Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

"Weird" part shortages. What the heck?
Quote | Reply
We're building up bikes for some customers. On our recommendation they are using a partivular brand of aerobar.

Normally we buy this brand of aerobar from one of several large wholesale distributors. Four large distributors to be exact. Now, I would characterize three of these four distributors as among the largest in the industry.

I get part numbers for what we need and also reasonable substitutions and phone the distributors with our orders.

They don't have anything. Not one of these four distributors had any stock in this product. Very odd.

So, I call the manufacturer directly to get the skinny and maybe beg to buy direct if they have anything. They don't sell to retailers direct- only through distributors.

The manufacturer has a phone message that says they "Can't take my call". Hmmmm.

So, as a last resort, I call my 'ol buddy Mr. "D" at another distributor. They have tons of the stuff. It is like hitting a vein of gold. They have everything I need and more. So I stock up.

Very odd. These "component shortages" are one of the weirdest things I've ever seen in this industry.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: "Weird" part shortages. What the heck? [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And why are we keeping the name a secret?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Talking to my LBS recently and asked why no one stocks compact cranks, or why are they hard to come by. He said that some bikes will come with compacts oem. True? Heard any of this?

-----------------------------------------------------
The true Master does not wish to lead,
Nor does he wish to follow.
He only wishes to place himself
Where he is needed most.
Quote Reply
Re: "Weird" part shortages. What the heck? [MojojojoMasterG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, I figured I wouldn't mention their name since some people may interpret this as being somewhat negative.

I don't think that is fair since any company could potentially fall into this category for reasons beyond their control.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: "Weird" part shortages. What the heck? [CS7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had a little difficulty finding compact cranks, but not too bad. I got what I needed on my second call and the only thing I could find was ISIS format. No Octalink. No biggie.

Quite a few manufacturers are specing compact cranks this year.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In your buildup of your Nice Cervelo you talked about the need for a front derailleur to match the compact crank. For models coming with a compact crank, what FD will they use?
Quote Reply
Re: "Weird" part shortages. What the heck? [Jim Mewkill] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That I am aware the only "compact specific" front derailleur will be Campagnolo. That said, the Shimano stuff seems to do OK or slightly better than OK with FSA brand compact cranks.

With the popularity of compact cranks I would be willing to bet there is something on the drawing board at Shimano (and now, SRAM/Truvativ).

Six months ago I was not a believer.....

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply