Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
"UCAN" school me
Quote | Reply
So is it the newest snake oil?
"hydrothermally cooked non-GMO corn" ?...ummm aka steamed?
Any holes people see in the study from Oklahoma?
Anyone using this product?

www.generationucan.com
Quote Reply
Re: "UCAN" school me [franktheguard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I began using about 1 month ago as I was tired of sugar content in gels and other fuel. So far so good. No stomach problems on long bike rides and the best part to me is the simplicity. Not the greatest taste, but I can live with that. My favorite thing is that you only use once every 90 minutes to 2 hours, depending on your distance. No more gels every hour and no more sugar highs/lows. Count me as a happy customer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It didn't work for me. I tried it three times. On one run, I tried taking it within 30 minutes of starting, then at 90 minutes. I bonked before the two hour mark. Tried again sipping on a diluted mixture every mile ( so it equalled a dose for 90 minutes), got terribly dehydrated on that run, even though it was the same amount of water I normally take and still didn't make two hours. I tried it on the bike and I was ok for 3 hours, but felt a little lethargic. I think it takes more water than I normally use, so might have done better with double water to help it digest. But in any case I was done trying it. Infinit for me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm experimenting with UCAN at the moment. My nutritionist is friendly with the guys that started the company and pretty bullish on the product otherwise I never would've shelled out $60 for a small tub of corn starch. I haven't had any GI distress but cannot comment any further at this point. I will say this: it never seems to fully mix, kind of "chalky" texture, and not the best taste but certainly tolerable.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We need DarkHorseTri for this. I believe he uses it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use Generation UCAN exclusively in my training and racing. When coupled with a metabolically efficient diet, the results can be astounding. I used to take in around 3500 calories for a 9 hour Ironman. After 4 months of metabolic efficiency and UCAN use, I raced Ironman Sweden last year in under 9 with only 750 calories for the day, and with nothing but UCAN and water. The thing I always tell people is that it doesn't require you to change your day to day nutritional intake, but those who have a fat burning focused diet will really appreciate the advantages UCAN brings (no GI distress, fewer bottles and gels and stuff on the bike and run, no insulin spikes, etc). The product has been a total game changer for me.

Happy to discuss more- greg@TriBy3.com

I'd also encourage anyone looking to really dive in to metabolic efficiency training (MET) to read anything from Bob Seebohar. He was/is heavily involved in the development of Generation UCAN and it is with his concept of MET that I've found so much dietary success.
Quote Reply
Re: "UCAN" school me [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
I'm experimenting with UCAN at the moment. My nutritionist is friendly with the guys that started the company and pretty bullish on the product otherwise I never would've shelled out $60 for a small tub of corn starch. I haven't had any GI distress but cannot comment any further at this point. I will say this: it never seems to fully mix, kind of "chalky" texture, and not the best taste but certainly tolerable.

This x1000. I no longer use it.

**For me** the texture & the taste just made it so that I didn't want to drink it. And if you don't drink it, then it certainly doesn't work. Just my n=1 experience.

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Re: "UCAN" school me [TriBy3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriBy3 wrote:
I use Generation UCAN exclusively in my training and racing. When coupled with a metabolically efficient diet, the results can be astounding. I used to take in around 3500 calories for a 9 hour Ironman. After 4 months of metabolic efficiency and UCAN use, I raced Ironman Sweden last year in under 9 with only 750 calories for the day, and with nothing but UCAN and water. The thing I always tell people is that it doesn't require you to change your day to day nutritional intake, but those who have a fat burning focused diet will really appreciate the advantages UCAN brings (no GI distress, fewer bottles and gels and stuff on the bike and run, no insulin spikes, etc). The product has been a total game changer for me.

Happy to discuss more- greg@TriBy3.com

I'd also encourage anyone looking to really dive in to metabolic efficiency training (MET) to read anything from Bob Seebohar. He was/is heavily involved in the development of Generation UCAN and it is with his concept of MET that I've found so much dietary success.

Kind of what I'm fiddling with/intrigued by. Anything specific I should read?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bob's book "Metabolic Efficiency Training" is a perfect starting point- http://fuel4manceblog.blogspot.com/p/store.html
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Similar experience for me. No more of the energy spikes and dips that I used to have with regular sports nutrition products and much less GI issues. I love the stuff but I don't mind the "chalky" taste and much prefer that over the sickly sweet taste of sports drinks. You can also mix your bottles the night before, which helps it be a little less chalky.

To the poster who commented on getting dehydrated when using it .... it should be your training/racing nutrition not your hydration. I still use water and salt tabs (when needed). For me the UCAN is for calories, not hydration. I agree for UCAN to work best is if you follow a MET diet. I'm not sure if it would work as well with someone who follows a typical endurance athlete high carb diet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:

I'm in the same boat right now as well as a week into a HFLC (<30g carbs/day) diet. Took it for a spin on a ride/run brick Saturday and so far am pretty pleased with it. Contrary to others, I actually love the texture and taste of this stuff, at least the orange so far. I've been reading a lot of Dr. Atilla's stuff as well as some other random things I've turned up here and there. Will have to give the other materials referenced a read as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am doing my own (n=1) experiment with UCAN along with transitioning into a much lower carb diet over the last two years. My training has become much steadier over that time and I have vastly reduced the number of calories and CHO consumed in training and while racing.

Yesterday at Eagleman I nursed a concentrated 20oz thermos of UCAN orange made with 2.5 scoops over the bike course as my sole source of calories. I would take a small hit every 15 min and wash it down with water. That's about 200 calories all-in and I did not finish it. While my ride time was about the same as last year (2:52 v 2:54 in 2013) my running off the bike was much better (1:59 instead of 2:26 implosion). On the run I had 6 cups of cola (I am guessing 2 oz each) as that seems to suit my constitution best. No gels, no sports drinks.

Interesting side effect is that I am no longer ravenously hungry post-race. I used to want to eat everything is sight about two hours after a race but in the last year+ my appetite is very normal afterwards.

So that's the experience so far of one 46 year old guy. I don't think there's anything definitive there but the outcome is good enough to keep going.

I will tell you that I absolutely do not miss CHO sports drinks, bars and gels. I would say it's worth the experiment to see if it improves your training and racing.
Quote Reply
Re: "UCAN" school me [thebigb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have the orange as well. IMO, the best of the four flavors though the Pom-blue is also pretty good. The cran razz and lemonade both tasted terrible to me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used it at the Boston Marathon this year.
Had a great day, never felt like I was bonking and never had dead legs.
Had 450 calories total, ran a 3:39 race (a BQ for me).... (200 calories one hour before start; sip small flask for miles 1-8; 100 calorie bottle at mile 10; 100 calorie bottle at mile 17. All hand-offs from friends.)
Totally recommend folks try it.
I am using it on upcoming 70.3 and IM.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm type 1 diabetic and after being given some samples of UCAN and seeing how slow the blood sugar raise was, I was sold on the product, so their claims are legit, it does triggers less insulin which makes you metabolize more fat during your training and racing.

I'm also on a very low carb diet (30-60g day) and use it as a 'carbo load' the day before sprint races. Find it easier to stick to the usual diet to add a few scoops in one day rather than eat the carbs again and lose control. Wrote some of my experiences here, managed some decent results in sprint races including sub 1h sprints, would love to go long again as I think it could help me improve my PB (8h50) on the ironman distance but dont quite have the time right now: http://www.ironguides.net/...-carb-high-fat-diet/

--
Vinnie Santana, Multisport Coach
http://www.ironguides.net
* * * Your best is our business. * * *
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm fine with simple sugar or maltodextrin products (and I take issue that you can lump them together as UCAN does). Are we in desperate need of spacing our sips out over long periods of time? I'm sipping every 15 minutes or so and I've yet to notice uneven energy levels let alone bonking.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For those who do not like the taste or consistency of UCAN, try Genr8 Vitargo. The same principle as UCAN but it mixes well in a blender and tasted good.

--------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for starting this thread. I've been reading about UCAN for the last couple of weeks or so and just ordered some to try this morning. I'm intrigued by it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ok so things:
1. has anyone tried the unflavored and been happy since Im reading 50/50 with the flavors.
2. chalky...like the old the old ....accelerade ??? or perpetum???
3. Im reading increase in insulin and no change whats the deal?
4. Competitors seem to be pointing out different things, and price is all over the place.

Lastly its listed as a "steamed corn" whats so special, what am I missing?

Thanks ALL for your responses, Im still reading all of them and appreciative.
Quote Reply
Re: "UCAN" school me [ElGordo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've gone back and forth with the decision of using UCAN vs the advantages of using the nutrition on the course. I've had GI issues and the past and had reasonably good success with half marys and HIMs. But I also appreciate the simplicity and safety of using what's on the course. I'm doing a HIM in 2 weeks and they have HEED and Hammer Gels on the course. So I've spent the last 2 months training with these products instead of UCAN. But I'm definitely a bit worried since this will be my first race in about 18 months without UCAN. How have others approached this issue?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I do not like the plain alone at all. However, I like to make a concentrated mix of plain and flavored for long training rides/IMs, so for example I might mix my bottle with 2 packets plain and 2 packets orange (or less but equal ratios for shorted workouts/races). I usually make mine concentrated so I can keep all my nutrition in 1-2 bottles. I like the orange the best of the flavors since it is the least sweet and I don't like really sweet drinks. I've also used the Vanilla Cream protein enhanced drink for IM training/race day nutrition instead of the sports drink mixes and it's worked well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
-I used the unflavored for training and IM-Tremblant last year. I liked the plain as much as you can like tasteless drinks. Yes it's chalky but if you are cutting it with water and say GU Brew on the ride it's fine.
-Price is expensive but I actually think for me personally it was well worth the money to have no GI distress.
-I recommend it.
Quote Reply
Re: "UCAN" school me [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Singled ur post bc you no longer use it.
Anyone willing to donate/sell for cheap /shipping?
I'm not fond of dropping that much coin for a few packets and a dust collector in the pantry.
The mixing with flavored sounded good.
Although the mixing with SUGAR products kindof defeats the purpose of UCAN ?
More reading for me.
Quote Reply
Re: "UCAN" school me [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
japarker24 wrote:
GreenPlease wrote:

This x1000. I no longer use it.

**For me** the texture & the taste just made it so that I didn't want to drink it. And if you don't drink it, then it certainly doesn't work. Just my n=1 experience.

This is also me. I just couldn't stomach the texture / taste. I couldn't even choke it down and I figured that however great it might be it wasn't worth that.
Quote Reply
Re: "UCAN" school me [Futurewaves] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Futurewaves wrote:
-I used the unflavored for training and IM-Tremblant last year. I liked the plain as much as you can like tasteless drinks. Yes it's chalky but if you are cutting it with water and say GU Brew on the ride it's fine.
-Price is expensive but I actually think for me personally it was well worth the money to have no GI distress.
-I recommend it.

Isn't combining UCAN with GU Brew defeating the purpose of using UCAN in the first place?

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply

Prev Next