Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

"Road" Powertap on a 29er??
Quote | Reply
Could I run a normal Cycleops Powertap Hub on a typical 29er frame? Or would the rear spacing be too different?

I would love it if I could build a used wired powertap hub onto a XC 29er rim for a winter training whip. I would just get a V-brake going in the back. Maybe rock a disc up front.

Any thoughts? I know the make the Powertap Disc, but it is hella expensive.

Is the rear spacing thing a fatal flaw of this idea, or is there some possible way to adapt the axle/hub, or just bend the frame in and clamp it?
Quote Reply
Re: "Road" Powertap on a 29er?? [PSolver] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No problems (except slower wheel change).
Quote Reply
Re: "Road" Powertap on a 29er?? [Nicko] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
why slower wheel change?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The MTB frame is 135mm wide and the road hub is 130mm.
You'll probably have to "compress" the frame slightly while you put the dropouts onto the axle ends, or it will drop down onto the 5mm quick release rod.

So not ideal when fixing a flat in a race, but doable.

Another thing, you don't need a "29er" rim. A road rim works fine for your MTB (or CX for that matter).
I've been preaching this solution for a long time. One powermeter that does training&racing road, TT (with cover), CX and non discbrake 29er MTB. No other PM can do that.
Quote Reply
Re: "Road" Powertap on a 29er?? [Nicko] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sounds pretty sweet. now the trick is finding a lightweight Alu 29er frame that still has V-brake mounts!?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another option is to find a nice CX frame with enough "mud clearance" to fit a 2.1" 29er MTB tire...
Up front you can swap between a carbon CX fork and a "short stroke" MTB suspension fork. Maybe..
Quote Reply