Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

"Swim-with-stick" drill???
Quote | Reply
Earlier tonight my coach had us do a drill that I had never even HEARD of before: He had us grab a stick with both hands, spanning as wide as possible. Then we had to swim while holding the pole. This was by far the weirdest drill I've ever done. I noticed two things while doing this drill:

1. It forced a 100% pure windmill stroke, which is not at all what I normally do. My normal stroke is very "front-quadrant".

2. I had to focus hard on being straight, because any time my hands strayed from the centerline, I would instantly slow down. If I focused on keeping the stick pointed forward at all times, things went much smoother.

As odd as this drill was, I can't deny that my regular swim set immediately following 200 yards of swimming with the stick was quite solid. I was 5 seconds/100 faster than normal, and I felt really smooth. I could tell that I was longer, straighter (most notably on hand entry), and had better body rotation.

I'm wondering if anyone here has done this drill? Like I said, I had never ever heard about it before tonight, and I thought I was fairly well read regarding swim training. I can't find anything on Google.

-Mark Rebuck, http://www.markrebuck.com/
Quote Reply
Re: "Swim-with-stick" drill??? [MarkRebuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had several different coaches over the yearrs who would have us doing the drill. I never felt like I got that much out of it but it was interesting to break up the practice monotony.

IMO the sticks are much more useful for teaching proper flip turns. (they keep you from trying to do too much with your hands to get your body somersaulted around)
Quote Reply