Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

"What It Takes" from Metro Detoit to Lake Placid
Quote | Reply
Okay, I’m going try something different here. Over the past year or two, I’ve loved reading race reports and have learned lots from them but the other thing I wondered was what kind of training was involved for all these people to write these great reports. What follows is what I did to get to the finish line at IM Lake Placid living in Metro Detroit….and a little sprinkle of how my race went at the end.

[/url][/img]

Physical Stats:
29 yrs, 5’9” race weight 155lbs.

Athletic Background:
High School Swimming

Non-triathlon related Commitments:
Wife and house, baby on the way (Weekday training goal: Done training by 8pm)
Career 7am-4pm Monday – Friday

How I picked Lake Placid
Location – 10 hours from Detroit make LP drivable
Course – Tough with all the climbing but it suits my body type.
Race Date – AZ too early(winter training), IMOO too late(burnout)

Ironman Ramp Up
2004 - 1st triathlon(Xterra), 1st ˝ marathon
2005 – Road tris (sprint, oly), ˝ marathon
2006 – Road tris (oly, 1/2IM), 1st marathon
2007 – DeSoto TTT, IMLP

Training
Self-coached. Friel/Byrn and Mark Allen training philosophies.
30 weeks of roughly 6 training cycles consisting of 3 build weeks, followed by a recovery week. 95% of my training hours were spent at Friel Z2 (150bpm). “Speed work is icing on the cake and you don’t have any cake”. I didn’t do any speed work. In 2006, I became a slave to standard running/biking routes and miles. I started fresh in 2007 and always trained by time and HR for effort. I trained 90% of the time alone; with the occasional group ride when I needed a mental break. I had a slow build peaking

[/url][/img]

*Week 15 – foot injury
**Week 20-21 - Vegas Trip/TTT Taper
***WeeK 22 - TTT Recovery
****Week 27-29 - IronTaper

Inside the Numbers
Rough Training Breakdown by Discipline
Swim: 10% (strength – 1x per week)
Bike: 50% (weakness – 3-4x per week)
Run: 30% (mediocre – 3x per week)
Gym: 10% (1x per week, core and swim muscles)

Longest 3 bike rides (Saturdays): 5hr, 6hr, 5hr
Longest 3 runs (Wednesdays): 1:45, 2:00, 2:30
Longest Brick (tied to Saturday rides): 6hrB, 1hrR

The hardest things I’ve done (in order)
Ironman Lake Placid
BQ Marathon Time
DeSoto TTT

[/url][/img]

My Keys to Success
Follow 10% build rule when increasing volume. I’ve really screwed this up in the past and paid the price.
Post-run ice bath any time the mercury was higher than 90.
Improved body composition and serious core strength.
Lots of stretching and proper recover food.
Daily multi vitamin, zine, Vit C and glucosimine.

Adding weight
There’s only so much you can do to make your bike lighter for race day, but there’s lots you can do to make it heavier in training. This must go back to my HS swim days of wearing drag suits but I filled a water bottle with 7lbs. of lag bolts and sand and had it along on every training ride. I felt feather light on race day.

Bike Routes
I used routeslip.com to discover where people ride in the Metro Detroit area. I have several routes mapped and saved now. User name: mitri2.

Taper
I went with a three week taper, reducing volume by 25%, 50%, 75% of max weekly volume. The first week was still a big week at 15hrs, but it felt fine. The second week was terrible. I had a ton of mysterious pains all over, had no energy and got crabby because of it. The last week of taper was better, I started feeling a little more fresh although I think I still had a little residual fatigue. That last couple days leading up to the race were tough. Lots of anxiety and tons of free time with nothing to do but wait.

Race Report
The swim was brutal. I started in the third row, maybe 20 yards off the dock/guide line. Pretty much even split the swim but the first lap was especially congested. Guesstimate 1hr, I came out just under. HR about 5bpm higher than when training.

[/url][/img]

I trained with all course supplied nutrition. I carried minimal extra with me. Gatorade, PowerBars and PowerGels had me getting in just over 400/cal per hour. Fell behind a bit on the run but a couple gels, watermellon and Coke got me to the finish line.

The bike course was gorgeous. The elevation profile didn’t phase me on the first lap. Lots of bikes around, riding legally was very challenging and the draft marshals recognized that and I witness lots of verbal warnings. The bikers had spaced out a bit by the second lap. I was effected by the climbs a little more but just kept spinning away and taking in calories. My guess for a bike spilt was 6hrs or so and I came in around 5:45. I positive split the second lap by about 20 minutes. HR mimicked training except for some spikes on the climb out of LP and again coming back in.

[/url][/img]

Again amazing scenery and crowds on the run course. Ran about 6 miles straight before I started walking aid stations. The run a mile, walk an aid station was a very effective strategy. The last 4 miles of each lap were the most brutal hills I’ve ever run. Long, steep, grinding climbs. No event (even the TTT) or anything I did in training had prepared me for this nasty little feature. My guess here was 4-5 hrs depending on how my day was going. Ended up going around 3:40. I positive split my ˝ by only 5minutes! Again HR mimicked training except for the killer hills!

[/url][/img]

Final Thoughts
My goals were to finish, break 12 and one I never verbalized was under 11. I had an unimaginable day out there, crossing the line at 10:39. It was by far the hardest thing I've ever attempted. Avg HR for the day was 152, so I raced exactly how I trained...but some serious muscle fatigue set in during the marathon. Needless to say I'm still avoiding stairs.

A Thought on KONA:
Sick. I’ve only dreamed of having a Kona qualifying day but as I crossed the line I though…well, maybe that will be fast enough. Not even close! Fast enough for 13th in an AG with only 4 slots. These guys that are racing in Kona are crazy fast!

What’s Next?
My wife is due with our fist in November so lots of things are going to change. I’m gonna work on being the best dad and husband ever…anyone know if there is a “Slowtwitch” for expecting fathers? I do have plans to run Boston in April and if time permits I’m eyeing Steelhead next August.

There is a lot of M-dot and NA Sports trash talk around here but I give them the thumbs up. The organization of the event was top notch and although it was my first, it hopefully won’t be the last. Oh, I won’t be getting an M-Dot tattoo, but I do have some pretty sweet finisher merchandise that I will definitely wear with pride!

Hope to see you at the races!
Corey
Quote Reply
Re: "What It Takes" from Metro Detoit to Lake Placid [MI TRI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Congrats on what sounds like a perfectly executed day! Way to get it done!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AWESOME job for your first IM, and a fantastic RR as well.

Thx for sharing, and CONGRATS again!!!
-M

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think that's the longest race report I've ever read. Did you work today?? :) I was going to post your results but thought you might want to do it yourself instead.

I have only one word:

D U U U U U U U D E ! ! !

Great job!

king of the road says you move too slow
KING OF THE ROAD SAYS YOU MOVE TOO SLOW
Last edited by: sc3826: Jul 24, 07 19:32
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Awww man, over two years on ST and I still can't post a damn picture right!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Awesome job,, great report!
congrats from across the river ...

http://j-motrilife.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great race and report!

You should be pumped with that result at a tough course.
Good tip with the extra weight for bike training, I think I will put that into play for my training.

I'm looking forward to my first IM at LP next year.
Congrats on the great race.
Andrew

C'mon legs run faster!
Being fast on a crappy bike is cool
Fueled by Guinness, Tuborg, Anchor Steam and Creemore Springs
Quote Reply
Re: "What It Takes" from Metro Detoit to Lake Placid [slammer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Awesome race report. Great job on your race! I'm getting ready for IMF, my first Ironman. I'm trying to gauge if I'm doing the right amount of training at this point. I see you went all by time, but do you know the mileage you were doing on your bike on your long rides? How many centuries or more you did? What was your longest run and longest swim? Thanks for any help.
Quote Reply
Re: "What It Takes" from Metro Detoit to Lake Placid [psuambassador] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
While training by time, I'd be able to see how many miles I got at the end...but that was always secondary. My thought was riding 100miles in MI would not be equivalent to riding 100mile in the Adirondacks. 6 hours in the saddle at a given HR on the other hand = 6 hours in the saddle. I got in two 5 hour rides (roughly 95miles) and one 6 hour ride (115 miles).

Longest run was 2:30 (about 18 miles). Longest swim was 90min with big sets of 500s.

Good luck on your build up to IMF!

Race how you train!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great job on both the race, and the race report. For people thinking about doing an Ironman, your report will be a big help. The format you chose provides a lot of useful, guiding information. I'm printing this one out and putting it in my "binder o' knowledge", a three-ring binder I keep all sorts of nutritional, training, and motivational articles in. It'll be useful when I sign up for my next IM (Wisconsin 08 maybe?).

Many congrats, and many thanks.

mm
Quote Reply
Re: "What It Takes" from Metro Detoit to Lake Placid [slammer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Make sure to get a big beefy MTB cage to hold all that weight. Also, if possible, carrying it on your down tube and not your seat tube is a better idea. (it's a physics/vectors thing). I went through a couple of cages before I got it right.

Warning: I'm sure a bike frame manufacture would not recommend "adding weight" in this manner and and would it would probably negate any sort of warranty.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
great report!! What kind of weekly hours were you putting in????
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I really liked your race report/race break down. Congrats on exceding your goals! Best of luck with the new baby. Now, you gotta go check out Erika's lids tri clothes at www.tribabe.com and get one of those Swim Daddy Swim, etc. shirts for the wee one...
-Danielle
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So what kind of weight lifting did you do to strengthen your arms for swimming?

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Re: "What It Takes" from Metro Detoit to Lake Placid [zerobars] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The thumbnail sized chart says it all doesn't it? jk

My final build looked like this:

wk 23 - 14 hrs
wk 24 - 16 hrs
25-18

26-22
27-15
28-10
29-5
30-race
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Man, stellar. You planned your race and raced your plan. Very well done. Great report too. A lot of valuable insights and information for all of us and in a succint format too. Excellent.

Thank you for posting this. Especially on a day when bad news from the Tour de France has been overshadowing the forum this really is a valuable contribution.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: "What It Takes" from Metro Detoit to Lake Placid [DavHamm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When I swim certain muscles get tired. I did exercises that simulated the same fatigue. Low weights and high reps, usually in and out in 45 minutes.

pull ups and lat pull down
dips and curls
shoulder press and flys
lots of core work (lower back and abs)

My swim background allowed me to swim once a week and "lift weights" once a week. Although, after the beating I took during the swim, I probably could have used a little more time in the pool.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is a really fantastic report with great insight. Thanks for posting it! And of course, congratulations on an amazing finish!
Quote Reply