Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

"The perfect distance" vs. "Going long"
Quote | Reply
If you were to buy one.... which one ? and why.. i cannot decide and i dont want or need to read both.

let me know,

thanks.

Evan

Last edited by: uncle_evan: Aug 10, 09 14:23
Quote Reply
Re: "The perfect distance" vs. "Triathlete's training bible" [uncle_evan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i have been reading the perfect distance and actually have found it to be very well written.
I would recommend Going Long or better still daniels Running Formula---best book i have read on training.
Quote Reply
Re: "The perfect distance" vs. "Triathlete's training bible" [uncle_evan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
'The Perfect Distance' is geared towards 70.3 events, the Training Bible is a more philosophical approach to triathlon training in general, and how to construct your own annual training plan, and can be adapted for any distance. Guess it's more a question of what you're looking for. If you're looking for a long-course training book, maybe look at 'Going Long' by Friel as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Perfect Distance,Going Long and both Daniels books are great and you really at some point should read all of them and form your plan by adaptimg things that work for you. The common focus on all of them is periodization. I just read Run Faster which is Brad Hudson's book on adaptive running. He draws the plan up for each athlete in pencil and changes on how they feel. Just because the schedule says run 800 repeats on Tuesday means your body is ready for that workout at the intensity initially scheduled. I have run for close 40 years and competeted at fairly high level in triathlons and know that no plan works them exactly the same way for each person without tweaking it for each person. Learn your body and you will be able to develop the program for your needs.
Quote Reply
Re: "The perfect distance" vs. "Triathlete's training bible" [matt_d] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i changed the thread title... i was supposed to put "going long" but put the other.

bump

I read them both and use them almost as a manual. I focus on HIM but Going Long has many, many universally applied principles if you know how to scale them to HIM distance. Tom Rodgers has some things in "The Perfect Distance" that don't sound correct, many times are contradicting previous statements etc. Sometimes, I get little frustrated with it. I almost know material in it by page numbers. He has mangled up info geared toward beginners and advanced athletes but most of the time does not separate it.
Going Long is more methodical in my opinion. Easier to go back to.
Both books are excellent, valuable tools if you self coach. They both need a solid book like Training Bible type and a running related book of equal focus. Daniles books are mentioned. I like Ken Mierke's running book for triathletes. I also have Maglischo's Swimming Fastest. That is the core of my library. I have many other books, but these are used all the time.
Quote Reply
Re: "The perfect distance" vs. "Going long" [uncle_evan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
one quick word: Library.

read each once. buy if needed.

Twitter @achtervolger
Quote Reply
Re: "The perfect distance" vs. "Going long" [uncle_evan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have them both. I think you should get through one, then the other and decide which one you want to use or combine some from each and apply it in your training. I am one to think you can never have enough books though (my wife hates when I leave them all over the house).

"It's too dangerous and expensive to ride with d*ckheads" -tridork

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
you should also consider Endurance Nation's Long Course Training Manual.

@gobrentgo
Last edited by: b-rex: Oct 2, 09 6:10
Quote Reply