Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

"Vamp disease" from too much treadmill running?
Quote | Reply
Without changing up my shoe situation at all, I think I'm suffering from a self diagnosed case of Vamp disease. I'm getting in to a sports doc as soon as possible, but was curious if anyone else has had this, especially with a correlation in more treadmill running. I do run with the treadmill at at least 1% and do hill workouts at least once a week, and have read hills can often cause this as there's more pull on the laces essentially. With the weather in Colorado I've been doing 4 of 5 runs per week inside.

The dots seem to connect but curious to hear other experiences.

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Quote Reply
Re: "Vamp disease" from too much treadmill running? [realbdeal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Where in CO? It’s been pretty runable lately.

drn92
Quote Reply
Re: "Vamp disease" from too much treadmill running? [drn92] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Springs. Most of the paths have been covered in snow or it's been 15° during the day. Convenience of a treadmill is hard to beat but clearly there could be some side effects.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ahh. Golden area here. Yesterday was nice ... 27 degrees and an inch of snow made for a peaceful run. Today not so much with about 6” overnight.

Good luck. I checked it out online. Maybe changing your lacing pattern, trying some different shoes, or not lacing so tight could work.

drn92
Quote Reply
Re: "Vamp disease" from too much treadmill running? [drn92] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
To quote Mars Blackmon "Maybe it's the shoes?"

Or at least the laces?

I have a high arch, so to get a good/comfortable fit, I skip a couple holes in the middle

I doubt the treadmill has anything to do with it

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: "Vamp disease" from too much treadmill running? [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well I've been running primarily in NB 860s for probably 8 years, BUT in thinking more about it last night, they did pretty drastically change the design and heel cup in this year's version, which I have. Entirely possible they just don't hold me in as well. I ordered myself my first ever pair of asics last night so we'll see how those work!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know when I run on my treadmill i tend to get a blister on the end of my second toe for some reason. Doesnt happen when running outside. Shoes are proper sized etc but for some reason when on the mill my toes jam the end of my shoes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

I think you’ve run into the classic runner complaint. “They Changed my Shoe”

A couple suggestions
1. Since you have been in the 860 there is a distinct path to find the same shoe from another brand. Brooks Adrenaline, Saucony Guide, Mizuno Wave Inspire, Asics GT 2000. With these shoes you are not changing the function your are simply playing with fit and feel under foot. Odds are you will like one of them. Since the Adrenaline is currently #1 in the category I suggest start there. Of course try the Asics you already ordered first.
2. Learn to migrate to different shoes. First find your go to running shoe. The shoe you know you like and can run in every day.(probably from #1). Then branch out to a different shoe and start incorporating it into 1 or 2 runs per week. Here there are two different paths. Go with similar function but different performance. (Let’s say the Asics 2000 is your favorite new shoe. The lightweight performance shoe would be the DS Trainer) Or go with “different function”. Sticking with Asics venture out to a shoe like the Nimbus Lite 2. I put different function in quotes because the lines are blurring even more today. The Nimbus Lite 2 is geometrically quite stable. It’s a beautiful shoe.
3. You are right that surface is really important. The pain your are feeling is coming from the constant exact same repetition on your foot. Variety in your running surface is ideal. If you are forced inside use the treadmill and change the incline regularly during your run. If you can get outside, sidewalks are hard, roads are softer, trails are best to a point (trails really put variety into your foot placement which is great, trails are softer and of course much more peaceful). Assuming you will race a triathlon, that will be on the road so some running on the road is good.

This looks like a great deal but it’s fairly simple. Always have two shoes you can run and vary the surface.

Dave Jewell
Free Run Speed

Quote Reply
Re: "Vamp disease" from too much treadmill running? [SDJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Appreciate the insight!

I was a Brooks Adrenaline runner until going to a New Balance sponsored school, but I found a pair of last years gt 2000 for significantly cheaper so decided to try those first. I do normally mix up my shoes, with some Hoka Carbon shoes for tempos and Infinity Runs for super easy runs, but the Infinity run uppers have always felt terrible to me. It's too bad the new 860s arent working for me because I actually find them really comfortable otherwise. The heel is quite nice, but that may be because it's not actually locking me in like I need...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
While this isn't going to solve your problem I have many athletes who do 90-95% of their running on treadmill. In all the years of coaching I've never had an athlete have Vamp disease from TM running.

I've got athletes who only run outside 10-15x all year, the rest on the TM.

I would concur it's probably the shoes and having multiple pair is a great idea. Most of my treadmill heavy runners have 3-4 pair that they rotate through.
Some are long run only, hill/tempo/threshold/fast runs only/ some are day in day out trainers. You get the idea.

Heal up quickly!

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: "Vamp disease" from too much treadmill running? [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Brian, these athletes who are largely treadmill runners, are they:

1. Performance oriented athletes
  2. Recreational runners/exercisers
  3. New to running
  4. Lifelong runners

I am mainly curious what camps from the above they fall into. At my gym that I USED to go to lots of runners who 100% run on treadmill for exercise (just like they use the elliptical trainer) and definitely many performance triathlon types who do a lot of treadmill, but generally the lifelong runners really want to to get outside often enough when they can unless they are nursing something and treadmill gives them more forgiveness.

OK back to the topic on the thread.
Quote Reply
Re: "Vamp disease" from too much treadmill running? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Probably been said on other shoe/treadmill threads but thought I'd say it again - it is quite beneficial to give walking or a bit of light jogging on the treadmill a try - start with a minute - and be sensible and cautious as you ramp it up.

As well - walking on the treadmill at different inclines - can also be a good idea. Walking at a 5% incline may feel quite different than walking at a 15%. It's fun to experiment with this.

The benefit of this experiment is to see what your foot (as well as the rest of your body) really WANTS to do when it runs, as opposed to what it HAS to do when forced to conform to a shoe.

Your body will tell you a lot.

http://www.fitspeek.com the Fraser Valley's fitness, wellness, and endurance sports podcast
Quote Reply