Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
"The Slowtwitch Awards"
Quote | Reply
Welcome to the first annual Slowtwitch Awards, in which we give a shout out and a thingy to those who win in each of our categories. You will vote for the winners. The categories are below, and the nominations are open to athletes and events worldwide, not just those in the U.S. What we're looking for now, in this and other threads to follow, is a list of nominees, in these categories:

Male and Female short course triathlete
Male and Female mid course triathlete
Male and Female long course triathlete
Male and Female all-around triathlete

Male and Female short course age-grouper
Male and Female long course age-grouper

Best short course race
Best mid distance race
Best long course race

Then there are a few industry awards that I'll get to later.

NOTES:

You'll find 15 threads here shortly, and in each of these threads you'll find the place where you'll make your case for the nominations. Once we settle on the nominations, we'll have you all vote via a poll (there will be a separate page where you'll do all your voting).

We separate short, mid and long distance events via a point system, and it works this way:

Up to 99pt = short
100pts to 179pt = mid
180+ pt = long

100m = 1 pt
1mi bike = 1 pt
1mi xc ski = 3pt
1mi run = 4 pt

PRO ATHLETES: When you make a case for an athlete to be nominated, please place his or her 2007 results next to your nomination, and add anything else you think relevant (who of note he or she beat in that race, for example). I'll give you two examples in the male short course category.

ALL-AROUND CATEGORY: We're considering athletes who not only show quality, but breadth. For example, Chris Legh not only was often dominant at mid-distance races, but finished high in the Xterra Worlds. Nicolus Lebrun finished 7th in Xterra Worlds, and also 3rd in Winter Triathlon Worlds. Craig Alexander and Chris McCormack finished very well in short, mid and long distance racing. And don't forget those who race duathlon in addition to triathlon.

AGE-GROUP ATHLETES: Same thing as for the pros: put down your reasons for this athlete deserving the 2007 award. Keep in mind the winning candidate will not necessarily be the fastest age-group athlete, but the one who clobbered everyone in his or her age-group with the greatest vigor and success; plus his or her ability to prevail against everyone else on an age-graded or age-adjusted basis.

EVENTS: This is the race that combines the biggest, best show, plus the best venue, best food, best atmosphere, best town, best execution, the race that, cost no object, is just the best. Again, this is cost-independent. It's not the race offering the best value. It's just flat-out the best race in the World.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Last edited by: Herbert: Nov 26, 07 19:38
Quote Reply
Re: "The Slowtwitch Awards" [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No "best poster" or "best thread?" No rookie of the year?

Re: "The Slowtwitch Awards" [last tri in 83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
" No "best poster" or "best thread?" No rookie of the year?"

by all means, let those threads rip. those are the XANTUSIA VIGILIS awards (reserved for and by forum posters). what i'm writing about in THIS thread are the SLOWTWITCH awards, which are the up-class thing-of-the-year awards i must give out because i'm a magazine publisher and although i love triathlete magazine i'll be goddamned if i'm going to let it be the only crowner of things-of-the-year. although you fart jokers will vote on the slowtwitch awards, you can't actually receive any of them. you guys can give each other the best female mud wrestler triathlete awards, and i'll probably have to make little thingies to those who win those as well.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm waiting for the age group long course thread to open up...you might as well title it the Joe Boness Thread...likewise for the female age group long course thread...I'd think that RR has that one wrapped up...at least those will be my nominees...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Best AG guy....

Notes:
  • he is a father of 3 youngens
  • he is a practicing physician
  • he has a very busy life outside of Tri

Rroof

I can only imagine how good he would be with out all the wonderful distractions.

Edit:

Best AG Female - runslikeamother...hands down

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Last edited by: Record10Carbon: Nov 26, 07 18:53
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nothing for XTERRA?

--------------------------------------------------------------------
"Lemond is cycling's version of Rev Jessie Jackson." -johnnyperu 5/18/07
"Just because I suck doesn't mean my bike has to" -rickn 9/2/08
Quote Reply
Re: "The Slowtwitch Awards" [devashish paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I'm waiting for the age group long course thread to open up...you might as well title it the Joe Boness Thread...likewise for the female age group long course thread...I'd think that RR has that one wrapped up...at least those will be my nominees...
Mark me down for Joe Boness. I think Monty is the only guy in that AG who could challenge him and he doesn't seem to be doing any IMs.

Take everything I say with a grain of salt. I know nothing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Who's RR?
Quote Reply
Re: "The Slowtwitch Awards" [docfuel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Joe is the man - granted. However, Joe is blessed with a serious income and has the abilit to train as a Pro - when and where he wishes. Sure, he is the DuraCell of Iron distance...more the over charged DuraCell.

That being said, SupportCrew (his wife) posts here - I cant recall a post from Joe. Rrroof has had some great time, and is a fixture here.

Quote Reply
Re: "The Slowtwitch Awards" [Record10Carbon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
True, Rod is great and I appreciate all of his input here, but, as an old (Bleep) I'm biased toward old (Bleeps.)
And, Joe just never loses.....does he?

Take everything I say with a grain of salt. I know nothing.
Quote Reply
Re: "The Slowtwitch Awards" [docfuel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
But this is the "Slowtwitch" awards...or do we not need to focus on folks who post? If no - Joe.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
[reply]But this is the "Slowtwitch" awards...or do we not need to focus on folks who post? If no - Joe.[/reply]

I don't think it has anything to do with being a ST poster so Joe can be nominated.

Andrew

http://www.theyogapod.com
Quote Reply
Re: "The Slowtwitch Awards" [jaylew] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Who's RR?
She's big in Japan.

Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring. –Desmond Tutu
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Joe is not BLESSED with a serious income. Anyone who has an serious income worked their butts off to have it...then they get some flexibility and work their butts off to win at triathlon. There is no blessing at play...just pure hard work.

Jaylew, RR would be Rachel Ross...she went sub 10 and won F30-34 in Kona and put down a "pro like time" on average age group training :-)

Slowman, sorry to hijack this thread...I'll wait now till the age group long course thread to post and make some nominations.

Dev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Male and Female short course triathlete--Javier Gomez, Emma Snowsill

Male and Female mid course triathlete--David Thompson, Mirinda Carfree

Male and Female long course triathlete-Macca, Chrissie Wellington

Male and Female all-around triathlete-Craig Alexander, Samantha McGlone

Male and Female short course age-grouper-Chris Ganter, ??
Male and Female long course age-grouper-Mac Brown, Rachel "hottie" Ross

Best short course race-Unger at Worlds
Best mid distance race-Bjorn at Wildflower
Best long course race-Macca at Kona
Quote Reply
Re: "The Slowtwitch Awards" [eganski] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OK, I'm still going to nominate Joe for age group long course just because of sheer quantity of top notch performances and age grades speed, however, Alex should give him a solid run as winner of IMLP and top age grouper in Kona:

Oct 13, 2007 Ford Ironman World Triathlon Championship - Overall Ale mroszczyk-McDonald 09:00:09 Jul 22, 2007 Ford Ironman USA Lake Placid - Overall AL MROSZCZYK-MCDONALD 09:16:02
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
OK, I'm still going to nominate Joe for age group long course just because of sheer quantity of top notch performances and age grades speed, however, Alex should give him a solid run as winner of IMLP and top age grouper in Kona:

Oct 13, 2007 Ford Ironman World Triathlon Championship - Overall Ale mroszczyk-McDonald 09:00:09 Jul 22, 2007 Ford Ironman USA Lake Placid - Overall AL MROSZCZYK-MCDONALD 09:16:02
I'm going to have to nominate Janda Ricci-Munn, top amateur at Eagleman (3:57, 8th overall), Timberman (4:11, 6th overall), and Clearwater (3:58, 19th overall), plus winner at Nutmeg, all the while working 2 jobs. Also the top amateur at Mooseman Olympic.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Slowman, How bout something for the off road kids? They deserve a little recognition as well or do they get lumped in with the shortcourse?

-Jason

I believe cars are the new second hand smoke. -Dave Zabriskie
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Brown was top Age-Grouper at Oceanside, St. Croix, Coeur d'Alene (with a flat on the bike), 3rd at Timberman, and had a better race, IMHO, at Kona.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Brown was top Age-Grouper at Oceanside, St. Croix, Coeur d'Alene (with a flat on the bike), 3rd at Timberman, and had a better race, IMHO, at Kona.
How come Brown had a better race than Alex M&M at Kona in your opinion?

Jorge Martinez
Head Coach - Sports Science
E3 Training Solutions, LLC
@CoachJorgeM
Quote Reply
Re: "The Slowtwitch Awards" [Jorge M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Alex had a great year and a great race in Kona, I certainly don't mean to take anything away from that. Let me put it this way, in my opinion, Normann Stadler had a better race than Chris McCormack in Kona last year. Had Macca caught Stadler and beaten him, I would still feel that Stadler had the better race.

Also, Brown got T-boned by a car a month before Kona ;^)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
** on my site I have a big list of a lot of the pro's websites so you can go do research:

http://iwilltri.com/pro-triathletes/

//semi retired - old school = http://www.iwilltri.com //
Quote Reply
Re: "The Slowtwitch Awards" [hectorguatemala] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
what am i missing here?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wouldn't these awards be better known as "The Twitchies"?

".....and the Twitchie for best short course performance in the heat by a rookie goes to................"
Quote Reply
Re: "The Slowtwitch Awards" [SlayerHatebreed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"The Twitchies"

i think i could grow to like that.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply

Prev Next