Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

"The Wall" Is Nothing Compared To "The Attic"
Quote | Reply
I have just come across possibly the most brutal race known to man, besides an Ironman or Marathon, and, that is, the "Solo House Move, Spiral Staircase Athon." The event consists of moving a family with two kids and their shit out of one house into another, which has, yes, a climbing, spiral staircase (I keep saying that...) ---using nothing but one or two lazy, completely, worthless and unhelpful friends and the largest U-Haul on the lot, because you are so cheap you don't want to use professional movers.

As I type this, I can barely move my arms, shoulders, legs, toes, and neck.

As the clock was ticking down during the race, for the buyer of my old house to "take possession by midnight," I started this brutal race early at 7 in the morning, moving heavy ass, wrought-iron steel lawn sets, couches, chairs, bar stools, heavy glass panes, 45,695 boxes of toys, food, cans, clothes, more boxes of toys, bikes, dog food cans.

Just to sit here and list all of the hordes of diverse shit would be impossible.

Safe to say is that you don't have time to tag it and analyse it and be cynical about it. You just keep your feet and arms moving and hauling ass. The week before I had ran a marathon. I concluded four hours into this race that I would have rather run 3 marathons that day than do this.

Times got tough.

I reminded myself to take Accelerade and hit Gu all day however there were many aid stations I "walked through," in which I would pay a price for later.

Just to stop here and list what I have lifted, moved, put in a truck and re-lifted, and wormed up a climbing, spiral staircase, is much like writing to infinity, the careful balancing and massive weight to push items, themselves, all differently balanced, worked different muscles, all day long---a horrific, all day long, fatiguing trapeze act.

As the clock ticked down, and, as the friends left, I began to hit "the attic."

It is here that many solo mover, "Spiral Stair Case Athon" loses time and may quit, having already been beat down all day from all of the unbalanced weight lifting, loading and then lifting again up a spiral staircase. My back was beat.

Yes, I was worse off last Sunday at this very same time, on mile 16 of the marathon.

You've heard of "the wall," in the marathon. I think that is nothing compared to "the attic." Many people have DNF'd here on "Solo House Move Athon" when they hit "the attic," usually a dark, dusty, asbestos laced, furnace of 160 degrees fahrenheit. What with the athlete already exhausted from the previous 7 hours of work, the attic falls into the category of what "The White Spider" is to climbing the North Eigher.

And, now at "the attic," there is now more heavy shit to move, but this time, you cannot breath, you are sweating like fat beast. Time to lift broken shit, warped plastics, broken plastic rods, curtains, papers, books, and yet more boxes, but these boxes have bottoms which fall out.

It was about 4 P.M., when I hit "the attic."

I became dehyrdated, so, having no other option left, and time running out I just decided to throw everything out of the small opening of the attic down below, like a madman, chairs, books, cement tiles, broken shower curtains, even if it should hit some people down below. After several hours of throwing the shit out of the attic entrance down below, a large, dusty pile of debris had stacked up six feet high.

It was at this point somewhere in which people said I passed out. I had moved the hot attic pile into the U-Haul, and was humping it up the spiral staircase, when I passed out.

I was given an "IV" and "Came To" several hours later, finishing up the race at 9:45 P.M..

Total Time: 14:45.
Quote Reply
Re: "The Wall" Is Nothing Compared To "The Attic" [boothrand] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LOL....thanks for the GREAT read. Got a good chuckle out of it. I will let you know how my "Moving To a 3 story house movathon" goes in a month. ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That is very funny. Nice Read. How's marathon training coming?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did this only once...swore I'd never do it again!!!

These days it's "What do you want for that 1500 mile move? $4,000? No problem , Mr Mover, sir! What? Another grand and you'll pack our boxes? Where do I send the check?"

With my wife's packing style, we probably come out ahead. I swear that with the amount of tape and bubble wrap we used on our last move, we could have rolled our boxes from Arkansas to NY and never scratched a thing!

Thanks for the laugh!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll see your spiral and raise you a spiral (the washer and dryer were upstairs) plus 2 trips (160 miles round trip each over a 36 hr period no sleep - don't ask). After a while, I just pushed stuff off the damn 2nd floor. I will never f-ing move my ish again. I feel your pain.

Friends are like roaches when the lights come on, mention moving and they all scatter.

Get this man a backrub and 2 cc's of happy ending, stat!

"In the blocks you're a prisoner, the gun releases you."
Quote Reply
Re: "The Wall" Is Nothing Compared To "The Attic" [tryemdad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You can tell who the weaklings are during Movathons. These are the people who think its a party and bring beer. They don't last long. Two ,the Martha people. If you see somebody go "interior designer," just stop them right there and tell them to go back home and that they are lazy bastards.

I got so pissed at my wife and her sister I wanted to grow out my nails and scratch their eyeballs out.

Instead of "moving items" they decided wisely to go "Martha" with it, which was basically to "not move things," but to drive over to the new house, and walk around gesticulating "where something goes." Then, they would get in their cars and go out and buy completely NEW shit. So not only were they not helping MOVE they were adding more to THE MOVE.

It finally got to the point where I couldn't take it any more. I said on a scale of 1-10, "decor" is ZERO, moving things is a 10. Why don't you two get your asses over to the old house and start freaking picking up things OVER THERE and "moving them" OVER HERE. There STUFF, GET, move over HERE, a caveman could figure out where we need help.

I mean I would love to just walk around and tell you two where to put a heavy oak desk but alas if everybody had their choice to do "decor," versus "lifting," they'd choose "Decor."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great piece. I moved a coworker yesterday (the 3nd person from work I helped move in 3 months! "hey" they say "you're an Ironman!" but I want to tell them "yeah IRONMAN not IRONMOVER").

Anyway, my day: I did a 1.5 hour run at 6 AM, showered, ate a PBJ and moved my friend for 3 hours (she had a studio apartment on the 3rd floor and moved to one on the 2nd across Brooklyn) and then rushed home to take advantage of the beautiful NY weather and ride for 2 hours. It was like an extended brick, or so I liked to think. Your situation sounds considerably different and more painful, but agood read nonetheless. Hang in there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As work in the computer industry dried up in 2003, I bought and ran a moving company for 8 months, so I can vouch for the full body workouts.

You learn some useful techniques for shifting awkward lumps, and I'm not talking about your friends, and also that lifting help is generally available outside Home Depot for $10/hr.

The worst things to move are King sized matresses, don't even think of using the handles, you need to take a backwards grip on the cord and let it lean on your shoulder. Washing machines and dryers are often upstairs so you need someone on the stairs beneath them to slow down their progress. Of course the big double-door fridges can be hard, even though there's a special dolly for them they're still heavy bastards and sometimes you have to take the handles off to get them out of the house.

Spiral stairs are better than those that do a 180. For those you have to pivot the matresses and the boxsprings over the bannister.

I worked with some strong guys but with strategic loafing could often outlast them, but my legs would take about 3 days to recover.

One tip. Buy good boxes and don't put more than 40 lbs in them.
Quote Reply