Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
"What Are Kidney Stones?" Tim DeBoom, Kona, 2003
Quote | Reply
  When I flew to Kona in 2001 it was just 19 days after the 9/11 World Trade Center tragedy in New York. There were less than 30 passengers in our plane designed to carry 150. Everyone was nervous. And, as hard as this may be to believe, there were a number of no shows for the race. Tim DeBoom gave the American triathlon world a big boost of national pride by wresting the Ironman Triathlon World Championship from Peter Reid. He repeated in 2002.

DeBoom had had a good 2003 and was the Hawaii pre-race favorite going in. Living up to his pre-race hype, Tim was 4th out of the water on race day. He had an even better bike and departed T2 firmly in second place. With 2:45 IM marathon speed it looked as if championship #3 was just over the horizon...or, just up the Queen "K" Highway as the locals might say.

Tim began to have trouble in the mid third of the run. By mile 12 he'd consulted with the roving medical van about back pain. Within two miles he was walking, weaving and dizzy. As the medical team approached, he passed out and was quickly carried into the medical vehicle. He passed in and out of consciousness as they made their way back to the pier and race medical facilities. Later, after a good bit of testing, he was diagnosed as having passed a kidney stone during the run.

A kidney stone is exactly that, a crystalline "rock" in the kidney or ureter (tube connecting kidney and bladder.) They form when the urine has an excess of certain metabolic by products which can crystallize and become a stone. These stones come in all sizes from microscopic to as big as a marble. People liken the pain that they generate to that of childbirth...only worse! And, unfortunately, if you've ever had a stone you're relatively likely to have another. Actually, they're pretty common. The reason that this is especially important to triathletes is that a major precipitating factor is dehydration.

As shown by Tim DeBoom, the presenting symptom is usually pain, and lots of it. It's often felt in the low back and groin, and in male triathletes, the testicles. They can color the urine, even give it a bloody appearance on occasion. In addition to testing the urine, diagnosis can be aided by a good history and physical exam. Occasionally an abdominal x-ray will reveal the stone, but frequently a more involved study is required.

Treatment is initially pain based from anti-inflammatory drugs and oral narcotics all the way to hospital admission. We usually strain the urine to try and catch the stone, first for analysis and later for patient counselling and treatment. Those stones that don't spontaneously pass may require some type of surgical procedure. As noted above, if you've had one, you're at risk for another. One of the best things you can do is to stay well hydrated. Ever heard that before?

Please share your experiences with us.

John

John H. Post, III, MD
Orthopedic Surgeon
Charlottesville, VA
Quote Reply
Re: "What Are Kidney Stones?" Tim DeBoom, Kona, 2003 [johnpostmd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've had two. The first one was in 1995, and the second was January 2010. I passed the first stone at the hospital many hours later.

As you mentioned, the pain presented as back inflammation, but it became clear as time wore on that something far more serious was playing out. The second time around, as my lower back felt chronic pain, I knew what was coming next. I live in northern Canada, so I went to my local hospital. I was close to passing out in the ER when I was admitted and then loaded with morphine. After about four hours, I was sent home with a T3 prescription. I was scheduled to fly to Vancouver in two days and the pain was still present when I departed. I landed in Vancouver on a Wednesday night and checked into the hospital the next day at noon. I was seen quickly by the attending ER doc. She knew I was passing blood, so I was sent for a CT scan. The scan determined that I had a 5mm stone, so the plumber was called down after his surgery. He determined that I needed to be operated on and about twelve hours later, at 3 AM, I was in the OR at which time the anesthesiologist put me under. I awoke about two hours later and checked out at 11 AM. A stent was left in as I was flying to Hawaii two days after the operation.

The cause in both cases was never determined, but the best prevention, as I have been told by all the docs, is hydration.

For those that haven't had a kidney stone, well, keep drinking water! I can not adequately describe the pain. It's beyond what most people could imagine and I wouldn't wish it upon anybody.

Jim
Quote Reply
Re: "What Are Kidney Stones?" Tim DeBoom, Kona, 2003 [johnpostmd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was doing a 24 hour moutain bike race solo.

Several hours in and I was not feeling well.

Sometime after midnight I decided to lay down. A couple hours later I tried to stadn up and I just wanted to get back on the ground quickly, so I laid down and tried to nap.

Around 6 I decided to call it a race and drive myself home.

I went to lunch with the wife and then she went to run a couple of errands.

This next part I have heard happens to everyone who gets kidney stones:

I laid down on the floor and wanted to die. I called my wife and told her to get me to the hospital.

It took 5 excruciatingly painful days to pass the stones.

The doc never told me what he thought caused the stones. But since then lemonade is a regular drink for me.
Quote Reply
Re: "What Are Kidney Stones?" Tim DeBoom, Kona, 2003 [Bumble Bee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had 1 in 1998 and it was the most painful thing I've ever experienced, and I've had 2 reconstructive knee surgeries and a reconstructed ankle so I know pain. I was sound asleep and I felt this pain in my testicles. Thought that the wife had rolled over and kneed/hit me on accident. Went into the bathroom and did some deep breathing and it passed. All the guys know what this feeling is. Went back to sleep and about 20min later it felt as if someone put my left testicle in a vise grip. I couldn't breath and wanted to throw up. Wife jumped on the phone to the Kaiser advice nurse and then rushed me to the hospital as they feared it was testicular torsion. Nope. It was a kidney stone that got stuck on my testicular nerve as it was passing. After arriving a the hospital they manipulated, to make sure it wasn't torsion, and that unstuck the stone which I passed. Only one i ever felt and they didn't find anymore when they did an MRI a few days later. I was told to drink more water to try and prevent them from recurring. So far so good as I haven't had any since.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've had four over spread over the past 20 years. Worst pain imaginable... If you've had them you learn quickly how to deal with the future possibility that you will have another - know the early warning signs and keep prescription pain meds available at all times as addressing the pain is really all you can do until the stone passes. If there's no family history of stones and you're older than 35, it's not likely you'll ever have to mess with it.

Predisposition to kidney stones also raises the issue of gout - stone producers are much more likely to have to deal with gout which, IMO, for an endurance athlete is a worse scenario than kidney stones. Yep - I drink lots of water.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
WORST PAIN EVER.

Almost 24 now but got it when I was 18 if I remember correctly (dad had a bunch of them, but not til 40's).

I remember it clear as day- up on the lifeguard stand during the summer and actually got a huge urge to go #2, as odd as it sounds. Felt like I was going to go right on the stand. Ended up going into the bathroom, but couldn't actually do anything despite the physiological feeling of having to. Soon after that I left work, and then the pain really started setting in. Got home and felt like I was being tortured. No matter which possibly positon i'd put my body in, fetal, stretched out, etc etc. the pain would simply not go away. Having such severe pain and not being able to do a damn thing about it was probably the worst experience of my life. I then proceeded to vomit about 5 times because the pain was so bad. Eventually, the pain lessened, then would come in waves as (i'm guessing) the stone was moving down the ureter. First felt dull pain in the lower back and as the stone moved, I began feeling some pain in the lower abdomen.

It was pretty easy to diagnose- went to the hospital and had blood in my urine which added to the big family history of it.

Took about 5 days if I remember for me to pass it, which sucked for a split second when it came out, but then it's like magic, you pass it and every ounce of discomfort you had completely goes away and you're back to normal. I hope to NEVER get a stone again but I'm hoping next time, if I do, I can realize it quickly enough to take some damn muscle relaxers and ride it out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I posted this a couple of years ago. Still hurts when I think about it...

Been there, got the T-shirt.

Looking back, mine was a perfectly timed disaster. I signed up and trained all winter for the FLA 70.3. 3 Sundays before the race, I went for my longest bike/transition run and felt great. I got home and told my wife I was in the best shape of my life. I felt bulletproof. 10 hours later, my wife was practically carrying me into Emerg. My BP was like 180/120 and I was in the classic "worse than child birth" sort of pain.

I was placed in emergency for the night. After a few hours of no urination activity, they suggested a catheter. At that point, I was all over it. Once it was in, they asked if I was ok. I said "That was great!" and the nurse called me a "sick puppy". Next day, the doc put in a stent and sent me on my way. He did tell me that he may have "left a string", but I had no idea what that meant at the time and really didn't care. I was going home... (Note: The string is sometimes left "hanging out" to aid the removal of the stent and means the Doctors don't have had to take a more aggressive (ouch!) method of retrieval.)

Next week was the lythotripsy. It was actually pretty cool. Google it. They took me in, showed me a lythotripsy video, checked my vitals and put me in the waiting room. After they rolled me into "surgery", they laid me on a special bed that was kind of like a thick plastic camp cot. They then filled the cot with nice warm water. Ahhh... They explained that they would hit me with the shock waves until the time was up or until I "tapped out". I asked what happens if I tap out and they said that they might not have gotten all the stones, so I may have to go thru it again in another week to blast the rest. I decided that they'd have to practically kill me for me to tap out. I received a light sedative and away we went. All I felt was a rhythmic "click" ever couple of seconds. No pain/no problem. Then after a while, the clicking started getting to me. Not hurting, just bothering me. Whatever. time goes on. Then "TAP", I tapped out. I have no idea why, but I found my breaking point. Once I tapped out, immediately I couldn't believe I did. Now I know how waterboarding works so well... They said they'd take the stent out in 3 weeks. (Due to patient backlog) Note: Still no sign of "the string".

After the lytho, I recovered for a few days and decided I needed to run. So off I go into the woods. As you will find, with the stent, you can't go more than 20 minutes without a whiz. Halfway into my run, I need to stop for a nature break. As I take care of business, I notice, making it's first appearance... "The String"!!!! Now, I'm hoping it stands by during the remainder of my run so I can tie it off to my leg or something when I get home so the doctor doesn't have to retrieve the stent by more primitive methods. (I never asked how they do it, so even now when I'm alone and it's quiet, my mind races through all the horrific potential options...) I flew back home, raced into the washroom and to my disappointment, the string was gone. It had "turtled" on me. I was heartbroken. I wasn't going to let that to happen. I needed that string. Next day, I loaded up with a piece of 10" long dental floss (Hey, I'm a guy. I figured better to have some excess than lose it again.) and off I went for another run. Halfway thru, success. There it was again. I triumphantly tied it off. As I ran home, feeling like a king, I realized the true definition of pain. You thought the kidney stone was bad? Try tying off the disappearing string with mint dental floss...

Since that day, I've never had another one. Looking back, the total recovery time was pretty short and I ended up setting my all time 5K PB 4 months after. The doctor told me that they had no idea what may have caused it. However, he did suggest that I lay off the glucosamine. Don't know why. Didn't ask.

Brad

3SIXTY5cycling.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Uh oh. You guys are scaring me.

I had blood in my urine recently so my doc sent me for an ultrasound (Dec 24) which confirmed stones in the left kidney - but my doc already knew that from an ultrasound in the spring (trying to figure out what was making me sick back then).

I've had occasional fleeting pain in my lower abs and left testicle - I've been attributing it to tight / knotted muscles since it doesn't go on for hours.

Doc's also gonna send me to a urologist - he intimated they would shove a camera up my urethra to look around. Not sure if I'm really into that without dinner and some wine.

Now I'm thinking I should request the shock wave treatment asap so I don't have to deal with pain or have them interrupt summer fun.

Or can they just stay there (forever?) without troubling me other then periodic blood in my urine?

Advocating for research & treatment for Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (ME).
http://www.meaction.net/about/what-is-me/

"Suck it up, Buttercup"
(me, to myself, every day)
Quote Reply
Re: "What Are Kidney Stones?" Tim DeBoom, Kona, 2003 [hillier99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Incredible! Simply incredible!

Thanks so much to all of you for sharing your tales. Each one sounds worse than the next. I think I'll go get a glass of water right now.

John

John H. Post, III, MD
Orthopedic Surgeon
Charlottesville, VA
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Out of curiosity - do you know how they diagnosed DeBoom's stone in 2003?

Dave
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am the atypical kidney stone sufferer - I am a women and not quite 40. I was diagnosed in late August with kidney stones, had the CT scan and found one stone just sitting there. No medical intervention was deemed necessary, my Dr. determined that it was not a health risk and to just let it do its thing. I was more worried about having problems at the Nation's Triathlon I had coming up! I suffered through 3 more months of periodic pain, chugging TONS of water and in mid December I realized that I wasn't having the pain any more, so I am assuming I've passed it. I never had the excruciating pain so many talk about (THANK GOODNESS!!). For me, it was just a nagging pain in the right side of my back, I honestly thought I had a kidney infection.

I've cut soda pretty much out of my diet and drink mainly water with straight lemon juice periodically (homeopathic remedy), so hopefully I won't have to deal with any more, but my Dr. is planning another scan during my annual physical in March just to be sure.

Helen
Last edited by: spbyhelen: Jan 2, 11 9:49
Quote Reply
Re: "What Are Kidney Stones?" Tim DeBoom, Kona, 2003 [spbyhelen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just an FYI - straight lemon juice is very bad for the enamel on your teeth, and increases your chances of tooth decay. Exercise prudence if you're drinking a lot of it.
Quote Reply
Re: "What Are Kidney Stones?" Tim DeBoom, Kona, 2003 [Azr43l] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Very true on the lemon juice. I only drink a small amount of it every couple of weeks. It's supposed to be helpful in keeping kidney stones at bay, so it's worth it for me :)
Quote Reply
Re: "What Are Kidney Stones?" Tim DeBoom, Kona, 2003 [spbyhelen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
very interesting, i've never heard of lemon juice being a remedy. i've been told about cranberry juice, keeping hydrated etc. and the regular stuff but lemon juice is definitely a new one. thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: "What Are Kidney Stones?" Tim DeBoom, Kona, 2003 [daveinmammoth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dave - no, not exactly. Two of the resources I used for the piece said this; "He was treated at the race medical tent and after extensive testing and urine analysis, it was determined that he had passed a kidney stone while running the marathon." (Sotox Sports Management Company)

And, I did the race in both 2003 and 2004, and I still have the official 2004 program. The only mention I could find of the odd 2003 race outcome was, captioning a picture of Reid passing DeBoom, "As far as Peter Reid is concerned, Tim DeBoom is still the Ironman champion based on his 2002 win. 'Tim didn't get a chance to defend his title last year because of physical problems', explains Reid.....believe it or not he was passing a kidney stone." ( World Triathlon Corporation)

I was poking around Tim Noakes Lore of Running text last night and came up with the stat that runners have about five times the incidence of kidney stones over normal. This would again point to the issue of dehydration...and the debate that brings up. Like most things, there seems to be a quick/easy answer that's not always complete or correct. This is a terrific book and although you wouldn't read it every day, it has the answers to so many problems that endurance athletes encounter I'd think it belongs on everyone's book shelf. (Right next to Matt Fitzgerald's Racing Weight)

John

John H. Post, III, MD
Orthopedic Surgeon
Charlottesville, VA
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just curious as it would be difficult to diagnose a kidney stone once it passed....and since many of the signs and symptoms of a kidney stone could be relatively common in an IM.....and since it seems to defy odds that you'd happen to pass a stone during the biggest race of the year.....I was curious.

I'd imagine that the incidence of stones in athletes has dropped dramatically over the years. In my Dad's day - it was common for marathoners to not drink at all in racing or training. We used to drive the courses the night before and hide coke/beer along the course (that was 30 years ago). He has some good stories though of black urine and not urinating for several days after marathons....Now we all over-drink...

I have and like Noakes book.

Dave
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've had two. If I have another, it'll be 25 years too soon!

Remember Luddites are people too...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
John,

I've had an "interesting" experience that I personally believe was a kidney stone, but the doctor doesn't think it was the case. I know this is the internet and am not asking for advice (since the problem seems to be gone), but would love your thoughts if you feel inclined. I know my doc knows a TON more than I do, and that you don't have my tests, etc. in front of you, so no worries if you'd prefer not to comment.

August 2009 - After a hard run I come back and pee what looks like blood. This happens 3-4 more times after runs - some easy, some hard, but only running - I just ignore it. The "blood" is only present when I pee immediately after a workout, and my urine is clear the next time I go. There is some minimal lower back pain that I attribute to overall body fatigue and long bike rides. I end up ignoring it and I continue training - the "blood" symptom seems to go away, but the lower back pain is still there.

That brings us to Feb 2010 - Again, after a hard run, the "blood" appears in my urine. I head to the doctor. He checks out some things (prostate, etc.) and decides he wants to do some blood tests. Once he gets the tests back, he determines I have a condition where I am burning myoglobin at a high rate and losing the waste when I pee. He tells me to drink more water, but that there isn't much I can do. Bummer, but at least I'm not dying. I continue to train and seem to find the "myoglobin" in my urine more often, but still only after running. I go back to the doctor, he checks things out again but sticks to his original claim. He tells me to really push the water and if it happens again, he wants to send me to a kidney specialist.

I follow his orders and don't have any symptoms until I travel to Iowa for Hy-Vee two weeks later. Two days before the race, I go for a easy 5 mile run in the humidity. Upon finishing, my pee is filled with "myoglobin." About an hour later, I have to go to the bathroom again. To my surprise and horror, my pee is still redish-brown in color - remember it has never been present after my first urination. Then, all of the sudden, something bizarre happens...as I'm peeing, I get the sensation you get when you put your thumb over the end of the hose. My urination stops for about a half-second, while pressure builds. Suddenly, something passes (no pain) and my flow shoots back to normal. I'm pretty freaked out and inspect the toilet...there are some small particles in the bottom, but I have no idea if they are from me or already present.

Since that day, I have not had any of the above symptoms and things seem to be 100% back to normal. My little sisters (19 and 15) have both had kidney stones once in their lives. I'm told I would have known if I was passing a kidney stone from the pain. I told the doctor this story and he seemed perplexed. Any thoughts on whether it could have been a kidney stone where I didn't experience pain?

Either way, thanks for the write-up. Good reminder.

Drew
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My wife had our second child 8 months ago. There was less than 2 1/4 hours between when her water broke and when she delivered. Things happened really fast. There was no time to give her an epidural. She was in such pain during the last five minutes that she was screaming, crying and almost fell of the bed. I'd rather pass a kidney stone.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I got my first kidney stone when I was 21, and my 2nd when I was 22. I am a female.. so that's pretty atypical. I am now almost 27 and haven't had any trouble in 5 years. I have also cut meat out of my diet and drink a lot more water, but I can safely say that that first kidney stone was AWFUL.. took like 3 weeks to pass and I wanted to die - the only thing I could do was take percocet and pass out in order to deal with the pain.

---
IM Coeur D'Alene 2011
IM Wisconsin 2011
http://alexaharding.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: "What Are Kidney Stones?" Tim DeBoom, Kona, 2003 [JustJumpIt17] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well done, I hope you don't have another one for another 100 years. Your thoughts on hydration are good ones, by current standards. It might not hurt, when you're on a plane and see an article on stones every once in a while, that you check it out and see what's new. I checked out your blog, very nice, good luck with that race schedule!

John

John H. Post, III, MD
Orthopedic Surgeon
Charlottesville, VA
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
4 episodes of kidney stones. Typically happens during the winter. I tend to not pay attention to hydration. I often go for 5h with 2 bottles
and that's all I drink. During the winter, am are in the low 30s in El Paso (yes, that's cold...for me). So I drink less. After a few weeks, I guess
the stones build up. Anyhow, 4 episodes. No ER ever, but I've driven my sorry butt to an MD and was given Dr Greg House's drug of choice,
aka Vicodin. Makes me nauseated like I was a pregnant woman in her first trimester, but it helped with the pain and with passing the stones.

I try to be more careful now that I've officially reached 40yrs...
Quote Reply
Re: "What Are Kidney Stones?" Tim DeBoom, Kona, 2003 [ahaberkorn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Myoglobin in the urine tends to be more brownish or even blackish. Often looks like a nice dark beer.....

Blood in the urine looks like blood. They look different.

Its easy to tell the difference for a doctor - both will test + on a dipstick as "blood" yet under the microscopic you see red blood cells if its blood and nothing if its myoglobin....

Your story isn't typical for a stone but if something plugged you up - it was either a stone or a clot - stones sink and look like sand. Clot looks like clot and floats.....

Sounds like you had a stone....but you should have your urine checked occ. to make sure the dipstick doesn't show anything.....as you need a work-up if it tests + for blood....by a urologist.

Dave
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had one in the mid 90's.

I'd been traveling for work. After getting off the plane I went for a bike ride. Later I started feeling lower back pain and eventually threw up a few times from the pain. I drove to the doc, he gave me pain meds and I went home fast before they took effect. Nothing got better and eventually went to the hospital and was admitted, but still didn't pass the stone.

They eventually said that the pressure behind the stone had equalized with the pressure in front of it and it wasn't moving, so they went and got it. Some kind of catheter contraption, but I was unconscious.

I'm sure there was some dehydration involved to kick it off, but the physician asked me about my iced tea consumption. It was a lot. He said that the calcium carbonate (I think) in the tea could build up and cause stones.

I've got back on my tea habit and haven't had a problem since.

-- Scott
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here's my Kidney Stone horror story...

It was a dark and stormy night, no, literally, it was dark and stormy (ok, snowing) out. I had just bought a new washer and dryer, had them delivered to my house (I was 28, lived alone) and my jackass brother was supposed to come help me take them down to the basement. Well he did not show up, I was sick of looking at them in my kitchen and I had a really nice mover's dolly, the kind with a lot of straps and the built in tracks on the back to lay it down going up or down steps. So I figured I'm in pretty good shape (was into lifting back then, more on that later) so I strapped the washer to the dolly, positioned it at the top of the steps and by myself got it down to the basement with little or no problems. Ditto for the dryer. By now it was about 10pm and I did not feel like hooking them up, plus I was supposed to be getting up early the next morning to go skiing with friends so I sacked out on the couch to watch some TV and conked out.

Around midnight I awoke to a pain in my lower left back. At first it just felt like a cramp, but within minutes it was debilitating. I could not move, it felt like a vice grip had me there, I could hardly breath and I thought "oh shit, you really pulled something or screwed your back up moving those things". I tried stretching, I tried hanging from a doorway, I tried a nice hot shower (only works for quad pains). Nothing helped, and I was getting worse. Decided I needed to go to ER. My mother lives across town, not too far from the hospital, and I had two labs, so I loaded them in the car, and even though I was hurting drove to her house and called and let her know what was going on and I needed her to watch the dogs in case I was in for more than a few hours. After the 10 minute drive to her house I was feeling a little better, so she got a heat pad out and went back to bed while I sat on the couch with the heat pad not feeling too bad and fell asleep. Around 6 am I awoke on her floor, curled up in a ball, soaked in sweat with the back pain again. So I drove to the ER.

At the ER, I got in pretty quickly. The nurse said she wanted me to pee in a cup for a kidney stone check, and I was like WTF, I'm only 28, eat healthy (relatively) and no one in my family has ever had kidney stones! Sure enough she comes back very quickly, says there's blood in my urine and I probably have a stone. Great. So they send me for my first ever catscan and there is apparently a fairly large stone in the small tube from my kidney to my bladder. By now I have 0 pain, but the doctor says it will hurt when it moves through that tube, and then once in the bladder I will pass it. They send me home with a little white strainer to pee in and I'm out of there, pain free.

All day saturday and sunday I have no symptoms of any pain at all. I feel fine, no fever, nothing other than super high anxiety every time I take a leak expecting the pain to be there. But nothin happens. Monday morning I wake up, about 4 am, on my floor next to my bed, unable to breath as the pain in my lower back is worse than ever. Somehow manage to drive to the ER while hunched over in a ball, walk in and luckily the same security guard is there from Saturday and he recognizes me and takes me straight into the nurses. They give me a shot of something, don't remember what, but the pain is unbearable and all I can do is situp curled up in a ball on my bed. The nurse keeps telling me I have to lay down as when the stuff they gave me kicks in in 20 minutes or so it will knock me out. I tell her I need something NOW and can't lay down. They give me another shot, not sure what, and I'm out like a light.

I wake up around 11am in a hospital room and have been admitted. Now, in 28 years, I had never been to the hospital for anything other than ER visits and a couple broken bones as a kid. No surgeries, nothing. The urologist comes in, says they did another scan while I was out and the stone is rather large and has not moved since Saturday so tomorrow they are doing surgery if it does not pass. I ask about the scar or how I will be cut, as I'm freaking out, and he says in very broken english (he was from the Filipines (sp?)) no scar, we go straight in. I say what? He says again, no scar, laser goes up your penis and straight to stone. Now I'm really freaked out! The rest of monday is kind of a blur, as I have no pain but I'm really stressed. I drink as much water as humanly possible until I'm allowed no more in hopes to pass the stone and repeatedly fight with the guy in the bed next to me who keeps turning off the TV. He's just been diagnosed with pretty serious throat cancer or something from smoking, but him and his wife keep leaving for cigarette breaks in the smoking area and come back reeking of tobacco. I get no sleep that night, and 2pm the next day comes super early as they whisk me off to the ER to shove a giant laser up my wang. The last thing I remember is the nurse telling me as I"m going under for the first time ever that she's had a kidney stone and 3 kids, and the stone hurt far worse. I say a lot of good that fucking does me as I drift off.

Waking up in the recovery room I come to very quickly and the only way I can describe it as I have to pee worse than any human has ever had to pee in their life. I yell, literally, this to anyone that can hear and a nice young (and cute) nurse comes running over with a tupperware looking thing and shoves my junk into it and says just go. Well, as good as the feeling was to finally go (after only holding it for a few seconds being awake), the pain as I peed was a 1000x worse. I think I passed out. Later, they tell me the stone was very big, about the size of a pencil eraser or more, and the tube from the bladder to kidney was so inflamed they had to leave a stint in there to let urine pass as it was swelled shut. No big deal I think, stints are put in arteries all the time, it will just stay up there. They also say the pain in peeing is from the giant laser going in and it will hurt to go for a few days. Then they tell me to go home later that day and to make an appointment to come back in 2 weeks to get the stint out. Great...

The next week or so is pure hell. When I have to go, I have to go NOW, and can barely hold it. Plus the pain each time is awful. To the point where it brings tears to my eyes and I physically have to hold on to something each time I whiz to avoid almost falling over/passing out. Imagine having to go to the bathroom worse than ever 5-6 times a day, but each time you stand in front of the toilet for a minute or more trying to muster the courage to go. That was my life for a week. It slowly got better, then when I could go without pain or blood, I had to go back to get the stint out. That was another awful experience as unlike the operation where I was out, this was done in his office with just a mild local anasthetic and the doc and his nurse went in with a scope and then sent some little tweezer-grabber things up the scope to grab the stint and pull it all back out. Plus the whole time they were doing this they were flushing me/my bladder with saline so they could see so it felt like I had to pee like crazy again, and at the same time was peeing myself on his table as the saline was flushing out. Plus, I had just healed up to where I could go no problems and now they went back up there an irritated things again. So for another 3-4 days after I had to go through the 'hurts like hell' to pee scenario all over again.

As a follow up meeting with my urologist he went over a ton of questions. Family history, diet, what I drank etc... and afterwards came to the conclusion that he had no idea how or why I got a stone as I had no history and my lifestyle/diet had no indicators or factors that he thought would cause a stone. Them I mention that I was working out at the gym a lot and one of the guys a month before I got the stone had told me to try creatine powder. As soon as I said that he rolled his eyes and said to not take it again, ever. Then he explained that especially during the initial 'load' phase where they tell you to take a lot of the powder for a week or two how bad it is and if you are not drinking gallons of water what can happen and so on. He then states that with the size and relative softness of the stone he is/was convinced it was formed very quickly and was in his opinion due to me taking that powder and not drinking enough.

Needless to say I've never touched that stuff since. Also, like many people say, once you get a stone you are predisposed to get them again every 4-5 years or so for the middle part of your life, but knock on wood I've never had another one. Although I do admit that any time I feel the slightest twinge or pain or pang in my lower back I instantly start to panic and the ordeal I went through 10+ years ago seems like yesterday. Never again (I hope and pray). But as others have said, WORST PAIN EVER.

Prev Next