles, biking 112 miles and running 26.2 miles, all within 17 hours. This film takes an intimate look at the lives of the inspirational, and examines why triathletes choose to compete in such a physically demanding event."

http://www.140point6.com/

--------------------------------------

http://www.whydoesgodhateamputees.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No Nina? No Natasha?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
looking forward to it.

------------------------------------------------------------------
"The aspect of sport that you learn is that you have your good times and your bad times, but you share it with great people." - George Gregan

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"In many ways, they're normal people ..."

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hang on...but I am 99% sure that Erin Baker had broken sub 3 in an ironman marathon long before Lori Bowden. If I recall, she ran 2:48 one year at Ironman Canada, albeit on a 1 mile short course.

Dev
Quote Reply
Re: "What it takes" feat. Reid, Bowden, Bell, Fuhr (movie) [devashish paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DP! Alzheimers is setting in! The short marathon year in Penticton was the year Bustos ran about 2:36. The year Erin ran 2:49+ was legit. The sub- 3-hour marathon they are referring to in the movie/documentary is the Kona marathon. Lori is the only woman to do it there and may be the only woman who ever will. Cheers, Skid.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wasn't Lori pregnant for 9 months of the filming ? Not sure what they will show there.
Quote Reply
Re: "What it takes" feat. Reid, Bowden, Bell, Fuhr (movie) [Blacky] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, that's what I thought! Will be interesting to see what they actually end up showing.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I talked to the guys who are making "What it Takes" and they're planning to distribute in North America, Europe, Australia and Asia, but there are no set release dates as of yet.

The site for the movie is http://www.witmovie.com
Last edited by: pranic: Oct 5, 05 14:47
Quote Reply
Re: "What it takes" feat. Reid, Bowden, Bell, Fuhr (movie) [skid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Skid, sorry. 1991 was the fast year where all the dudes ran 6-7 min fast on a 1 mile short course. I think Erin ran 2:48 on that one which would still make it an insane 2:55 ish day.

So Erin Baker ran 2:49 on the LEGIT 1992 course at IMC. Has any other woman even approached that insane run speed.

Finally Skid, is she still running up a storm?

Slowman, if you are reading, it would be great to do an interview of Erin Baker on slowtwitch. This type of athlete no longer exists. Someone who was fast at short and long course and had the race face on regardless of what event it was. She came to win every race, no softpedalling in "B" races like people do today.

Dev
Quote Reply
Re: "What it takes" feat. Reid, Bowden, Bell, Fuhr (movie) [devashish paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
well, the course was also probably short, but fuhr cooked up something stupid like a 2:51 at austria one year. i think reid did a 2:38 at the same race?

-mike

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm looking forward to seeing that. big fun.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sure this athlete exists today:

Michellie Jones for the women- last time I checked she was the silver medalist in the 2000 Olympics, and recently beat all women and men at the half-IM distance. She's also won an ironman and did very well at Honu HIM.

Macca while transitioning up to IM distance was still real competitive with the ITU gang; I watched him at the Treasure Island ITU in 2003 and he was a stud, doing all of the work to bridge the gap up to the lead bike group. His IM (non-Hawaii) record speaks for itself.

There just not be as many of these types of athletes, but they do exist.
Quote Reply
Re: "What it takes" feat. Reid, Bowden, Bell, Fuhr (movie) [Ironwoof] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I guess right now you would have to include Kate Allen in the 'all-rounder' category. Athens olympic gold medallist and multiple winner at IM Austria. She has also run a 2:51 mar in winning there.

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy- Sir Isaac Newton.
Quote Reply
Re: "What it takes" feat. Reid, Bowden, Bell, Fuhr (movie) [Ironwoof] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Michelle is the closest thing for sure, but she has provided nothing yet at the Ironman distance. Closing with a 3:18 run in Florida is nowhere in the same league as Erin Baker...not even in the same time zone. Erin raced all year, northern and southern hemisphere like each race was an "A" race whether it it was sprint, olympic, half ironman, Nice or Ironman. Mark Allen was the Erin Baker male equivalent (or vice versa) when he won something like 22 straight in 88-90 including the ITU World's and Hawaii in 89. There is no one who can put together the short course speed and performance at Kona like these two could.

I am REALLY hoping that Simon Lessing, Macca or Michellie Jones can show us that there still exist studs at short course who can move up and win Hawaii. That would be awesome. Funny thing is that Simon Lessing and Michelle Jones both won Muskoka ITU World's in 1992 and they both ran 3:18 in their last Ironman...although we have seen Simon run 2:47 in Placid !
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have updated PeterReid.com with a better quality Windows Media Video version of the "WHAT IT TAKES" movie trailer. View here http://www.peterreid.com/what_it_takes.htm
For more info on the movie: www.WITMOVIE.com

Webguy
PeterReid.com

Shawn Skene
Quote Reply
Re: "What it takes" feat. Reid, Bowden, Bell, Fuhr (movie) [Shawn_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the info.

Quote Reply