Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
"Short torso" frames
Quote | Reply
Without getting into the whole frame fit debate, which frames are considered better for long leg short torso types?

This is your life, and it's ending one minute at a time. - Fight Club
Industry Brat.
Quote Reply
Re: "Short torso" frames [bigsky17] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd like to hear about frames like this as well.

So far my research comes up with the Blue T12. The top tube is slightly shorter than standard frames and it has a 3 position seatpost. It's also very sexy as bikes go.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
girl's frames :)

--
mcoker
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Also interested in this...

Hope someone can post a list of frames for us people with short torsos.

I had to size down for my bike because in the frames recommended according to my inseam, the top tubes were just way too long. :(
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As a general rule European frames (Colnago for instance) have a shorter top tube than US frames (Litespeed for instance).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had that problem when looking for a new tri bike last year. I'm pretty tall, 6' 3-4", but when I was looking at bikes I had to go with 58 cm bikes in order to get my top tube short enough. The problem then became getting a head tube tall enough. I can get fairly low, but I still need at least 15 - 16 cm of head tube. In the end I had a custom frame made by Russ Denny (http://www.russdennybicycles.com/). He web site isn't too much to look at, but he was great to talk to about my bike frame.

Good luck and happy Thanksgiving.

Adam
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've found that the steeper the setup, the more comfortable and powerful my position. I have long legs short torso. 6'2, 36.5 inseam. Probably has a lot to do with the shorter effective top tube with forward geometry. I ride a 58cm P3 with the seat as far forward is it goes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am tough to fit on a tri bike-long legs, crazy long femurs, and short torso. I had to go custom to get a good fit. I went with a Serotta CX II and cannot say enough good things about it.
Quote Reply
Re: "Short torso" frames [shredder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does any of the long-leg short-torso types have fit pickies they would like to post?
It does seem to come down to finding a short top tube frame with a long enough head tube and then using shorter aerobars to ensure you don't destroy your knees.
I'm waiting to see what size head tubes the P2C and the new carbon Trek will have but so far it looks as if I might fit the Isaac best...
SteveMc
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm no expert, but I think womens' frames. Try on a QR.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have found that Giant frames with the compact frames have a shorter top tube for shorter torsos.

Bought the Giant TT frame medium and it fits like a glove (I am 6ft tall, 33-34 inseam)

Mark
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Road bike or Tri bike? If tri, consider the QR's. I would fit a medium Caliente, or a 55cm Tequilo. Stay away from the Felt's, they have relatively long op tubes. For road bikes, I would steer clear of Trek's and Bianchi's. Giant's are OK, though I found the steeing to be a bit twitchy for me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ELITE!!!

"In order to arrive at what you are not, you must move throught the way in which you are not."
T.S. Elliot
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quintana roo has shorter top tubes, if I am not mistaken; I am also short torso type- I went with custom guru cron alu.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If a road bike get a "women's geometry" bike. Some companies paint a regular frame pink and call it "women's specific", but others are actually making shorter top tube frames for the "typical" long leg/short torso. Trek and Lemond are good two examples.
Quote Reply
Re: "Short torso" frames [SpinHo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
ELITE!!!
WRONG!

Too f@ckin depressed from various injuries to care about having a signature line.

Sponsored by Blue Shield PPO.
Quote Reply
Re: "Short torso" frames [Aztec] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Actually, the Elite's are not that bad if you ride steep. The 55cm has a 54 top tube and a 76 degree STA. You ride this one at 78 degrees and the top tube becomes relatively short. For my seat height, moving the saddle to a 78 degree postion is roughly 2cm.

Of course, the stock Yaqui 55 has a 53cm TT, which is perfect for me.
Quote Reply
Re: "Short torso" frames [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I dunno, I remember this topic came up before and gerard says the reach on WSD's isn't shorter. Then the thread died. From my limited research, I noticed Gios has some decent measurements for us short torso types.

In Reply To:

While the toptubes of these WSD bikes are shorter, their reach is not shorter. They all combine shorter toptubes with steeper seattube angles, which move the entire toptube forward. So they are really shortening the toptube from the rear, not the front, and the headtube is still equally far away from your saddle (assumingyou have decided on a certain saddle setback) as before. to put it more plainly, if you line up a 43cm Trek WSD and a 48cm Cervelo Soloist with the bb in line, the headtubes will also approximately align. Go figure. Not to mention that women-specific is nonsense anyway, women do not have different body dimensions than men wrt bike fit. Shorter people have different ratios that taller women, and there ar erelatively more women, b ut a woman and a man 5'2" tall have on average the same proportions. So there is no need for WSD, there is a need for properly designing the smaller frame sizes. but of course that doesn't market as nicely as selling WSD. Gerard
Cervélo Cycles
gerard@cervelo.com
Quote Reply
Re: "Short torso" frames [JohnA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Actually, the Elite's are not that bad if you ride steep. The 55cm has a 54 top tube and a 76 degree STA. You ride this one at 78 degrees and the top tube becomes relatively short. For my seat height, moving the saddle to a 78 degree postion is roughly 2cm.

Interesting. The Elite head tube is still very low for the height of the top tube, though. I checked it out recently and alas, it wouldn't fit me any better than the Soloist.

That Yaqui sounds good... 53cm TT at what steepness?

Too f@ckin depressed from various injuries to care about having a signature line.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

I just checked this, thinking it was too good to be true... and it is. The 55cm has a 54.3 TT and with a HT only 11.5cm. That's a long TT for a tri bike at 78*!!!!

The Soloist, meanwhile, set at 76*, in a 56cm, has a TT of 53.5cm and a HT of 16cm. Bummer, because I'd really like to get off the Soloist and its infernal creaking seatpost!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is that for the Yaqui? From the web site? If so, that's for the aerolite, which he isn't even making anymore. My specs, taken from the CAD drawing are:

Mariola 55/78Deg - 700c

TT 530mm c-c
HT 95mm (non-integrated)
ST 519.7 c-t
STA 78 degrees

Again, these are stock measurements.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Is that for the Yaqui? From the web site? If so, that's for the aerolite, which he isn't even making anymore. My specs, taken from the CAD drawing are:

Mariola 55/78Deg - 700c

TT 530mm c-c
HT 95mm (non-integrated)
ST 519.7 c-t
STA 78 degrees

Again, these are stock measurements.
Yep. from the website. But... it says specifically that it's for the Mariola. yaquiusa.com

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, that's out of date, too. I don't think he has updated the site in a few years. My CAD is from June 2004.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yikes! So where does a dude get info on laying down some cash in exchange for a frame!!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sales@yaquiusa.com

or you can call them.

Gotta love the small business!
Quote Reply

Prev Next