Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

"Regular" sports athletes v.s. triathletes
Quote | Reply
I have had the chance ( I would say luxury but I don't think it is) of meeting/spending time with some of the best athletes/coaches in the 'regular' sports, if you will. I have spent time with Johnny Bench, Orlando Pace, Kevin Randleman (NCAA wrestling champion and Ultimate Fighting Challenge Champion), Mark Aker (professional baseball), Kenny Monday (wrestling World Cup and Olympic champion) and many more that people would not recognize their names. I even had the opportunity to coach two athletes that have enjoyed professional careers. I once had the opportunity of working the 1990 National League Championship Series and the World Series as a Media Runner. Before one of the games between the Pirates and the Reds, I had the opportunity of going on the field. Being a college player with every intention of going pro, it was a dream come true to me. It was quickly deflated as Barry Bonds and Eric Davis were talking close to home plate and Eric Davis called me over by yelling, "Hey white boy!" As I pointed to myself in disbelief that he was talking to me, he once again yelled, "Yea you, white boy." I smiled and didn't think much of it and then he yelled, "Where did you park my car? Make sure my car is washed for after the game." He and Barry Bonds preceded to laugh in my direction. What a couple of assholes.

I have been in the sport of triathlon for almost two years. I am, in this sport, unlike any other sport that I played in my life, below average. But, I have never had so much fun in two years as I have had with this sport. I have had the opportunity of meeting some professional triathletes that NEVER act like they are better than you in any way. Within one week, I have had the LUXURY of spending time with Sergio Marques, Olaf Sabatschus, Jonathan Caron, Kimberly Hager and Francois Modave. An Ironman Champion and some others who could very likely have a championship or at least a very high placing in their future. Do you think they treated me like I was a below average triathlete? No way. I also have spent time with upper level AG'ers that have either qualified for Hawaii or are going to this year (ironclm...no pressure Jaylew, Desert Dude, Marisol, etc.) and some excellent coaches that have a ton of knowledge (SAC, Desert Dude) and also a ton of people that are way better than me in this sport (Armored Avenger, Relax2dmax, etc.) Do you think that I have ever felt like I was below average? No way. Not for a second.

Consider me in this sport hook, line and sinker. Thank you to everyone that has helped me enjoy this sport as much as I do and making the first race that I signed up for a blessing instead of a mistake (I was sweating profusely on active.com the first time I ever entered a race). Even though we may disagree on things like religion, politics, who's hot and who's not, 99% of the people on this forum are great people that I would consider my friends. Thank you to slowman for a site like this that enables someone like myself to learn something new every day. I feel honored to participate in a sport that provides me so much pleasure instead of sports like baseball, football and basketball that provide such grief.

Happy training to all and thank you....for everything.
Quote Reply
Re: "Regular" sports athletes v.s. triathletes [briantryintri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great post Brian.

Before going to graduate school I did a 3 year internship as a student athletic trainer at the University of Wisconsin. By far the worst experience was with the football team, and I'm a big Badger Football fan. Even the scrubs who you knew would never make it off the practice squad had gigantic egos. They always treated us like servants. It was degrading. Now, of course, not all of them treated us like that, but the few bad apples certainly made it a less than positive experience for me. Never mind the fact that was a losing season for us.

The lower profile teams I worked with were much more enjoyable. They were lower profile, but certainly not sub-standard. I worked with Track & Field and they won Conf championships indoor, outdoor and XC that year and I also worked with Volleyball and they ended up 4th at NCAA that year. They were definitely more respectful.

In the sport of triathlon I have also had the good fortune to meet and even hang out with some pros. Not to be a name dropper but I had a couple of dinners with Macca, hung out with Jamie Whitmore, Jason Chaulker and Taro Shirato. They were all great fun, always willing to give advice and not at all shy with the compliments. Definitely very genuine people.

Dan Hollingsworth

Nobody grows old by merely living a number of years. People grow old only by deserting their ideals. Years may wrinkle the skin, but to give up interest wrinkles the soul." - Douglas MacArthur
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have had the opportunity of meeting some professional triathletes that NEVER act like they are better than you in any way.

In triathlon, that behavior seems relegated to the folks that are "2nd tier". Check out the 13-hour IM cutoff thread or many of the numerous poser threads for examples. Strangely, in triahtlon, its not the elite folks that have the arrogant swagger ... it's the folks that finish 2-4 hours behind the elites that seem to have all the attitude. I guess that's what happens when a sport does not have goons, strong safeties, flagrant fouls, or pitchers that throw mid 90s. =)

I think it is pretty cool that quite a few elite triathletes disclose so much information to other triathletes ... even those that are "beneath" them.

As for the superstars in "regular sports". Let's compare apples to apples here ... those guys are put on pedstals starting in about 5th grade. Whenever everyone treats you as superhuman your whole life, it has to be mightly tough to keep yourself grounded in humility.

=======================
-- Every morning brings opportunity;
Each evening offers judgement. --
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd agree about the egos (does income/prestige have anything to do with it?).

As an added note, I too was a team sport participant for many years. Though I could usually find ONE person on my teams that would give guidance, tips or general help to a "lesser" athlete, I have found that nearly everyone in the tri community is willing to help. It's refreshing.

My wife has also commented that the races are much more fun to attend and that the participants and spectators are "a much better group of people".

http://www.churchofcycling.org
Quote Reply
Re: "Regular" sports athletes v.s. triathletes [TripleThreat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree that these people were put on pedastels early in their lives, but I have met people who are incredibly successful that are not that way (Jim Thome, Steve Nash for example). I really think that you can be a regular person even though you are famous. Granted, these athletes do not know who they can trust and people do not come into our offices at work and boo or throw things at us, but you can still be a good person and that does not necessarily mean that you have to talk to every Tom, Dick and Harry.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's funny that of all the sports mentioned, nobody mentioned hockey. I've had a chance to rub elbows with a number of hockey players. They are some of the most unassuming, humble, down-to-earth, regular guys. Ray Bourque is one of the most humble people I've met. Joe Sakic too. As with anywhere you go, there are the prima donni, but they're the exception. Going back to arrogance in baseball, though, I met Ken Griffey Jr. after a game during his last year in the minors. We were a couple of kids looking for autographs and we asked for his. His reply was that he'd be back out in a few minutes. A few minutes came and went...no autograph. But these days, I'm past all that. I don't get star-struck. I'd be just as happy with a hand shake and a, "Nice to meet ya."

----------

Since life ultimately ends in death, life itself is life-threatening.

SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES... NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY STILL BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN YOU PUSH THEM DOWN A FLIGHT OF STAIRS
Quote Reply
Re: "Regular" sports athletes v.s. triathletes [TripleThreat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think this is the case with just about everything. It's not the elite that are jerks, is the not-quite-elite-so-I-have-an-insecurity-complex that seem to have the biggest attitudes.
Quote Reply
Re: "Regular" sports athletes v.s. triathletes [kupe du monde] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can not attest to hockey as I grew up in a non-hockey town and never had the opportunity. I have always admired hockey players because they went out and played hard and you never heard much about contract negotiations....until this year of course.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Brian T, your a top class guy who has proven he will go way out of his way to be kind to others and help friends out. And you can cook! See you in the morning.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ouch. I always figured Eric Davis was a good guy. In retrospect, though, I don't know why I thought that.

However, Sean Casey (Reds first baseman) lives across the street from my in-laws, and they tell me that he is as nice a guy as one could meet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What a great post! I have to agree that the tri community is a great thing to be a part of. I do not tri myself, but I volunteer at races regularly and have found the athletes to be a great bunch of people. I have only witnessed one incident of an athlete behaving poorly, angry about a penalty, and he was eventually DQ'd for his conduct, as he should have been. As parents, we tenatively ventured into the adult-dominated triathlon scene with our daughter. Gratefully, it has been a wonderful experience for her. We have received lots of encouragement and advice. Her fellow athletes have been very supportive and kind, except when they get stuck behind her on a no-passing bridge! I look forward to being a part of the tri community for years to come.
Quote Reply
Re: "Regular" sports athletes v.s. triathletes [Big Duke Six] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can tell you of at least one extreme class act in pro fotball...Will Shields, who is the highest paid Kansas City Chief, makes the pro bowl every year for the last 9 or 10 years, and was the 2004 NFL man of the year.

Will and his family are incredibly nice, down to earth, and very involved in our community. They drive older model vehicles and while they live in a very nice house, it's not near what he could afford. The Shields choose to buy books, (thousands of them) for underprivildged families, they spen their money on others.

My kids have grown up with them playing soccer and attending the same school. One of the funniest thigs ever was when we were waiting to see one of my kids teachers for parent-teacher conferences and Will walks out of the room with his daughter. My youngest son was wearing an Oakland Raiders hat and Will grabs him, picks him up and says, "them are fightin' words boy!"

And ya haven't lived until you see Will doing the 'YMCA' at the Father-Duaghter dance!

Enough good things cannot be said about Will and his family.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Triathlon started as friends getting together for friendly competition, and I hope it stays that way. Read the stories about some of the characters who participated in the first Ironman (you can view the 1979 Sports Illustrated article at the Trizilla Web site) - I think it puts some perspective on what we do now and what this is really about.
Quote Reply