Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

"Taint-friendly" men's saddle
Quote | Reply
  Now I know that this topic has been more than beaten to death. Though I never had problems with "taint discomfort" during my bike racing days, since I started doing tri's and riding in the aero position this has become a problem. I use plenty of "chamois butt'r", and have tried every cycling/tri short known to man. I've also tried several saddles (currently have the arione tri), and have been fit professionally. I haven't tried the saddles with the cut outs and am intrigued by the new Blackwell saddle as bizarre as that looks! I have found that I can only maintain the aero position for no more than 20 minutes before I have to sit up and relieve pressure. I'm sure this is why I can't get my IM bike split less than 5:20 :)! Any help would be appreciated. I know this is a very individual thing as well.
Quote Reply
Re: "Taint-friendly" men's saddle [Jack Bauer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I use the stock selle italia saddle that came on my p2, works great for me. Have you tried one of those tri specific saddles with all the smooshy padding on the nose?

--
mcoker
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Koobi Tri fixed the taint problem for me. If you don't like it, they will let you return it within 30 days of purchase.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
if you're willing to try the split seats try the bisaddle, from bycycleinc. i love this thing and after playing around with it the saddle is real comfy. Spinning in the gym right now is killing me 'cuz the bikes have regular seats.

www.bycycleinc.com

the guy who makes 'em is incredibly nice too.

----------------------------------------------------------------

My training
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you find yourself moving around on the saddle as you pedal?

Could that be a source of friction that bothers many people?

jaretj
Quote Reply
Re: "Taint-friendly" men's saddle [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
  I don't rock on the bike so I don't think it is friction-related. It seems to be more related to the continuous pressure despite not having much numbness. Keep up the input.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
chamois butt'r doesn't remove the amount of pressure you feel on your taint. Fix your position.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Similar issues here. It may or may not be your position. Actually, the "better" my position, the worse my problem (i.e., properly rotated pelvis = pain). I'm going to assume you've put in plenty of time, so adaptation isn't the issue. If you *really* want to suffer, try it on a trainer. I'm good for about 30 mins now (up from 5 mins a few months ago).

I have found the Selle Italia T1 (or is it T2? I forget) to be the best for me. The Profile Design looks good but is way too firm, as are the Azoto and others I've tried. Have you put a neoprene cover over it? That supposedly works well for some people.

Too f@ckin depressed from various injuries to care about having a signature line.

Sponsored by Blue Shield PPO.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Could the saddle be too soft and letting your sit bones sink into it too much?

Or maybe it's too firm and bouncing you off of the saddle and making you land on your Taint.

jaretj
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tilting the saddle forward a bit works for me.
Quote Reply
Re: "Taint-friendly" men's saddle [Lundin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
...Or moving it just off center a couple of degrees to the side opposite of the Boys.

Shawn
TORRE Consulting Services, LLC
http://www.TORREcs.com

Quote Reply
Re: "Taint-friendly" men's saddle [ShawnF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm serious though...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When time trialing I pretty much ride on the end of the nose of any saddle. I found the very cushy nose of the Profile Design Tri Stryke saddle to be my answer. It is not uncommon to see tri saddles turned a few degrees left or right of center as ShawnF posted, allowing the rider to sit in the center of the bike, but allow stuff that doesn't like to be crushed some relief. I keep the saddle centered and shift from side to side of the nose every 10-15 minutes. Works for me. Good luck.

The new pads in the higher end LG bibs and specialized BG shorts has helped immensely as well. I haven't found a tri short with a good pad yet.
Quote Reply
Re: "Taint-friendly" men's saddle [Hookem] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I like the nose on the PD saddle, it's much better than the nose on the Azoto trigel. That thing was way too hard, felt like I was sitting on a flag pole after an hour. My only beef with the PD trystyke is the cut-out feels brutal. one of the edges is a fraction higher than the other and it digs into my taint similar to riding an the edge of a kitchen knife. To look at it and touch it you wouldn't notice one side of the cut-out is higher but I put a level on it and it is by 1/8" or so. I hope it smooshes down.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Had good results today on my 56-mile ride. I have a Serfas tri saddle and just put a QR cover on it, and I have the Performance Century Gel Shorts. That was the most comfortable I've been in a ride over 30 miles EVER!

------------------
My business-eBodyboarding.com
Quote Reply
Re: "Taint-friendly" men's saddle [TriBodyboarder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I ride a saddleco and have had way less taint pressure than on other seats. I'm still waiting for someone to weigh in on the blackwell saddle that looks like a forklift. (not the toilet seat one) It looks like it might be just right, and JohnCobb seems to do his homework.
Quote Reply