Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

"That Guy" Editorial from Tom Demerly
Quote | Reply
Tom-

You really need to start submitting articles to national publications. The content of your editorials and tech articles, your style of writing, and your ability to inspire and make a connection to everyone who reads what you have written deserves a larger readership.

Anyone who frequents this site but doesn't read Tom's articles and daily editorials on http://www.bikesportmichigan.com/ is really missing out!

Litherland
Quote Reply
Re: "That Guy" Editorial from Tom Demerly [litherland] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom, I'd like to add my compliments on "That Guy". It was an especially uplifting and inspirational article. I forwarded the link to a bunch of people I know (mostly women, mostly newbie triathletes), and they all loved it.

Carol
Quote Reply
Re: "That Guy" Editorial: Opportunity Knocking [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ditto on the praises for Tom's work.

The next time we are being "That Guy" to somebody, lets take advantage of the opportunity! Even if we don't realize it, we are the ambassadors of our sport.

Ever notice how easy it is to spot the "first timer" at a race? I've taken a moment to say hi, answer questions about where the swim exit is, or loaned a pump, and it always seems to help them relax. I enjoy seeing them at the next race, showing more confidence. After all, they're no longer the "first timer". They've been promoted to "That Guy"!

Mr Ed
Triathlete with one horsepower
Quote Reply
Thank you very much. [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you very much for your kind words about "That Guy". I enjoyed writing it and hoped it would make people feel more comfortable about participating. It is so exciting to know people are reading my stuff. I used to write for Velo-News, Triathlete, Inside Triathlon and even Outside once. I gave it all up becasue I couldn't say what I thought. Now I can. Sometimes people even read it. Thanks guys.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Thank you very much. [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ahhh, I was just wondering, and I'm almost afraid to ask this... Whenever I put something up here I instantly (or quickly rather) get like, over 100 views real quickly.
Who is looking at this stuff and why? I appreciate the discussion, feedback, etc... but there are like 15 views to every post... I wonder who's lurking???

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In answer to your question, I think the others put it well. When I see your name next to a post I know you to be an intelligent, articulate, and highly qualified participant in this forum. Knowing you are the owner of a Tri Store makes me want to read what you have to say. There are very few of us on this forum that have your background/experience and own as many great tri bikes as you do!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom-

I guess that I am one of those 'lurkers', because I seldom have anything of value to add. I always check out posts by several posters (you, bunnyman, Talon, etc..) who consistently have valuable things to say.

Litherland
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been lurking this board for a couple months now. I make the odd post, but mostly just read the discussions when i'm interested in the top.

I quickly learned which posters have more relevance and put more thought into thier posts. You are one of them. No time to read every post.. so I want to try and read the ones that count. I sometimes just use the search function to find posts by certain users.

I also read all the articles on your website. Good stuff.
Quote Reply
Re: Thank you very much. [Greg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Again, thank you for your kind words. I really appreciate them.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Thank you very much. [TriDad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In answer to your question, I think the others put it well. When I see your name next to a post I know you to be an intelligent, articulate, and highly qualified participant in this forum. Knowing you are the owner of a Tri Store makes me want to read what you have to say. There are very few of us on this forum that have your background/experience and own as many great tri bikes as you do!

Tom,

It's not only your knowledge and experience that I value, it's your forthrightness. You are open and honest with your opinions. As was mentioned in the thread on your crank arm test, you basically state that there is little real performance difference between cranks. This is bold for an owner of a retail establishment. You could be just another owner/huckster using an internet forum to try and cash in. I don't get that impression from you. Your editorials are powerful and show a willingness to expose a deeper part of yourself to the world. That act is highly commendable. Yes, editors have a way of toning down their better writers, for fear of alienating the mass audience. I am glad you have both the avenue and the willingness to be who you are. Keep it up.

Brett
Quote Reply
Re: Thank you very much. [litherland] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Tom-

I guess that I am one of those 'lurkers', because I seldom have anything of value to add. I always check out posts by several posters (you, bunnyman, Talon, etc..) who consistently have valuable things to say.

Litherland

I beg to differ with you. I'm sure you have a value to add to this forum. I like getting off the topic of alum vs. ti or whatever once in awhile. One of the predominant factors that drew me to this sport is the diversity of participants. I encourage you to throw your hat into the ring once in awhile.

Brett
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I read your articles, Its good reading stuff. Probably one of those first 100 to read them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, I am one of the lurkers and viewers. I have posted a couple of times to Slowtwicth with minimal results, but I make it a point to read your posts along with a few other because of the honesty/usefulness of the content.

Please keep up the good work. I am a Californian now, but grew up in Northwestern Ohio (and graduated from Univ of Detroit) and am planning on stopping by your shop the next time I fly into Detroit Metro to visit my parents just because of your contributions to this forum.

Regards,
Mark
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom,
As a lurker and sometime poster I bow to your and the other experts that post here. I don't have the knowledge base that you and others have and when there is something that I have a strong opinion on I let it be known.

Your style of writing and honesty make reading what ever you write interesting.

Keep up the great job and don't worry about stepping on toes or being politically correct.

Larry
p.s. great fit from last week; stronger already. We'll wait to see what happens with the speed.

Larry

Don't be afraid to ride too long or too hard. That's what cell phones are for. Rich Strauss
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am one of those that reads a lot more than I post, but as someone else just mentioned, I tend to focus on those from a select group whose opinions I have come to respect and you are certainly in that group.

I've been impressed enough by your fit knowledge that I have an appt. to get my position evaluated in your shop this Sunday (that's a 4-5 hour drive for me). Not that I can't do it around where I live, but I'm fairly confident from reading your stuff, that you and/or your team will do it right.

I don't always agree with everything you say, but when it comes to tribikes, bike fit and nasty ex girlfriends, I have come to trust that you know what you're talking about and I've gained some great pointers from you -- Keep Posting!
Quote Reply
Re: "That Guy" Editorial from Tom Demerly [litherland] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom,

wow...i just read "that guy" and it gave me shivers down my spine. Very well written piece, as is everythiing else that you write, both on here and on your site. I also am a big fan of your reviews, they are honest, and you are not trying to push products out the doors using forums or your site, rather giving your honest opinion on them.

I respect that a great deal.

Keep up the good work,

-kevin

"Anyone can work hard when they want to; Champions do it when they don't."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't post too often. I used to post more, then got scolded a few times, and in the process realized that I really don't know what I'm talking about when it comes to training, bike maintenance, wetsuits, and other various and sundry tri-related topics. So I hushed on those topics, and only speak up when I'm fairly sure I have something to contribute. That being said, I may not know much about the tri game, but I do know good writing. I am a former newspaper editor and part time free lance writer (I'm a public health educator full time), and I recognize good writing. Your style of journalism is very appealing to me, and I enjoy your viewpoints immensely. I often perused the reviews on your site long before you ever posted here, and I found them then (and still do) quite fascinating. It is not often that people, especially people with a financial interest at stake, really and truly express their opinions. I remember being shocked when I read your now famous review of the Litespeed Blade. Couldn't believe what I was reading! It was great!

You have quite an insight into our sport, and into life in general, and I (like many others on this forum) find that refreshing and very entertaining. Keep up the good work.

RP
Quote Reply