Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

"Training and Racing with a Power Meter"
Quote | Reply

I've made the commitment and I'm finally buying my own PowerTap - No more borrowing for me! So I was thinking of buying Training and Racing with a Power Meter by Hunter Allen and Andrew Coggan (Slowtwitch's own).

Anyone got any reviews or comments? I've heard some good stuff outside of this forum, but I wanted to hear what the folks think here on this forum - we all know the final word is at Slowtwitch after all.

Thanks....

http://theworldthroumyeyes.tumblr.com/
Quote Reply
Re: "Training and Racing with a Power Meter" [ShoMyOFace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I definately recommend reading this book before you buy a power meter. The benefits of a power meter are only as good as your interpretation and implementation of the data. To use the data effectively you have to understand it. The Allen/Coggan book is the go-to reference for understanding training with power.

I recommend it.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

A powermeter is a $1000+ bike computer without this book. Read it, study it.

i actually reread most of it today while traveling for work.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The book will help you to learn what it is you need to do. If these ideas interest you then go get that new toy. Then when you start riding with it integrate those thoughts and ideas into what it is you are doing on the bike.

Good luck.

36 kona qualifiers 2006-'23 - 3 Kona Podiums - 4 OA IM AG wins - 5 IM AG wins - 18 70.3 AG wins
I ka nana no a 'ike -- by observing, one learns | Kulia i ka nu'u -- strive for excellence
Garmin Glycogen Use App | Garmin Fat Use App
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think if you've made up your mind to get a PM, get it and the book at the same time. Hit the trainer for 2-3 3 hour sessions while you get the book down.

Then apply what you've learned to those first couple rides.

Two birds, one stone.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
"Lemond is cycling's version of Rev Jessie Jackson." -johnnyperu 5/18/07
"Just because I suck doesn't mean my bike has to" -rickn 9/2/08
Quote Reply