Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
"Shaving your legs is girly"
Quote | Reply
Said my wife to me.

I did try to sell her on the "it makes me faster in the pool" or "it gives me an extra 5w on the bike" or "its better when i get a massage".

Did you guys ever face this and how did you tackle this issue?
Quote Reply
Re: "Shaving your legs is girly" [tamiii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not going to lose a race because of hairy legs so I don't shave, and never have. Mark Spitz won many gold medals with a full head of hair and no swim cap. Hair definitely makes a difference in the water but in air, not so much. Not on legs anyway. It's just performance vanity to think it does.
Quote Reply
Re: "Shaving your legs is girly" [NealH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"In the air, not so much"

Still a free 5-15 watts on the bike (depending on how hairy you are). Thats a pretty decent amount!

Anyway, I shave because it is cleaner and makes any road rash more tolerable. Wife doesnt like it but that's her loss.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There is nothing that looks worse in this world than hairy legs in a cycling kit.

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't shave for 5 days and snuggle in bed. She will ask you to shave:-)

Dan Kennison

facebook: @triPremierBike
http://www.PremierBike.com
http://www.PositionOneSports.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
All the cool kids do it.

And hairy legs are not a good look in a race photo.

"Human existence is based upon two pillars: Compassion and knowledge. Compassion without knowledge is ineffective; Knowledge without compassion is inhuman." Victor Weisskopf.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tamiii wrote:
Said my wife to me.

I did try to sell her on the "it makes me faster in the pool" or "it gives me an extra 5w on the bike" or "its better when i get a massage".

Race bikes where you are bound to go down a few times a year. Deal with road rash whilst having hairy legs. This quickly becomes a concern with healing and hygiene. Also, it does make you faster on the bike and in the pool.

That should be enough.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here's the thing: I like the Wife more than I like sport. She has a strong opinion against my shaven legs. I respect her and her opinion. I absolutely could shave down against her wishes. This, however, is not something I'd like to put on the 'con' side of my participation in tri. I rely on her support as much as my training, perhaps more. Therefore, I don't shave. She's worth losing the extra ~3 seconds in a race.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: "Shaving your legs is girly" [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri-Banter wrote:
Here's the thing: I like the Wife more than I like sport. She has a strong opinion against my shaven legs. I respect her and her opinion. I absolutely could shave down against her wishes. This, however, is not something I'd like to put on the 'con' side of my participation in tri. I rely on her support as much as my training, perhaps more. Therefore, I don't shave. She's worth losing the extra ~3 seconds in a race.
Give it a few years ;) (pink)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yes, i did face it.

my solution was to get some tall aero socks!

80/20 Endurance Ambassador
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
NealH wrote:
Hair definitely makes a difference in the water but in air, not so much. Not on legs anyway.
Are you new to ST???
Quote Reply
Re: "Shaving your legs is girly" [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri-Banter wrote:

My significant other also enjoys the fact that I have man hair where man hair is supposed to be.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
NealH wrote:
I'm not going to lose a race because of hairy legs so I don't shave, and never have.

How many races have you won with hairy legs?

https://www.strava.com/...tes/zachary_mckinney
Quote Reply
Re: "Shaving your legs is girly" [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DFW_Tri wrote:
NealH wrote:
Hair definitely makes a difference in the water but in air, not so much. Not on legs anyway.
Are you new to ST???

lol riiiight

https://www.strava.com/...tes/zachary_mckinney
Quote Reply
Re: "Shaving your legs is girly" [damon.lebeouf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
damon.lebeouf wrote:
yes, i did face it.

my solution was to get some tall aero socks!

Just tell them you are AWA!!!!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tamiii wrote:
Said my wife to me.

Just own it. Assuming you don’t have any self confidence issues, let her tease you about it, then laugh when your man stubble stabs her.
Quote Reply
Re: "Shaving your legs is girly" [dkennison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dkennison wrote:
Don't shave for 5 days and snuggle in bed. She will ask you to shave:-)

This was the key. Then she liked it, then she didn't like hair when I didn't shave when injured.

Legs look better when shaved when you are fit too. Word on the street.

DFRU - Detta Family Racing Unit...the kids like it and we all get out and after it...gotta keep the fam involved!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My Ex-gf actually said “If you shave your legs I’ll stop shaving mine.” Needless to say I abstained but my fiancé doesn’t care so I do now but only around races.
Quote Reply
Re: "Shaving your legs is girly" [BGildenstern] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Shaved legs look good- man or woman. Do it for the vanity.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah myvgf is not a fan either. I often use compression tubes so they cover.most of the lower leg and thus you are only really shacing for the knee area.

I did it for a last season race as i really wanted a PR, problem is it takes over a month to grow out
Quote Reply
Re: "Shaving your legs is girly" [lassekk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
just spent 600 usd on a ceramicspeed OSPW. you bet i’m shaving

5 Watts is a significant percent of my wattage output

come on of course i’m doing it

it would be hard for me to imagine something i care less about than someone thinking i’m “girly” when prepping for an Ironman. there’s some irony there. not to mention girls beat me all the time
Quote Reply
Re: "Shaving your legs is girly" [cloy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cloy wrote:
There is nothing that looks worse in this world than hairy legs in a cycling kit.

This ^
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tamiii wrote:
Did you guys ever face this
No.

davidalone wrote:
I shave because it is cleaner and makes any road rash more tolerable.
This road rash thing - that's really part of your reason?

http://www.jt10000.com/
Last edited by: jt10000: Jan 31, 20 1:32
Quote Reply
Re: "Shaving your legs is girly" [cloy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cloy wrote:
Yes, there is.
Quote Reply
Re: "Shaving your legs is girly" [jt10000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes. I race bikes mainly, triathlon is a side activity, so going down is much more common. Ever tried hairy legs with road rash? Not a fun combo.
Quote Reply

Prev Next