Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

"Spinning" on a Trainer
Quote | Reply
Fortunately in TX, we can usually ride outside year round. However, I just bought a cycleops Mag trainer in order to do more quality interval work w/out having to stop for cars and lights. When warming up, or needing to keep a 90 to 95 cadence, I'm in the lowest gear. And in most workouts, I'm utilizing the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd lowest gears.

I've adjusted the tension of the wheel on the tire, but too loose and the tire slips. I usually turn 1.5 to 2 times after the trainer wheel touches the tire.

Is this gearing normal? I averaged 22 mph at Austin 70.3 last year so it's not like i'm a weak cyclist.
Quote Reply
Re: "Spinning" on a Trainer [daltri1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I find my workouts on the trainer are much harder than outside. Don't know if it's perception, but holding 22mph on the trainer always seems much harder than 22mph on the road.
Quote Reply
Re: "Spinning" on a Trainer [Azr43l] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
On a flat road, w/ no to little wind, I can hold a 95 at much higher gears. On the trainer, I'm in 1st or 2nd gear. If I did 1st or 2nd gear same conditions above outside, I'd be 120+ cadence. Just wondering if this is normal. If I loosen the wheel tension anymore than i have it (1.5 - 2 turns after touching tire), the tire slips.
Quote Reply
Re: "Spinning" on a Trainer [daltri1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don't worry at all about what gears or trainer settings you are using. If you have a powermeter on your bike, use that. If you only have an HR monitor use that. If you have neither (or even if you have both)....use perceived exertion.

When I'm in shape my FTP might be 275 or 285. On the road I might see a regular 25-27mph and be in the 53-13 or 53-14. On my Kurt Kinetic, I'm routinely at 53-17 or 53-19 and ~21-22mph for that given power (and corresponding hr).

Bottom line...don't try to equate trainer settings to the road. Just train at the effort you are supposed to train at for the time periods you're supposed to train for (2x20, 1x40, 1x60, 6x5 or otherwise). Nothing downline from your pedals matters much in the equation to elicit the correct TRAINING response.
Quote Reply
Re: "Spinning" on a Trainer [TriBriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
good feedback, thanks!
Quote Reply