Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

"Value" of new front end on tri bike?
Quote | Reply
A friend and I ended up traveling together to LOU. In loading his (older than my 2015 model) P2, I couldn't help but notice his was lighter than mine. We both have carbon/aluminum clincher wheel sets....same saddle.....but he has an upgraded front end (3T). Mine is sportin' the stock (I assume) aluminum. Point is - the weight difference was discernible.

Now, I'm a 53 y.o. who conservatively biked 6:24, so - I have no delusions of grandeur. But, I do everything I can to be faster than I could be (aero helmet, latex tubes, race wheels, etc. - FTP of 240). I plan to do a couple HIMs and a couple shorter races, next year. In 2019, I age up.....and I'd like to run the local sprint series (compete). Is this (new front end) an upgrade I should consider? I honestly have no idea what the gains "might" be (everything else being static).

Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: "Value" of new front end on tri bike? [nc452010] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
All else equal, weight reduction alone will save you maybe 10s per 100g over a relatively flat 180km IM course.
For shorter distance races that you will be doing there will be virtually no difference.

Now if you ugrade to a more aero bar, there may be some gains, even if it is heavier than your current
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, there is value on several levels. First, the stock P2 basebar may have the worst cable routing of any bike on the market. So, just getting a new bar with better cable routing will reduce some drag. Then, the bar itself is not very aero. It has fat tubes and I am not a fan of the turned-up brake levers. And, because of its material and clamp design, it is heavy. So, spending a little cash could get you both faster and lighter, and lighter becomes a tiny bit faster.

You do not need to go all in with a $1K integrated bar & stem to get value. But, that sure is sweet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If your not in a rush.

Go pre order my new stem and aerobars to help and buy a profile design base bar.

I will have a base bar in development soon after we fund my stems.

More info can be found here.
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/culprit-aerodynamic-stem-and-clip-on-aerobars-bicycle/x/13290498#/

Joshua
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If your position is set and you know how long your aero bar needs to be, try going the route I did.

Picked up a PRO missile alloy base bar (about $100), very good internal cable routing. And I have an older set of Vision aero bars (the non-adjustable ones). If you know what length you need, look for a set of those, they should be pretty cheap and are quite aero because of the pad / clamp arrangement. Comfy too...

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, the first question to ask is have you done a fit with a fitter to optimize your fit coordinates up front? More than a hardware change, optimizing the majority of your surface area up there can make a profound difference. It'll also inform what works best with regard to hardware.

Seriously, don't take me too seriously.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bars can pretty much make or break a bike's aero performance. The best example I have seen is the P4. That thing is crazy fast with a Ventus according to the Slowtwitch shootout article from about 2010 (search the front page for Cervelo and windtunnel if I remember correctly). Specialized then compared the Shiv TT to a P4 and the Shiv performed much more similarly to the P4. However the P4 had a really messy Profile cockpit and a couple of inches of exposed round steer tube. So about an 8-10 watt difference based on cockpit.
Quote Reply