Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

"Sport Science" TV Show had an Ironman last night
Quote | Reply
Last night I caught this show on comcast sports, apparently it is from fox sports net originally called sports science. The episode was "to the max!"

In part of it they took an "average" guy, the head scientist on the show and he trained for and did IM Hawaii. It was pretty good in general but had some weak spots in it.
The guy was 5 10 or so and 160 pounds, pretty fit looking. They showed many shots of him running in his trisports.com jersey.

- At the beginning they tested his VO2max on the bike and found he had a 57, based on this they declared he had a 0% chance of finishing an Ironman. And don't we all know that Ironman performance can be predicted by VO2max?

- He trained for 12 weeks, backing out from the numbers they gave, he ran 50 miles per week and rode 120 per week. 50 miles per week is a pretty big number for an "average" guy. I don't recall how much swimming he did but his performance seems to indicate he knew how to swim already.

- After 12 weeks they tested him on the bike again and found he had a VO2max of 63, once again this is on the bike, so lower than his VO2max for the run would be. Based on his 63, they said he had a 13% chance of finishing the race, clearly a rectal extraction.

- He swam 1:03, pretty good swimmer.

- He "tore his iliopsoas" at mile 26 and soldiered on, by the end of the ride he seemed to be doing OK, and did the ride in 7 hours.

- At mile 2 on the run, he couldn't catch his breath and felt lightheaded. The show said that the torn muscle was making his kidneys shut down, very possible but doesn't seem to jive with his complaints.

- Later on, we see him doing alright, no mention that the guy was running low on calories and that's why he was light headed. Walking and then eating allowed him to catch up and off he went.

Final time was 14 hours, pretty solid time all around.

Ended
Quote Reply
Re: "Sport Science" TV Show had an Ironman last night [Kevin in MD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I bet if he'd been lucky enough to be riding a P4 he would have been able to break 7 hours on the bike.
Quote Reply
Re: "Sport Science" TV Show had an Ironman last night [paul_tx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just break 7 hours on a P4 ... blasphemy. Shouldn't have taken over 4 hours even if he had never ridden a bike before. We're talking about a P4 here .... not just any bike ;-)
Dave
Last edited by: dcsxtri10: Oct 2, 08 13:43
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He was riding a specialized transition and a specialized aero helmet. They made a point of pointing that out.

In the other part of the show, they shot a guy in the nuts with a tennis ball.

Yes really.
Quote Reply
Re: "Sport Science" TV Show had an Ironman last night [Kevin in MD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe they should have shot THAT guy in the nuts with a tennis ball. You know, as a scientific experiment, to see if it'd make him race any faster. I think the Chinese are working on that now.

Anyway the douchebag deserves to be shot in the nuts with a tennis ball if he can't break 7 hours wearing an aero helmet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Maybe they should have shot THAT guy in the nuts with a tennis ball. You know, as a scientific experiment, to see if it'd make him race any faster. I think the Chinese are working on that now.

Anyway the douchebag deserves to be shot in the nuts with a tennis ball if he can't break 7 hours wearing an aero helmet.
Phoeey, we know from reading all the experts here that he got much more benefit from that aero helmet than the fast people. Probably would have taken over 8 or 9 hours without that helmet and missed the cutoff. It was the helmet that saved him and the show. I hope they pointed that out.

--------------
Frank,
An original Ironman and the Inventor of PowerCranks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You missed the part where he got hurt 26 miles in
he was pedaling on one leg practically, the guy showed some guts.

In Reply To:

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Re: "Sport Science" TV Show had an Ironman last night [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"He "tore his iliopsoas" at mile 26 and soldiered on, by the end of the ride he seemed to be doing OK, and did the ride in 7 hours."

Well I didn't see where the OP said that he was "pedaling on one leg practically". He did say that he was doing ok by the end.

Not that I know anything but it seems to me that it's always the ones that go in to races which are way over their heads that have all these weird problems crop up.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
does this have any connection to the sportscientist.com blog/site? I really like that, good ex phys stuff.

TV, however, I haven't the time to watch.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I saw the show, he was hurting bad.

But yes, I agree he was in over his head. Training volume that high out of nowhere is not a good idea!1

In Reply To:
"He "tore his iliopsoas" at mile 26 and soldiered on, by the end of the ride he seemed to be doing OK, and did the ride in 7 hours."

Well I didn't see where the OP said that he was "pedaling on one leg practically". He did say that he was doing ok by the end.

Not that I know anything but it seems to me that it's always the ones that go in to races which are way over their heads that have all these weird problems crop up.

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

I couldn't stop rolling on the floor laughing as that guy got that tennis ball shot at his junk. Apparently, he's a stuntman and got paid $50 to be the test dummy. They also measured his heart rate, his resting heart rate was like 70 bpm, but when his nuts were hit, it spiked up to 182 bpm. I couldn't get my heart rate that high if I tried.......
Quote Reply
Re: "Sport Science" TV Show had an Ironman last night [brownnugen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe you're not trying in the right way. Perhaps the P4 bottle/toolkit could be rigged to shoot a tennis ball into your nuts every 5-10 miles. This way you'd have the best of both worlds, aerobike and appropriate heart rate. Add in the aerohelmet and you could challenge Macca for the title. Its not in the training, its in the equipment!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In the other part of the show, they shot a guy in the nuts with a tennis ball.
lol :)

and all credibility goessss OUT the window. :)

36 kona qualifiers 2006-'23 - 3 Kona Podiums - 4 OA IM AG wins - 5 IM AG wins - 18 70.3 AG wins
I ka nana no a 'ike -- by observing, one learns | Kulia i ka nu'u -- strive for excellence
Garmin Glycogen Use App | Garmin Fat Use App
Quote Reply
Re: "Sport Science" TV Show had an Ironman last night [MarkyV] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It was me, and it was a legitimate experiment to see if a man with brass balls can feel pain.
Quote Reply
Re: "Sport Science" TV Show had an Ironman last night [eganski] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Your ass is in Hawaii, you're bored, and you have nothing better to do then harrass me. Juuuuust grrrrreat. Sun doesn't set for another 90 minutes... shouldn't you be outside?

Mike's comeback: "I am you dolt... I'm chillin' on the lanai at Lava Java"
MVA: "oh that stings"

36 kona qualifiers 2006-'23 - 3 Kona Podiums - 4 OA IM AG wins - 5 IM AG wins - 18 70.3 AG wins
I ka nana no a 'ike -- by observing, one learns | Kulia i ka nu'u -- strive for excellence
Garmin Glycogen Use App | Garmin Fat Use App
Quote Reply
Re: "Sport Science" TV Show had an Ironman last night [brownnugen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think my heartrate got to about 180 watching that. $50-I can't even think what my price would have been!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
and from my untrained perspective his bike fit looked awful, even the wife who doesnt get too fixated about the finer points of bike fit mentioned it the moment she saw him ride.