Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

"Sprained" neck from riding aero?
Quote | Reply
I know it sounds silly but I think I've gotten a sprain like neck injury from riding too much too soon in the aero position.

Until last weekend all my riding since my last triathlon in October has been on my mt bike with drop bars, my "training bike" I call it or on my road bike on the trainer. Last Saturday and Sunday I rode my tt/triathlon bike about 50 miles in the aero position.

I was able to swim normally on Monday with no pain in my neck when I rolled my head to breath. Then at work a few hours later it suddenly hit me and has hurt like hell ever since.

From what I've read it's a classic "sprain" like injury but I didn't crash, fall or bump my head. I've been trying to train through it but it's not getting any better.

Any ideas?
Last edited by: beatnic_tx: Mar 11, 06 6:16
Quote Reply
Re: "Sprained" neck from riding aero? [beatnic_tx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
massage?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Go to a phsio / chiro and get some work done.

It's not a sprain more likely muscle spasm because your neck muscles are too weak to support your head in the aero position. Get it released then ride for shorter periods on the aero bars until you adapt.

When in the aero position try and shrug your shoulders, engage your lats and relax your neck. Try not to hyper extend your neck when on the bars, keep your head down and raise your eyes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I may be dead wrong, but sprains are acute injuries, not something caused by holding a position over time. It sounds like you just strained the muscles in your neck/upper back. Because its been some time, ice may not help out too much. I would try heat, massage, and some ibuprofen.

You'll get used to the more agressive position over time and after a few rides youre tolerance for the aero position will increase.

- Nick
Now that I know some of you guys look through the special needs bags for kicks, I'm gonna put some really weird stuff in mine. I can see it now. "What the heck was he going to do with a family pack of KFC chicken, a football helmet full of peanut butter, a 12 inch rubber dildo, and naked pictures of Bea Arthur?"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Perhaps it could be a pinched nerve or disc issues? Ask a chiropractor what to do with those nasty discs to releive pain. IN the meantime, watch your form and get massages regularly if possible!
Quote Reply